Sign in to follow this  
Scott Paul

Whose ready for a new contest?

Question

Jake Clark and I will be starting up a new contest at thewoodpros.com

Open to all stains not just Armstrong Clark

Winner who is voted best restoration project will get two Pails of Armstrong Clark

I was planning on running 3 contests this year with each ending on the 3 summer holidays.

Here is the question I have though. Will there be enough time for everyone to get some projects done by the first holiday, Memorial Day?

Feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

27 answers to this question

What is a good cheap clear sealant?

post-170-137772452819_thumb.jpg

Brian,

About $90 for a 5'er. Note the bottom of the bucket. Can be used for wood, concrete, brick, all exterior surfaces, hair conditioner for cats and dogs, roof shine, car varnish, fake snot for Halloween, etc. A real bargain.

Just wear ski masks or cleverly pour into RS or AC buckets before showing up at customers property.

Does this damn org garbage have to be in every thread?!?

Jake

Jake, the industry has reached a new low! These people sound like fools , act like fools and if you sound like one and act like one I guess your a fool ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19904[/ATTACH]

Brian,

About $90 for a 5'er. Note the bottom of the bucket. Can be used for wood, concrete, brick, all exterior surfaces, hair conditioner for cats and dogs, roof shine, car varnish, fake snot for Halloween, etc. A real bargain.

Just wear ski masks or cleverly pour into RS or AC buckets before showing up at customers property.

Thompson’s is the best for just about anything, especially that fancy ipee wood.

The more the better!

Now Thad, you know that's just not true.... LOL

Beth

Beth,

Thad has the right idea. No matter how professional woodies bemoan the use of Thompson's WaterSeal, proof is in the pudding. Two cases in point.

First, our two pups washed, groomed, and treated with a light coating of Thompson's. Look how their coats just shine. Our vet was appalled when they developed skin lesions, but they sure looked good.

Note that I had not treated the ipe' with Thompson's. It surely would have looked better. Those Ready Seal and Armstrong-Clark stains are overrated.

post-170-137772452828_thumb.jpg

Second, yours truly at the track a few weeks ago. Cold, nasty weather, running against track prepared Porche's and nazi BMW's. I can't drive a lick but the "poor man" Lotus just ate them up in the turns. I can only credit the Thompson's WaterSeal topcoat with putting those $100K+ cars to shame. Slather your tires with the stuff and they grip like a bulldog. If you delve deeply into the Formula 1 teams, they all swear by Thompson's. Its a miracle weapon not advertised. Please don't tell anyone.

post-170-137772452838_thumb.jpg

Frick, I look older than I feel.

My mechanic friend tells me that the car has to be stripped down to bare fiberglass and repainted, but no matter. You only get a few "hurrahs" at this age and they all count.

Time to book some more jobs.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19904[/ATTACH]

Brian,

Rick, I thought the AC/RS bucket was our little secret, I think professor foley does it also, but he heats it up on the stove before he rep ours it . It is a lot easier for him to heat it now that RS has gone to metal buckets

Mathew Johnson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Mathew Johnson

Does this damn org garbage have to be in every thread?!?

Jake

Jake, the industry has reached a new low! These people sound like fools , act like fools and if you sound like one and act like one I guess your a fool ?

I can certainly understand why vendors want peace.....It would be nice (and probably more effective) if they voiced their disgust at both sides (sites) of the mud slinging. Otherwise, it seems a bit disingenuous.

I can certainly understand why vendors want peace.....It would be nice (and probably more effective) if they voiced their disgust at both sides (sites) of the mud slinging. Otherwise, it seems a bit disingenuous.

I respectfully disagree. No manufacturer would sensibly and publicly take "sides" on internal organisation disagreements. Not if they care to do business. Most are smarter than contractors concerning their business.

... It is a lot easier for him to heat it now that RS has gone to metal buckets

Mathew Johnson

Matt,

Thanks for reminding me of this at the cusp of wood season. Due to distributor/retail outlets, RS has now gone to those stupid tin buckets. It may be time to retire...

I respectfully disagree. No manufacturer would sensibly and publicly take "sides" on internal organisation disagreements. Not if they care to do business. Most are smarter than contractors concerning their business.

I wasn't talking about "internal Org disagreements".....but I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll leave it at that.

I wasn't talking about "internal Org disagreements".....but I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll leave it at that.

Barry,

Fair enough. Your statement, "It would be nice (and probably more effective) if they voiced their disgust at both sides (sites) of the mud slinging. Otherwise, it seems a bit disingenuous." is up for grabs.

I will give a shout out to Jake Clark of Armstrong-Clark wood stains. He has the cohones to post discontent. But I do not consider other manufacturers disingenuous for not publicly posting.

Jake is THA MAN.

Thad,

Dead on. Jake is a great guy and a good friend. He does play golf too much and plays too well, lives in la la land, and puts linseed oil into his stains. Other than that, Jake is a near perfect, upstanding gentleman. And an honest, quality manufacturer of wood stains.

Barry,

Fair enough. Your statement, "It would be nice (and probably more effective) if they voiced their disgust at both sides (sites) of the mud slinging. Otherwise, it seems a bit disingenuous." is up for grabs.

I will give a shout out to Jake Clark of Armstrong-Clark wood stains. He has the cohones to post discontent. But I do not consider other manufacturers disingenuous for not publicly posting.

I'm guessing "org crap" doesn't mean all things Org related....That's up for grabs as well but I take it to be in reference to all the recent opposition discussion directed to one specific Org......drop that crap.

I never said or implied the vendors that are "not" speaking up were disingenuous....There are people here that cannot post directly on the other BBS and those that cannot post here. Is anyone over at the other site telling them to drop the crap?

For the record....I don't really do much wood anymore but from 09-11 all I used was AC stain and still refer people that call to his site.

I'm guessing "org crap" doesn't mean all things Org related....That's up for grabs as well but I take it to be in reference to all the recent opposition discussion directed to one specific Org......drop that crap.

I never said or implied the vendors that are "not" speaking up were disingenuous....There are people here that cannot post directly on the other BBS and those that cannot post here. Is anyone over at the other site telling them to drop the crap?

For the record....I don't really do much wood anymore but from 09-11 all I used was AC stain and still refer people that call to his site.

Unfortunately, the biggest cheerleader, and leader of them all, encourges it due to his unwillingness to let anyone that disagrees with him be successful.

Back to some wood talk...... who wants to do a giveaway since that is the topic of the thread??

Beth,

Thad has the right idea. No matter how professional woodies bemoan the use of Thompson's WaterSeal, proof is in the pudding. Two cases in point.

First, our two pups washed, groomed, and treated with a light coating of Thompson's. Look how their coats just shine. Our vet was appalled when they developed skin lesions, but they sure looked good.

Note that I had not treated the ipe' with Thompson's. It surely would have looked better. Those Ready Seal and Armstrong-Clark stains are overrated.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19905[/ATTACH]

Second, yours truly at the track a few weeks ago. Cold, nasty weather, running against track prepared Porche's and nazi BMW's. I can't drive a lick but the "poor man" Lotus just ate them up in the turns. I can only credit the Thompson's WaterSeal topcoat with putting those $100K+ cars to shame. Slather your tires with the stuff and they grip like a bulldog. If you delve deeply into the Formula 1 teams, they all swear by Thompson's. Its a miracle weapon not advertised. Please don't tell anyone.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19906[/ATTACH]

Frick, I look older than I feel.

My mechanic friend tells me that the car has to be stripped down to bare fiberglass and repainted, but no matter. You only get a few "hurrahs" at this age and they all count.

Time to book some more jobs.

How Old People Park Their Cars

Rick looks good now and when he is ready to retire perhaps he can follow this fine gentleman. See above. We are talking wood restoration that sings to all of the homeowners that visit TGS. Scott and I are here to promote a very special industry by posting wood restoration masterpieces that show what our industry is all about. Please join in the submissions to the contest.

Many thanks,

Jake