Sign in to follow this  
Chesapeake

weathered sealer for cedar roof

Question

Anyone ever treated a cedar roof with bleaching oil or a 50/50 blend of bleaching oil and weathering stain? The customer wants the roof cleaned, but wants to keep the weathered look. I would plan on washing with a percarb. and following with oxalic, but I know this is going to bring the roof to the "new cedar look". Any suggestions on a sealer that will give the weathered look? There are multiple buildings on the property, and the owner is not interested in one roof looking new and the others old.

4 answers to this question

Anyone ever treated a cedar roof with bleaching oil or a 50/50 blend of bleaching oil and weathering stain? The customer wants the roof cleaned, but wants to keep the weathered look. I would plan on washing with a percarb. and following with oxalic, but I know this is going to bring the roof to the "new cedar look". Any suggestions on a sealer that will give the weathered look? There are multiple buildings on the property, and the owner is not interested in one roof looking new and the others old.

Armstrong Clark makes a gray sealer. So does Cabot and Sikkens. Armstrong Clark will moisturize the shingle, the other two will not as much, due to the nature of the oil formulations. Clean look will not remain gray. They can either let it re-weather, or seal it with a tinted gray product.

Beth