Sign in to follow this  
rick77

"Wet & Forget" ?????????

Question

One of my customers called today to ask what I could tell her about a product called "Wet & Forget". She said it's a product that you can spray on moldy & mildewy surfaces and just leave it there and it supposedly does a great job. I told her I had never heard of the product but that I would ask about it on the power washing forum.

I'm scheduled to power wash her house in a couple of weeks but I think she's interested in the Wet & Forget product for in between power washing services. Anybody know anything about this product?

15 answers to this question

I was aware of this product some time ago but have never tried it. I work with a roofer at times and she said they used it in orlando and seemed to have some god results. She and I have discussed it recently and she is planning to do a test application. However I was in the local Ace Hardware today and they have it on the shelf. There was a 1 Gal jug priced at $35. it mixes at 5:1 and was to be used on overcast days to avoid evaporation. On a hot day in FL it would evaporate in no time. But how many cloudy days do you have? Also not to be used if rain is expected.

Bottom line is that it would take a minimum of 6 gals undiluted I think and that is $210 in product alone. Assuming approx 2000 SF roof. AND if this cleaning is due to HOA notice this stuff is of little value as it takes 6 - 12 months to see results. AND suggests a retreat in about 2 months for stubborn stains AND you may want to retreat in 6 months BUT you should not apply more than 6 times a year. There is another product that was on the shelf as well that can go 9:1 but it has some warnings about plants, animals and children.

It can not be any cheaper and seems much more labor intensive than just the standard chlorine/soap mixture.

I would like to read the other thread but search "wet & forget" only yields this thread. Any other clues on the other thread content/subject?

I would like to read the other thread but search "wet & forget" only yields this thread. Any other clues on the other thread content/subject?

The other thread is titled "Spray & Forget" but I think they are referring to the same product. Not much info in that thread though.

Two days ago I emailed the company that makes "Wet & Forget" and asked them to send me an MSDS but I haven't heard from them yet. They did have a link to the MSDS on their website but it didn't work.

I don't plan to use the product myself. From what I've read here so far it looks like it would be expensive and a long time before any results could be seen whether they be good or bad. Maybe I'll print out this thread and give it to my customer so she can decide for herself whether or not the product is something she wants to use.

My bad, the Wet and forget thread was on a roof cleaning forum I'm a member of.

Here is the Wet and Forget MSDS

Trade name: Wet and Forget

1. Product and Company identification.

1.1 Product name: Wet and Forget 9.9% -

0.5gallon - 800003, 800033CA, W28800003

2 x 0.75 gallon - 800012

1 gallon – 800006, 800066CA, W28800006

1.2 Company Name:

Wet and Forget Inc

PO Box 5805

Elgin

Illinois 60121

USA

Phone Toll Free 888 727 8524

1.3 Emergency Telephone Number:

Chemtrec – 1-800-262-8200

2. Composition/information on ingredients

Chemical characterisation of the preparation:

Contains: N-Dodecyl/tetradecyl-N,N-dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride

Content: 9.9%

CAS Reg No: 8001-54-5

3. Hazards identification

Severe eye irritant. Corrosive to skin –repeated or prolonged contact may result in

dermatitis or skin sensitisation. Ingestion can cause burning pain in mouth, throat and

abdomen – May be fatal if ingested.

Inhalation of mists can produce respiratory irritation.

4. First aid measures

4.1 After contact with the eyes:

Immediately rinse eyes with running water for at least 15 minutes.

Seek medical attention immediately.

4.2 After contact with the skin:

Remove contaminated clothing. Wash affected area thoroughly with soap and water.

4.3 After inhalation:

If safe to do so, remove from exposure, give artificial respiration if required. Seek medical

attention immediately.

4.4 Ingestion:

Seek immediate medical attention. If conscious, give 3-4 glasses of milk

(or if unavailable, water.)

DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING.

4.5 Note to physician:

Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate use of gastric lavage.

Single dose of activated charcoal is the recommended gastrointestinal decontamination

procedure - Adult 50-100g, Child 1-2 g/kg

5. Fire fighting measures

5.1 Extinguishing media:

Suitable: all

5.2 Special Fire Fighting Procedures:

This product is not flammable.

5.3 Unusual Fire and explosion hazards:

Hazardous products of combustion: Toxic organic vapours, amines, oxides of carbon and

nitrogen & hydrogen chloride.

6. Accidental release measures

6.1 Spills:

Wear appropriate protective equipment and respirator where mists or vapours of unknown

concentrations may be generated.

Large amounts: Do not allow the product to enter drains, sewers or waterways. Remove

leaking containers to a detached area. Bund spill area and recover – consider recycling.

Absorb spilled product with inert material (e.g. sand, earth etc.)

Small amounts: Wash away with plenty of water.

Floors may become slippery.

NB. Vigorous flushing may generate copious foam.

6.2 Disposal: Dispose of waste in accordance with local authority bylaws.

6.3 Cleaning of Equipment: Clean with water.

7. Handling and storage

7.1 Handling:

Measures to prevent fire and explosion: No special measures required.

Avoid eye contact. Wear chemical type goggles or safety glasses. Wear PVC gloves and

protective clothing.

7.2 Storage:

Do not contaminate drinking water, food or feed by storage or disposal.

8. Exposure controls/personal protection

8.1 Ventilation: In processes were mists or vapours may be generated, proper ventilation must

be provided in accordance with good ventilation practices.

8.2 Personal protective equipment:

Eye protection: Safety glasses/ goggles

Hand protection: PVC gloves

Skin and body protection: Protective clothing, PVC apron and boots.

Respiratory protection: Approved respirator for organic vapours when vapour or mist may

be generated.

9. Physical and chemical properties

9.1 Form: liquid

9.2 Colour: Clear blue liquid

9.3 Odour: Slight almond

9.4 Boiling point (ºC) : 100

9.5 Flash point (ºC): Not flammable

9.6 Max. % volatile: 90

9.7 Density at 20ºC, g/ml: 0.995

9.8 Solubility in water: soluble

9.9 pH: 8.0

10. Stability and reactivity

10.1 Stability: Stable under normal operating conditions.

10.2 Materials to avoid: Avoid contact with all acids, reducing agents,

nitrogen oxides, amines, ammonia or other

nitrogen containing compounds

10.3 Hazardous decomposition products: Toxic vapors including chlorine and organochlorine

compounds

10.4 Dangerous reactions: None.

11. Toxicological information

11.1 Health Effects: Swallowed: Toxic if swallowed

Eye: Corrosive.

Skin: Corrosive.

Inhaled: Irritating if inhaled.

11.2 Acute oral toxicity: LD50 oral (rat) 2400 mg/kg

11.3 Skin irritation: rabbit: severe irritant – 80% active soln. 72 hours, not reversed

rat: severe irritant- 6-10% repeated exposures 2 weeks.

Rat: mild to moderate irritant- 3% repeated exposures for 2wks

Rat: non-irritant – 0.1% repeated exposures 2 weeks

11.4 Eye irritation: Rabbit: severe irritant – 80% active caused irritation that did not

clear by day 3, post-dose.

Rabbit: non-irritant – 5ppm repeated exposures 3 weeks.

11.5 Sensitisation: Guinea pig: not sensitising.

11.6 Reproductive toxicity: rat: not teratogenic.

Rat: 2 generation study –no neonatal/parental effects

at1000ppm, Observed at 2000 ppm.

12. Ecological Information

12.1 Persistence/degradability: Biodegradable in concentrations below 20 ppm.

12.2 Aquatic toxicity: LC50 Bluegill sunfish: 2.35 ppm 96 hrs (for closely related 80% product)

LC50 Rainbow trout: 7.8 ppm 96 hours (for closely related 80% product)

Avian toxicity: LC50 Bobwhite quail 2700 ppm 8 days (for closely related 80% product)

LC50 Mallard duck >4500 ppm 8 days (for closely related 80% product)

13. Disposal considerations

Dispose of waste in accordance with local authority bylaws.

Disposal of empty container: Triple rinse then send to drum recycling facility.

14. DOT Transport regulations

CONSUMER COMMODITY, ORM-D (US & possessions)

0.5gallon - 800003, 800033CA, W28800003

2 x 0.75 gallon - 800012

1 gallon – 800006, 800066CA, W28800006

15. Regulatory information

Labelling Caution - Keep out of reach of children.

16. Other information

This MSDS supersedes all previous issues. It summarises our best knowledge of the health and safety hazard information of the

product. All users should read this MSDS and consider the information in the context of how the product will be handled and

used in the workplace, including in conjunction with other products. Since the actual use of this product is beyond the control

of Wet and Forget Inc (USA), we make no warranty, expressed or implied, concerning the use of this product. It is the

responsibility of users to ascertain that the product is suitable for intended applications.

These "miracle roof cleaners" are nothing new. They have been around in some form or another for many years. If they worked, many of us cleaning roofs would have been out of business years ago. Many people wanting or needing roof cleaning can't afford to wait a year for the black streaks to disappear from their roof, if they ever completely do. The principle these work on is they claim to kill the Algae, Mold, and Mildew growing on a roof. Once the Algae is dead, the rain washes it off. This has not been our experiences with these roof cleaners. Not a month goes by that we don't get a call from someone who used these types of products that did not work as claimed. So, in a sense they are good for the roof cleaning business! Users of these products tell neighbors they are gonna clean their own roof. So, when it don't work, they call a roof cleaning company to properly clean it, vs looking like an Idiot to their neighbors.

I had a retired guy call me from up in Tennessee, wanting to clean his roof this way. I told him to simply take some Rock Salt and water, and spray the roof. It will do nearly the same thing. Actually, any plant killer will do the trick, as will good old bleach and water, if you have a long time to wait ? Many of our roof cleaning customers are trying to sell or paint their homes, or got a roof cleaning letter from their homeowners association. They want their roof cleaned now, not a year later.

The Roof Cleaning Business has never been better since these types of products came out. I hope more of them come out, complete with advertising campaigns. They raise awareness of the awful looks and filth of a dirty roof for all us cleaning roofs properly.

Does this customer realize that while it MAY help to slow down some of the mold growth it will do absolutely nothing to remove dirt, bugs and pollutents? I would rather get this customer on a regular schedual for Pressure Washing. She will be much happier in the end.

One of my customers called me a few week ago asking about wet and forget. I had never heard of it and could not really answer any of their questions. It seems Costco and Ace are selling it, after talking with the customer they told me they already had purchased a gallon that makes six gallons of diluted product. They wanted to know how much I would charge them to spray their screened pool enclosure with it. Since I didn't know what chemicals were in it I declined to price the job, I asked if they would be happy to pay some one to "clean their pool enclosure" and wait six months for the green and black algae and mold to go away. It seems like a hard sell to me!

I used this on a roof in Fort Myers Florida with unsatifactory results we did the back half of the house 3 months ago and there is still lots of mold on the roof, not to mention it was around 25.00 per gallon!

this is another product meant exclusively for homeowners. As a contractor you have no business using it. HO quality products are only strong enough that the HO has no way possible of getting hurt unless they drink it. Sell your service and expertise, and dont succumb to using a HO quality product.

These "miracle roof cleaners" are nothing new. They have been around in some form or another for many years. If they worked, many of us cleaning roofs would have been out of business years ago. Many people wanting or needing roof cleaning can't afford to wait a year for the black streaks to disappear from their roof, if they ever completely do. The principle these work on is they claim to kill the Algae, Mold, and Mildew growing on a roof. Once the Algae is dead, the rain washes it off. This has not been our experiences with these roof cleaners. Not a month goes by that we don't get a call from someone who used these types of products that did not work as claimed. So, in a sense they are good for the roof cleaning business! Users of these products tell neighbors they are gonna clean their own roof. So, when it don't work, they call a roof cleaning company to properly clean it, vs looking like an Idiot to their neighbors.

I had a retired guy call me from up in Tennessee, wanting to clean his roof this way. I told him to simply take some Rock Salt and water, and spray the roof. It will do nearly the same thing. Actually, any plant killer will do the trick, as will good old bleach and water, if you have a long time to wait ? Many of our roof cleaning customers are trying to sell or paint their homes, or got a roof cleaning letter from their homeowners association. They want their roof cleaned now, not a year later.

The Roof Cleaning Business has never been better since these types of products came out. I hope more of them come out, complete with advertising campaigns. They raise awareness of the awful looks and filth of a dirty roof for all us cleaning roofs properly.

You are so on point with this comment Chris , I love the way you look at things. It is absolutely good for business.

One of the owners of that company called me last year to wash his house, when I met with him ( Not knowing he was who he was) we walked around the house, I did my whole sales spill, then he says "have you ever heard about wet and forget" I said yes its Junk if you ask me, he then drops the bomb and tells me who he is, and I asked so are you actually wanting to clean your house? he said no, and I said &&*% *^& and left, what a ... wasting my time, insisting he needs a cleaning, only trying to sell me some crap to use for my business, arghh lol