Sign in to follow this  
Phil Rogers

Should I listen to my friend who said my estimate is twice the price it should be?

Question

I priced a house wash (80 linear feet), gutter clean (40 linear), and a deck clean (458 sq ft + 8 steps).

I priced the house at:

$150.00

Gutter Clean:

$80.00

Deck Clean (no seal):

$435

Total: $665

My friend who used to be in the pressure washing business said I should charge no more than $325.00

Am I that far off? He also said I should not use chemicals on the deck or house wash because the house or deck doesn't really need it. I feel that my price may have been a bit high for the area, but I don't think I was 100% too high!

Any thoughts?

34 answers to this question

UUUMMMMMM.... Phil, your friend USED TO BE IN THE PRESSURE WASHING BUSINESS...... And I'll give you 2 guesses why.... Hint.... Your post has all the answers!!!!

Just in case you cant read between the lines Guy has laid out there, your friend is probably not washing because he lowballed himself out of business and he had ZERO I dea what the heck he was doing!

Just for kicks the entire linear footage of this house is only 80 feet? What the heck is it a small trailer or something?

And as far as this comment "He also said I should not use chemicals on the deck or house wash because the house or deck doesn't really need it"

I am at a loss for words! NEVER NEVER NEVER pressure wash a deck! Chems are the ONLY solution strip the old away with chems and brighten with another - The only way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one ever said this job was easy, but your friend must not have studied the process of pressure washing very well. Chemicals are used for very specific applications. Knowing what chemicals to use and when to use it in the correct proportions will keep you in business, unlike your friend.

If you sell price, you will price yourself out of business.

No disrespect Guys, but you have to charge a price that makes your Company a profit. Sell yourself and the benefits of using your Company.

I agree with Guy. You gotta sell yourself and show the customer how choosing your company will benefit them. Create a professional image.

As for your friend, $325 sounds like a weekend warrior price, not the price a professional cleaning company would give.

80 linear feet? Is it a row house or town home? I just can't picture a home that size otherwise.

Just make sure your not selling yourself short, and deffinately plan on using chemicals.

Edited by Chesapeake

Thanks for all of the responses..

Yes, it is a row home / duplex with a decent sized deck off of the back.

When he told me that the deck doesn't need chemicals and then told me he never used chemicals, I got confused because it went against nearly everything I have read. This job would be for a friend of his, so I am sure he will probably run from any price I give since he is expecting a low price like his buddy used to give.

He runs a successful landscaping business and used to pressure wash along with that, but as someone in here mentioned, I don't think he did a lot of research on proper technique, etc.

This is my first year in this business and I am just trying to do everything right. I thank all of you for your help. It feels good to know that I am moving in the right direction!

that area you might on for the house, and gutter, but the deck in that area you are high you might get high 100's to just clean and brigthen

Andrew,

Do you have experience in the Glen Burnie / Pasadena area for decks? I also thought this customer would run away from my price, but other people I have talked to would use me in a heart beat for these prices.

Knowing the demographics of the area, do you guys ever come down on price or do you always maintain the same price for all areas? This is probably a big time rookie question.

In my area lawn guys are notorious for being under knowledged, under equipped, and under priced in exterior cleaning. In fact, they usually just leave a black eye on our industry. You're the one doing the research. YOU are the professional. trust what you've learned and the guys on forums like this one and you can't go wrong.

I know there is company in that area doing decks for cheaper. house and gutter you are good . chris are you say you can get 425.00 to clean 458 sqft that is not big deck if so I am putting a bigger add in your area lol. because the people at the beaches would laugh

You're the one doing the research. YOU are the professional. trust what you've learned and the guys on forums like this one and you can't go wrong.

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!! Great statement Lance!!!

Phil, knowledge = power, power = money, money = successful business owner.

Thanks a ton, everyone.

I did my first house and deck wash today, for my parents... Everything turned out really well and there are definitely things I could improve on. Thanks to this website, I think I was much much much more improved than I would have been. I did have trouble getting some junk of the facia on the 2nd story, but I eventually got it as clean as I could. I will post pictures when I load them on my PC, but ahhh, it feels good!

The cheapest guy in town is just that - the cheapest guy in town. :lol:

I would rather be somewhat higher in price and thought of as the BEST company in town. :dancing:

Your friend USED to be in business. Why isn't he now?

Beth :groovy3:

Hey Beth, sorry I didn't see this sooner.

He still does pressure washing, but mainly landscaping. I have since heard some horror stories about his work, but he's always been the "go to" guy for people that don't really care if the work is done right, who just want a cheap price.

I have since submitted several estimates and have not budged on my pricing. If someone is not willing to pay a fair price, then I am moving on, there is plenty of work out there!

I have since submitted several estimates and have not budged on my pricing. If someone is not willing to pay a fair price, then I am moving on, there is plenty of work out there!

Now, if more Contractors would start to understand that, they would see they're profit margins rise!!!

Wow!

Itty-bitty little house !

Is the deck bigger than the house ?

...sounds a bit high for doing the deck part, but I haven't seen it.

No worries... YOU set your prices, they decide if you get to work.

Far easier to come down in price, and give them a 'bargain' to close a deal, after you've discussed the merits of your excellent workmanship and sterling reputation and all that stuff. . . than do a job too cheap. Hard to bump up a price when you discover you've almost lost your shirt.

Good luck

When it comes to the deck, it depends how complex it is. If it has a bunch of railing...that costs more. 8 steps can have 20 feet of railing.

Love the pics now use them to make some door hangers and promote your good work around the neighborhood!