Sign in to follow this  
John Doherty

Concrete Basketball Court Stain Failure

Question

Customer had a painter who used H&C Acrylic concrete stain on a kids basketball court in her backyard. It failed immediately, to the point the painter wouldn't even collect on the job.

It looks like a typical failure 'flaking off' probably due to poor prep.

I'm going to hot water wash the surface to remove as much of the old stain as possible (we're going to be there doing her roof), she is going to wait about 2 weeks for the last of the pollen to drop and then do an acid etch with muriatic.

Any suggestions for a good concrete stain for a kids basketball court (it's a blue color now)? Also any ideas on prep, are we going about it in the right way?

9 answers to this question

I hate concrete paints, and have never seen one that hasn't failed eventually. When customers ask about them, I tell them to steer clear.

We have never had H&C flake or chip - with the proper prep it penetrates into the concrete.

Celeste do you think a hot water wash/removal of as much of the of the failing stain as possible followed by an acid wash will be sufficient prep? Or will it just fail if all the prior stain isn't removed?

Edited by John Doherty

I can't see a new coating working properly unless all is removed - those pores close to the surface are filled already, which is not going to allow anything to stay there....unless you go back with the same H&C with PROPER prep. It can be maintained so obviously it can adhere to itself. If I read your post correctly - she doesn't have any money in this project at this point. Call the H&C folks (NOT the paint store!). They won't bite and they will be able to tell you exactly what their product requires :)

Celeste

The Stain Is only Going To be As Good as whats underneath It We have always used H&c For Stain And it has never failed to my knowledge Even with just Surface cleaning the area real good Ive Always heard That it does not hold up as well on a driveway do to tire heat and stuff like that but a basket ball court shouldnt suffer near as much as a Driveway I believe the only other option would be Epoxy But I dont think it has UV protection

Sorry I Didnt Think about it before i wrote my last post you could always clean it and remove what you can and top coat it with an oil base it should help to lock it down and cures a little harder than the water base