Sign in to follow this  
JOgden

Oil stain on paved driveway

There's an oil stain on our driveway and I used some heavy degreaser to remove it, it worked a little bit however where the oil is the pavement is semi-squishy. Should I put tar sealant over it?

.....regardless you need to neutralize that degreaser. You can use something like vinegar or lemon juice to do it. (acidic) Pour it on. Let it sit. Rinse with a garden hose.

If the driveway is asphalt, you may need it patched. It might also be a good idea once you complete the repairs to seal coat the driveway with an asphalt sealer.

For future note, most of us won't touch an asphalt driveway because they are very soft and so full of petroleum products. They are easily damaged. Degreasers are designed to break down petroleum types of things, greases oils and the like.

I hope this helps. Good luck, and let us all know if you have questions.

Beth

Yep, it's asphalt. So I may have made it soft then with the degreaser? I will put some lemon juice on it tonight. However I did spray it down with water last night.

Is sealing a driveway something that is relatively cheap?

You would need to patch the one area, and it is a good idea to seal the entire driveway every so often, and this is an opportune time since you are doing patch work. Can you snap a pic please? Pics help.

Beth

I put vinegar on the spot first and washed it out with water and then put lemon juice down and washed it off.

The spot is hard but lightly squishy, some little rocks can be picked out. I've attached 2 photos.

Should I patch it? I found a 50LB bag of asphalt at Lowes.post-301-137772320277_thumb.jpg

post-301-137772320167_thumb.jpg