Sign in to follow this  
Little Buddy

Sprayer Cart

Question

Hey guys,

I'm going to be building a pump cart (aka a deckster) soon and was wondering what kind of pump i should get or what you use. Going to be using it for chem application exclusively. I was looking at the pumptec setup but was wondering what kind of gpm and psi works the best.

Thanks, JL

post-5574-137772315238_thumb.jpg

post-5574-13777231524_thumb.jpg

34 answers to this question

I used the 2 GPM delavan and a spot sprayer. I put it on a hand truck but I am going to change it to just a bucket because you can't move the bucket of stain anyhow with the hand truck.[ATTACH=CONFIG]15284[/ATTACH]

Pat, I have a lid for the deckster with hose notch cutouts. I move that thing all over the yard if I need to.

The hoses are surrounded by o rings in the lid. It will spill a bit if it is top[ped off and moved. but usu. if it is full, I have already found the right location to start the spray and don't need to move it for a while.

but it is doable.

what hose would you recommend? 1/4 at 100'?

I use 3/8 PVC air hose, 100', cost $21 at Lowes on my Delevan 60 psi, 2.0 gpm setup. Not counting the pump, I have about $40 in mine. With the pump, just over $120 counting the cart.

I use 3/8 PVC air hose, 100', cost $21 at Lowes on my Delevan 60 psi, 2.0 gpm setup. Not counting the pump, I have about $40 in mine. With the pump, just over $120 counting the cart.

Hi Rich yea old timer!.. I use the 3/8 pvc on many a creation as well but do you like the combo of the 2gpm and 3/8 for staining as well as the chem application? Myself I tend to like the 3/8 for stain and garden size for chems. (if not DSing that is :) )

I also use a 15 gallon bleach container for the pick up tube to go into, faced away from the cart so that when I tilt it back to move it, nothing sloshes out. I use mine only for stripper and acid. I swap out the containers if I'm going back and forth.

I use this rig to lay down my secret receipt "sauce" on my large flatwork projects. I average 1 gallon per 1000 square foot of flatwork.

I don't do roofs, no call for it in Phoenix. The few that I have done I included with house washes, and downstreamed everything.

Jim, is this a roof/ wood combo unit?

or just roof?

or just wood? ( how do you regulate 3.6 gpm for the wood...... at the wand?)

The thing I would add to it is an iced tea cup holder and an ashtry.

It looks great though.

Very nice work.

Adrian, You mention roof/wood combo... I would say roofs or any 2 to 3 story work tends to demand the next step up in pump size if one doesn't want to be standing around all day trying to apply chems or do rinse procedures. The increased head pressure being up on roof or even on two story decks and pegola have made me a firm believer in either the mid sized gpm air diaphragm pumps or DSing to get the chems out. There are pro's and con's to almost every setup when trying to cover many bases at once. For instance imagine a tiny air Wilden sitting on a five gallon container with no batteries to recharge. Advantages are that you use no cart and battery but rather you carry the fiver to where you need it with a roll of garden hose on your shoulder and wand in hand or ya can just opt to leave it all on board by using longer hose... Con of course is that ya have to have a compressor on board and either hook up to home power or suitable truck inverter. If ya ask me I rather have a compressor than a battery and cart. Now imagine this expansion idea..add my DIY HVLP sprayer (pepsi canister/aerosol sprayer) to a hurricane truck brush setup or shane/phelps wand setup and we find ourself woodies with unmatched power and flexability to do raised decking or roofs or hood foaming or deco concrete staining, or whatever by either spray or brush method. Been planning to do it and have everything needed already sitting around here. I just have to tweak my canister setup a tad, rid myself of the hvlp gun and second airline which is totally unneeded in this field of staining wood, and commit to having the compressor in bed of truck all the time. :)

I have seen the canister setup before, but can't remember which site and it's been a while..

Do you have pics of the canister setup?