Sign in to follow this  
cwarrior

Telescoping wands

Question

Looking for a new telescoping wand. I currently have one with the twist locks. On a job the other day, and the piece of crap wand I was using kept collapsing/closing every time the trigger was pressed. Also, the nozzle kept turning. I was frustrated as hell and ready to beat the crap out of the wand. Any recommendations for a telescoping wand or other methods for accessing high areas? I did use a long wand, but found it to be flimsy when attached to my gun. Any advice?

Thanks,

Mark

21 answers to this question

The first time I used an XJet I went home and used a hacksaw on my telescoping wand to make sure it fit in the can for next Tuesday's trash pickup.

XJet would be my advice.

All I need is a recommendation for a telescoping wand. I have been in the biz since 1999. Don't mean to be a smart ass, but I know what the hell I am doing. The telescoping wand enables me to downstream chemicals much higher, and it helps on windy days. Originally I x-jetted, but now I downstream. Thanks,

Mark

We use Coress Powerwands. Wh have 2 - 24 foot wands, a 32 foot wand and a 48 foor Coress wand that we use with a pitch witch with for steep pitched roof cleaning. They are great pieces of equipment.

We made some changes to the pitch witch to make it work more effectively and easier to control on the roof. We removed the tips and replaced them with quick connects to insert tips into. We are able to adapt to low pressure for either our 9 GPM or our 5.6 GPM machines. We also removed the quick connect on the pitch witch and screwed it right onto our corress attachment.

Another big change is that we ordered and use a special lightwieght thermoplastic high pressure wand that makes the wand even lighter and easier to control.

I hope this helps. Give me a call if you have any further questions - cell 607 435 5539

They work great!

Matt Johnson

Pressure Washing Services, Inc

Edited by Mathew Johnson

+1 Matt.

Folks can laugh at our extension poles (also Coress) but we have found it an invaluable tool. Thanks to Matt, we have altered it for staining as well. It's no back breaker - I have pics of Celeste somewhere using it and she's not a big woman.

Well woth the investment for us (we've bought 3)

Roger

I too have a Coress 48' that I have used for an occasional roof rinse. I now generally only use 24' of it with quick connects on the end. I also use a low-pressure (less than 1000 psi.) plastic hose from the gun to tip. Since the Coress is made with aircraft-grade aluminum, it's very light. Using the plastic hose keeps it reasonable. I also have a normal 1/4" 3000 psi rubber hose just in case, but the weight penalty makes it very hard to lift.

I'm not sure what you generally wash, but I can only recall a handful of times in the last 7 years that I have needed the long wand to wash residential siding. (I have another 24' form Northern, dark blue with click-in-place adjustments that I've never used.) For hard to reach areas, I have several length aluminum wands and at least 6 downsrtreaming tips. (Tip: the larger the "bore" of the tip, the less drift when washing peaks.)

What size hose runs through the coress wand? Need to make sure it will draw chemicals. Thanks for the tip on using a nozzle with a larger bore to reduce drift. Will this help on windy days? And with a larger bore, will it still shoot as far?

Thanks,

Mark

The first time I used an XJet I went home and used a hacksaw on my telescoping wand to make sure it fit in the can for next Tuesday's trash pickup.

XJet would be my advice.

I have 2 of those wands somewhere Rick! There garbage! Xjet all the way!!

I remember 1) My first kiss (Jean Soule) when I was a newspaper boy. 2) The day my son was born (Patrick R. Morrow), and 3) The first time I used an X-Jet.

Yup,the wand would come in handy once in a while for a church steeple or really high place too down stream yup :)

Oh that's old school, check it out....................https://www.facebook.com/The-Original-Shooter-Tip-1481593435427740/?ref=hl

Edited by Guy B

If You are looking to purchase a telespcoping wand you may want to look at Hydrotek. They have a unit that is very light construction and very sturdy to use. Hydrotek is a bit more expensive but you get what pay for It is a very knew product. As you know Hydrotek makes very high quality products.

Oh that's old school, check it out....................https://www.facebook.com/The-Original-Shooter-Tip-1481593435427740/?ref=hl

$30 each man thats alot of cash,,I drilled out my red zero tip and it does about the same pattern.

The machine in the video must be at least a 5 GPM,dont think mine will shoot that high..lol..well on the 18ft wand it would,,but that thing is a real pain to work with,,i only use it for really stubborn spots here and there.

$30 each man thats alot of cash,,I drilled out my red zero tip and it does about the same pattern.

The machine in the video must be at least a 5 GPM,dont think mine will shoot that high..lol..well on the 18ft wand it would,,but that thing is a real pain to work with,,i only use it for really stubborn spots here and there.

Hey Bro, so is $500 + for a lift......No worries 1000+ sold no complaints......saved me and a bunch of other Contractors mucho bucks.

There's a big difference between drilling out a red tip and using a "shooter" tip. Its like going to a shooting range with a handgun and a rifle to do some long distance target practice. The barrel of the rifle makes a world of difference in target shooting for long distance as does the barrel of a shooter tip.

$30 for a pinpoint accurate shooter tip that give you excellent distance as well is money in the bank every time in the powerwashing business. Its also great for safety reasons because it keeps you off ladders and saves your back because you'll use your extension wand much less often so it's a "win win" in my book!

Nice! I always enjoyed Powerwashing from a lift but they're never cheap to use & if we can find a way to clean with out one we'll explore those options first. We have used our extension wands in the past with a shooter tip on it when the height was only maybe 60' or so up there.

There's a big difference between drilling out a red tip and using a "shooter" tip. Its like going to a shooting range with a handgun and a rifle to do some long distance target practice. The barrel of the rifle makes a world of difference in target shooting for long distance as does the barrel of a shooter tip.

$30 for a pinpoint accurate shooter tip that give you excellent distance as well is money in the bank every time in the powerwashing business. Its also great for safety reasons because it keeps you off ladders and saves your back because you'll use your extension wand much less often so it's a "win win" in my book!

I will have to buy one an try it,,I did see the tip is quite long compared,,thanks for the tip,,no pun :)

Although we needed to rent a lift for this job ($2000.00 a day) just think if we could've done this job with just a shooter tip.......check this out..... https://www.facebook.com/1481593435427740/videos/1629547223965693/

Thats an awesome job Guy,

Im happy just on my small little one two story home owner jobs for now..I will leave the big stuff for you big dawgs!!

I have an extension wand in my shop you guys can have it. Never used a Coress so I cant offer my opinion on them. But i own 5 xjets and have purchased 10 over the years.

They are an invaluable tool for our industry and anyone who uses them would understand how well they work and how much time they save you as an operator.