Sign in to follow this  
Jim Gamble

I am talking a straight shot from 2001 to 2010. Tell us how you started professional

How many Years have you been Pressure washing FULL TIME  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How many Years have you been Pressure washing FULL TIME

• 20+ Years of Continuous Service
    • 18 Years of Continuous Service
    • 14 Years of Continuous Service
    • 12 Years of Continuous Service
    • 9 Years of Continuous Service
    • 6 Years of Continuous Service
    • Less Than 6 Years of Continuous Service

How many professional pressure washers out there, on these boards, have at least 9+ years of continuous pressure washing service. That is, professional companies that serve residential or commercial pressure washing FULL TIME out in the field.

Part timers, those who closed to try something else, then came back, I am sorry, but those stories is not for this thread. This is for those few who stuck it out, went out there to make it work full time. Struggled through thick and thin. Made those hard tuff choices. Made the right marketing choices to succeed in this recession. Who are you? Tell us your story.

Here's ours....

We are celebrating our 21st year full time in the field of Parking Garage Cleaning. We started in 1989 with 15k and broke even the first year and was living in a 525sq ft apartment. Back then, we got just under 2 cents a sq ft with no reclamation. Now we are at .24 cents with full reclamation and are booked 80% for the next several years.

Note: To the guys who call for help in the Parking Garage Cleaning field, please call between 11am - 1pm or after 10 pm. Pacific Time 510-612-0437...Thanks

Crystal Cleaning Company LLC

www.GarageCleaning.Net

Professional Parking Garage Cleaning Service

Great post Jim. Jim is a role model for the industry, and I have learned more from this man alone that a dozen others. Those that take Jim up on his free offer for advice and leadership will agree. The naysayers and lowballers will never grasp the concepts of how a truly professional pressure washing company can enjoy 80% + booked schedules with a profit margin any business owner can appreciate.

Quality sells, and justifies the prices I charge, which is exactly what has made Jim's business so successful and makes him an industry leader.

I just landed 12 new shopping centers. Meeting with the owner today who is flying in from California. 1 center, just over 50,000 square foot of flatwork and about a dozen dumpster pads, will go 4 times a year, with 3 heavy traffic areas being done once every 30 days (approximately 10,000 square foot). $0.12 a square foot, plus $85.00 for each dumpster pad area.

His current "contractor" is charging him 1/2 that, but does crap work, if he's even cleaning them at all. I did a demonstration in front of one of the stores (a bakery). The concrete was black, his current "contractor" claimed he used everything, including acid and couldn't get the concrete restored. I spent less than a half hour and the concrete looks like brand new.

Great post Jim. Jim is a role model for the industry, and I have learned more from this man alone that a dozen others. Those that take Jim up on his free offer for advice and leadership will agree. The naysayers and lowballers will never grasp the concepts of how a truly professional pressure washing company can enjoy 80% + booked schedules with a profit margin any business owner can appreciate.

Quality sells, and justifies the prices I charge, which is exactly what has made Jim's business so successful and makes him an industry leader.

I just landed 12 new shopping centers. Meeting with the owner today who is flying in from California. 1 center, just over 50,000 square foot of flatwork and about a dozen dumpster pads, will go 4 times a year, with 3 heavy traffic areas being done once every 30 days (approximately 10,000 square foot). $0.12 a square foot, plus $85.00 for each dumpster pad area.

His current "contractor" is charging him 1/2 that, but does crap work, if he's even cleaning them at all. I did a demonstration in front of one of the stores (a bakery). The concrete was black, his current "contractor" claimed he used everything, including acid and couldn't get the concrete restored. I spent less than a half hour and the concrete looks like brand new.

Thanks Jim.

Sorry I was not able to get down there this week. Glad to hear you are doing well.

Jim Gamble

www.GarageCleaning.net

Jim, piece of advice.....when you start a poll make sure the ranges you allow for users to vote cover all the possible time gaps. Most likely you will find that with your poll constructed the way it is, many folks will not vote since there is no category for them to vote in.

Beth

Jim, piece of advice.....when you start a poll make sure the ranges you allow for users to vote cover all the possible time gaps. Most likely you will find that with your poll constructed the way it is, many folks will not vote since there is no category for them to vote in.

Beth

Good Point.

Beth

I thought there would be more people with multiple years of continuous full time experience. If I knew that was not the case, I would of changed the post to include others. My mistake.

I thought there would be more people with multiple years of continuous full time experience. If I knew that was not the case, I would of changed the post to include others. My mistake.

Thats why I only went to 2001. I figured those that are new to our industry would qualify in this time frame from the recent 9 years. Those who are old timers such as Ron, would also be included because they also was full time in those recent years as well.

This poll is also to show respect and to honor for those companies who stuck it out and made the right choices during the recession.

I think everyone would agree, these companies should be recognized.

I have done pressure washing since May 1984 window cleaning since 1982.

I have owned and operated many businesses over the last 25 years.

Have I pressure washed fulltime for over 25 years? YES

Many here have partime Jobs and some just wash seasonal.

I'm wondering why we used the word Continuous??????

I have been continuously washing stuff since I was 8...I also did alot of other things.

I used to be ramped up about people working at this partime. I no longer have the same opionion, I also thought time in the industry meant something. ( it Doesnt)

I see New guys Like Steven, Matt, Kory , Dj and others that are running circles around 20 years vets. Men who started with nothing now employing people???????

Dont get me wrong I still think beiing fulltime would be the only way to go.

Jim I think didnt use the word fulltime because he has another trade. Jim Told me a story about him doing something else when I first met him.

Scott Stone was a Milk man way back when. Russ sold Cars, Beth work for a software co, Celeste for a law office, Tony a PI, the moral of this story is that it really doesnt matter what you did 5 years ago of 25 years ago.

Johnny T is a partimer that makes more money than most guys. I guess what matter is that your happy doing what you do.

Good luck to all the guys, hope everyone can retire quick.

Edited by Ron Musgraves

I have done pressure washing since May 1984 window cleaning since 1982.

I have owned and operated many businesses over the last 25 years.

Have I pressure washed fulltime for over 25 years? YES

Many here have partime Jobs and some just wash seasonal.

I'm wondering why we used the word Continuous??????

I have been continuously washing stuff since I was 8...I also did alot of other things.

I used to be ramped up about people working at this partime. I no longer have the same opionion, I also thought time in the industry meant something. ( it Doesnt)

I see New guys Like Steven, Matt, Kory , Dj and others that are running circles around 20 years vets. Men who started with nothing now employing people???????

Dont get me wrong I still think beiing fulltime would be the only way to go.

Jim I think didnt use the word fulltime because he has another trade. Jim Told me a story about him doing something else when I first met him.

Scott Stone was a Milk man way back when. Russ sold Cars, Beth work for a software co, Celeste for a law office, Tony a PI, the moral of this story is that it really doesnt matter what you did 5 years ago of 25 years ago.

Johnny T is a partimer that makes more money than most guys. I guess what matter is that your happy doing what you do.

Good luck to all the guys, hope everyone can retire quick.

Reasonable ...Rational ......Respectful..... a great Reply to the thread

I can't select a poll option because you didn't have a choice for the number of years we have been in business. Oh well, no big deal.

Beth

Beth, I have from under 6 years to 20+ years.

So I am confused.

Jim, you give hard line years. So, if someone has worked 15 years, there is not a delineation for it. It would have been a better poll if it said more than 12 years, more than 14 years, etc.

Now my response, I have never hid the fact that I started part time. Even working part time, I made more than my regular job, on a yearly basis, and it was a prime source of income. Imagine, working part time washing trucks, working a regular job as a manager with 160 direct reports, and I was making more money on Saturday, since I do not typically wash during the day on Sunday, than I did all week. I started out washing part time, because I did not have a safety net, of being able to call family to support me if I was in a financial bind, and my choice was to do what I could so my wife could stay home with the kids. She gave up a career at what was then USWest in the marketing department. She was only responsible for a $70 million budget, but we decided our family was more important. One of the best decisions I have ever participated in.

That is probably similar to what you did when you were still working as a Mortgage broker, where you had the regular gig, and then washed on the side. Nearly all of us that have what many would consider successful businesses have been in the same situation. But, for the life of me, I do not understand how you can adopt a holier than thou attitude about how long you have been in business full time, when you used to be a mortgage broker, at the same time. Seems something less than forthcoming to me.

Beth, I have from under 6 years to 20+ years.

So I am confused.

I'll say it AGAIN. There is not a choice for the number of years for us.

ELEVEN YEARS. ....and proud of it!

I'm not checking off 9, and I don't qualify for 12. Your poll is not fair to ALL of us.

Beth

Edited by Beth n Rod

Jim, this is why you have so many problems on the boards.

From this perspective the poll appears to be an attempt to cast doubt on the abilities and validity of some of the people you have had problems with in the past.

Is it me Jim? Are you pointing out the fact that I owned a dry cleaners, a documentation business, a car lot and a computer store before and maybe that means I don't have any business sense in this field?

Or is it Scott? Do you want the date he first cleaned a garage so you can publish it to make him look like he has less of an ability to complete job than you do?

Or maybe it's Russ. Maybe you want him to account for the missing years in his business AGAIN that he's already accounted for. How many times does he have to account for it before it is sufficient for you?

Don't play innocent this time Jim. The mere fact that you made it a public poll so that everyone who answers the poll is listed as a permanent record bears witness to the intentions behind the poll.

Time and experience are things you bring up to people on the phone to try to bring down anyone you've had problems with. How do I know? Because I have been on the other end of the phone conversation PERSONALLY.

It's time to quit playing one-up games and either get with the program and offer information that your experience has taught you and quit spending your time thinking of ways to GET BACK at people who you think have wronged you. You won't listen on the phone. Will you listen on the open board? Please don't insult my intelligence by pleading innocent. You may fool plenty of guys who don't know you outside a phone conversation, but I'm not fooled.

Have you been wronged in the past. I would say yes. But your actions after that almost justify what happened to you in the first place.

It's time to start over. You can do that be committing to meet these guys face to fact this year and quit talking about how much money you have and use it to go to roundtables and meet guys.

If there is anyone else who has talked to Jim on the phone and heard him make remarks about how little experience (he thinks) Scott has, or about the missing years of Russ that Russ didn't care to disclose when he joined the boards around 2005? Maybe it was just me. Maybe I've just been the butt of the joke.

I didn't vote for the simple reason I could tell from the get go there was more to this than there appeared to be.It looks as though Tony and I were thinking the same thing.

There is something wrong when 1 man feels the need to constantly try and degrade or 1 up others.The ego tripping,napoleonic,meglomaniac BS is getting old.

Edited by squirtgun

Jim, this is why you have so many problems on the boards.

From this perspective the poll appears to be an attempt to cast doubt on the abilities and validity of some of the people you have had problems with in the past.

Is it me Jim? Are you pointing out the fact that I owned a dry cleaners, a documentation business, a car lot and a computer store before and maybe that means I don't have any business sense in this field?

Or is it Scott? Do you want the date he first cleaned a garage so you can publish it to make him look like he has less of an ability to complete job than you do?

Or maybe it's Russ. Maybe you want him to account for the missing years in his business AGAIN that he's already accounted for. How many times does he have to account for it before it is sufficient for you?

Don't play innocent this time Jim. The mere fact that you made it a public poll so that everyone who answers the poll is listed as a permanent record bears witness to the intentions behind the poll.

Time and experience are things you bring up to people on the phone to try to bring down anyone you've had problems with. How do I know? Because I have been on the other end of the phone conversation PERSONALLY.

It's time to quit playing one-up games and either get with the program and offer information that your experience has taught you and quit spending your time thinking of ways to GET BACK at people who you think have wronged you. You won't listen on the phone. Will you listen on the open board? Please don't insult my intelligence by pleading innocent. You may fool plenty of guys who don't know you outside a phone conversation, but I'm not fooled.

Have you been wronged in the past. I would say yes. But your actions after that almost justify what happened to you in the first place.

It's time to start over. You can do that be committing to meet these guys face to fact this year and quit talking about how much money you have and use it to go to roundtables and meet guys.

It was a simple poll. I thought it would be good to see who was in the Pressure Washing field from 2001 to 2010 working continuously. Once again the same few have read into something that is not there. If I wanted to pick on Scott, I would of made the poll from 1994 ish to present. If I wanted to pick on Russ, I would of made the poll from 2004 to present. Actually I was going to post up to the last fifteen years. But I did not want to exclude so many good people. It was a simple poll. Read into it whatever you feel, but it was just a general poll to see who was working contiguously from those years. I just did not think that making the poll every 4 years or so was such a big deal. We are going on 22 years, but I only made it to 20. I will take the sensitivity here under advisement and try to do better.

I think those who did work during that time should be recognized and congratulated for their hard work. If you worked longer than that, they should be noted as well. But these times was the hardest for most. For Example:Your bus is a few years old. You are most likely investing in new equipment by then,maybe buying a home, having a family thinking you've made it and pow a full recession. Your accounts going bankrupt year after year, but you still have a business today and paying your bills the best way you can.

Frankly, this sounds to me, as those who do not meet this poll statements, is having the most issues. Life is to short. No one is saying if you only worked 5 years or even 1 year that you have no experience or smarts. I respect you Tony. Shoot, I do not even know how long you have been in the pressure washing field. I think you told me but I forgot.

Everybody relax. There is no attack here. No insults. Just wanting to recognize who are the ones that have started in 2001. I actually am curious who started in 1992 or earlier. About the time when I had to buy our filtration unit to meet Cal EPA requirements for discharge in the Parking Garage Cleaning Field. I would love to swap stories of that period in the pressure washing field.

If these guys/ gals whom I have seen on these old past threads are still around on the boards, where are they now? If they are not retired or in another industry, then "What field are they in now", This was going to be my next question.

Just Breathe.

Jim, are you going to deny that you asked me to check into Russ's old posts on *** to see if he claimed to have joined in 2001, thus claiming to be a member of *** when we all know it would have been impossible for him to be a member. Are you going to deny that when I informed you that Russ didn't even become a member till 2004 or 2005 that you said you were going to check his posts to see how many years he claimed to be in business? I can keep going. Do you want all the people who think you are picked on and can do no wrong to actually know to what extent you will go to try to discredit anyone you have a problem with? Do I dare Jim? Or are you ready to put this all behind you and start from scratch?

What about Scott? How many times have you told me on the phone that Scott claims to have a lot of years cleaning garages but you know for a fact he has X number of years and he's lying?

That was a good try Jim. It's time to shut down the problems you've had with Scott and Russ and worry about Jim.

You've got a lot to offer the industry. Start doing it by putting the money you've made to work helping others. If you only work 100 days a year or whatever you say, why aren't you all over the country meeting with guys and encouraging them?

You can turn this around right now Jim. But denying it is just digging a deeper hole for yourself. Denying only works for a short time. Just ask the former ***** ED.

Good luck Jim. I hope you take this to heart.

Sorry Jim, too many people had the same thought about you having an agenda posting that poll. I still stand by that you had another job, as a mortgage broker, while you were still pressure washing. That means that you do not qualify to put that you have 21 years of experience, given your parameters.

In reality, I think that you are so concerned with years in business, that you discount actual time behind a wand or surface cleaner. I could go on, but I would not want to appear as though I was attacking you unnecessarily.

I'll say it AGAIN. There is not a choice for the number of years for us.

ELEVEN YEARS. ....and proud of it!

I'm not checking off 9, and I don't qualify for 12. Your poll is not fair to ALL of us.

Beth

Just Check off 20 Beth, you have been to Cali. Get some plastic surgery, no one is Cali is real, they are all trying to be someone else. (FAKES)

Just kidding guys from Cali's its just guys close to Sanfran....

Just Check off 20 Beth, you have been to Cali. Get some plastic surgery, no one is Cali is real, they are all trying to be someone else. (FAKES)

Just kidding guys from Cali's its just guys close to Sanfran....

If you're trying to say that Jim really works for a landscaping company I think that is wrong and uncalled for.