Sign in to follow this  
Rick2

F-250

Question

Looks like I'm going to buy a new truck and the F-250 looks pretty nice. I found a left over XLT 4X4 2009 extended cab with all the toys (power everything, sat radio, etc,etc) and 8 foot bed for 30K. I didn't want all the toys but I guess they are trying to move this one. A "basic" version is only 2K less. Being someone that's never owened a Ford truck I thought I'd ask for opinions here. Anyone???

48 answers to this question

That's what I'm driving now, a 2500 4X4 but its getting there in age (11 years old) and starting to ask for repairs now and then. A few weeks ago the starter quit right after handing a bid to wash an apartment building. Had to have it towed. Felt like an idiot. Also, brake lines broke (all 4 rusted through), transmission line broke, horn rusted off and fell in the street somewhere, exhaust manifold bolts snapped off engine block (7 bolts, no kidding) fuel pressure regulator went twice, power steering pump bracken broke, all 4 roters and 2 calipers went (at 30K miles) antifreeze keeps vanishing... have to top it off every week or so, tow/haul switch never worked, weird noise from the front axle as if the axle was engaged (I don't know what the noise is) and a unknown problem that causes the enging to really start bucking at highway speeds. It's not a fuel filter. These are the things off the top of my head. I'm sure there's much more. Did I mention the truck only has 50K miles on it? The tires are nice but that's because I had to replace them after some as#&*@e stuck a knife in them after he stole my Jetskis. Not all my memories will be good ones of this truck.

post-2213-13777231903_thumb.jpg

post-2213-137772319053_thumb.jpg

That is a screaming deal. Is it the diesel, or the v-10? They both have advantages, but if it is diesel, you could probably turn it for more than that.

For what it is worth, I am a Ford guy, and have always been a Ford guy, especially for trucks. I have had very few problems with my Fords, though I do have to admit, my transmission in my 06 came apart today. I think it is the input shaft, but will find out for sure on Monday. 135,000 miles towing a trailer 75% of the time, in city traffic does not make for an easy transmission life, I think.

It's the V8 gas 5.4 Seems to have plenty of power for me, I don't need that big of a motor. The one I have now is a 6.0 and it has a lot of power too. Dealer said 7000 for a trade in with the plow. I don't know, I guess that's alright. Got to buy a new plow before winter.

you should take care of it better...i have a 95 and it looks brand new and runs like a champ

I can't think of how I abused it unless you think of normal driving as abuse.

I learned to drive on a 56 Ford and have not looked back. I have never had front end issues on the Ford but the GMC (the one and only government made truck I have owned) had all sorts of issues and had less than 100k. I have a 97 Ford now with 130k on it and it just keeps going. I think I have a similar size engine.

He was probably talknig about me. My trucks are very well taken care of, sometimes metal fatigue gets to something. Besides, when I have accounts that are two hours and 50 miles away, you can be certain that there is a lot of stop and go to get there.

My 2005 F-350 just broke down again for the third time in a month. Out of nowhere I am getting serious problems with the 6.0 liter Turbo Diesel engine. This is not good. My two other fords are 7.3 liter diesels and the engines are phenominal. Never any problem yet with them and one truck is a 2001 F-250 with around 140,000 miles and the other is an 89 Ford F-350 Bucket truck with around 125,000 miles.

so not being bias now, i know several people who have switched from ford due to poor engines. I dont know which one maybe the 7.3 powerstroke was really bad or something and they will never go back. I just like the looks of chevy better as well as the interior, but that really has nothing to do with performance...

My 2005 F-350 just broke down again for the third time in a month. Out of nowhere I am getting serious problems with the 6.0 liter Turbo Diesel engine. This is not good. My two other fords are 7.3 liter diesels and the engines are phenominal. Never any problem yet with them and one truck is a 2001 F-250 with around 140,000 miles and the other is an 89 Ford F-350 Bucket truck with around 125,000 miles.

My next door neighbor has a newer f-450 dump with a 6.0 turbo diesel. That has given him several problems too. Strange, his mpg fully loaded isn't that much better than my friend's 18 wheeler dumper hauling rock. I will never understand that.

dodge diesel. On my 1999, we have over 400+HP with Jake brake. Tows 100% of the time with utility box bed. Trailer is over 9500 lbs. NO PROBLEMS. approaching 80k.

My 1998 Dodge diesel, 90k over 300+hp. No problems

Our newer white Dodge, 70k no problems

dodge diesel. On my 1999, we have over 400+HP with Jake brake. Tows 100% of the time with utility box bed. Trailer is over 9500 lbs. NO PROBLEMS. approaching 80k.

Dodge Diesel. On my 1999, we have over 400+HP with Jake Brake. This unit tows 100% of the time with a utility box bed. Trailer is over 9500 lbs. NO PROBLEMS. We are approaching 80k.

We have two other Fords, but have had problems with them.

Sorry for the copy and past. Beth instructed me to cut and past if I need to edit it.

Ford gassers are fine........ its the newer diesels that are causing problems especially the 6.0. You can get them cheap but I wouldn't buy one as I've heard to many problems with them. The 7.3's a probably one of the best engines out there still to date. I'm a FORD guy too but I would'nt be totally against a Chevy Duramax HD.

Bud its abuse when you dont maintain a machine!! Not to be mean. I mechanic as well and all that stuff that you mentioned is neglect and normal wear and tear.Starters go bad and easy to change, your rotors first will squeek from the squeeker on the pads before you mess up the rotor,the noise from the front end sounds like there in no rear end fluid in it so you have bad seals which is leaking the fluid and making the bearing wine,and the fluid loss in the cooling system could be bad hoses,water pump,heater coil,or radiator if you see the drips if not look at the oil and see if it is milky thats bad head gaskets or if steam is coming out of the exhaust bad head gaskets and the bucking at high way speeds can mean you are in need of a tune up,plugs wires ect. and could be worse.Now all those brackets breaking off and stuff like that just dont make any sence really on a 50,000 mile truck. You might want to have cameras watching your stuff. No brand truck can take the neglec this one has had.

Advice when you first notice a problem with any machine fix it!!

Marko

No the 7.3 is the good one the 6.0 is the one that sucks!! Our EMS returned all there new 6.0 Fords and traded for the Duramax.

Marko

Those Cummins are the best Diesels in the market i believe combine that with a straight drive you got a work horse.Or work Goat that is,lol.

Marko

F250 is a good truck ti will pull anything you put behind it I think.Mine was a 06 crewcab deisel 3 weeks old it was in the shop.The kicker with them is there arent many mechanics at the dealerships to deal with the deisels and they told me 3 weeks before he could look at it.

I got rid of it when I stopped hauling big trailers around.The big question is what do you pull and how often.My new Chevy will tow likw 10.5k with the towing pack.The 3/4 tons coe with alot of costs everything costs more tires ,oil(mine held like 5 gals of oil and 2 filters,$125 bucks at a quick lube)etc.Do you need a big truck or do you jsut want to be the guy with the biggest toy.

Me i have a Chevy 2500hd 2002 model with over 150,000 on it and had it since 30,000 towed most of its life with me has the 8.1 496 big block and i can tell you 1 thing i know this truck will get me there and back.My other truck i just bought is a 1995 chevy 2500 5.0 305 with a utility bed and top with 145,000 on it and she is loaded, still servicing her over but it is trust worthy too,but i know one thing finding me a old small block 400 for me to build and putting that in it gotta have power,lol.A little 305 just dont sound right ya i can bore it 30 over and bring it to a 350 but its still a 305.Had glass packs put on it now needs a bigger motor.

Marko

Hey Chevy, Ford,Dodge,and Sterling are all good trucks and all of them has there issues its about eather bipassing that issue or avoid being in the middle of it.

Marko

John, almost bought a 2005 Ford Box a month ago 6.0. . Did some searching and talked to a diesel expert. Was told to stay away! Fords built with the 6.0 between 2003 and 2005 have been a nightmare for people and Ford. The was not a "better idea". Very easy to find out on the internet. If you stay ahead on the preventative maintenance issue with that engine you may be ok.

John, almost bought a 2005 Ford Box a month ago 6.0. . Did some searching and talked to a diesel expert. Was told to stay away! Fords built with the 6.0 between 2003 and 2005 have been a nightmare for people and Ford. The was not a "better idea". Very easy to find out on the internet. If you stay ahead on the preventative maintenance issue with that engine you may be ok.

I broke down again yesterday with my 6.0 liter ford and held up traffic.. this is the third time in about a month. The Ford Diesel mechanic said that these 6.0 ford diesels suck...and thats a Quote. Stay away from these engines any year they were produced. Nothing but bad news all the way around with them. For the ones who havent had problems there lucky but most likely problems for them are looming right around the corner this is how bad that engine is.