Sign in to follow this  
Tonyg

My acrylic strip for the year

Question

I think I can safely say this will be my token acrylic strip for the year. One coat Deckscapes oil semi-trans and the two coats Deckscapes solid acrylic. Definitely my hardest stripping of a deck yet. Learned a few lessons on this one and I really enjoyed the outcome but would like some easier ones in before the year is out.

Deck sealed with AC Rustic Brown/Cedar Semi/Natural. Rails, trim, and 'ceiling' coated with SW Deckscapes. Homeowner opted to save some money and install new balusters himself (thankfully).

post-3028-137772322804_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772322815_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772322824_thumb.jpg

post-3028-137772322832_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tonyg

19 answers to this question

Tony that looks incredible! When you deal with verticals that are going to get stained with the solid white, do you still strip the wood or can you stain deckscapes white on top of what is on there?

Tony that looks incredible! When you deal with verticals that are going to get stained with the solid white, do you still strip the wood or can you stain deckscapes white on top of what is on there?

Thanks Charlie! I apply the first coat of solid, then stain the semi-trans (oil), then apply second coat to finish the solid. I try to keep the oil off the trim as much as possible then clean or wipe down with lacquer thinner to get rid of the oil residue.

Hmm I like that idea..! Sorry for the confusing question though...I meant to ask whether you put your solid right over the existing gray to avoid stripping it. Like on those railings and trim did you strip all that down to bare wood or did you just just apply the deckscapes on top of the gray?

Been using ProVT which is a pain to work with but its self priming so I can avoid stripping railings if they are slated to be two tone anyway. I'd like to try deckscapes just didnt know if you could use it over an existing finish or if you need bare wood. Thanks!

Hmm I like that idea..! Sorry for the confusing question though...I meant to ask whether you put your solid right over the existing gray to avoid stripping it. Like on those railings and trim did you strip all that down to bare wood or did you just just apply the deckscapes on top of the gray?

Been using ProVT which is a pain to work with but its self priming so I can avoid stripping railings if they are slated to be two tone anyway. I'd like to try deckscapes just didnt know if you could use it over an existing finish or if you need bare wood. Thanks!

Gotcha - Deckscapes is pretty versatile as you don't need a primer for bare wood and can recoat an existing finish. After I did a test strip, removing the stain from anything else was not going to happen. It was hard enough to get the floor right so staying with the solid on the trim was the only choice - besides fire anyway which I though seriously about.

I'm with you on that one! Reason I was asking is I have a similar job coming up and I have little expectation to budge the solid Behr on the rails, so I'm planning on upselling the two tone. Cabot ProVT has been OK, but its the thickest thing I have ever seen and I haven't been pleased at all with the mildewcide. That deck looks excellent so I might need to give it a go with the SW.

Coincidence perhaps, but I also not too pleased with mildewcide situation on a job with ProVT. Yes job environment was prone to regrowth but still.. regrowing stuff within the same year or so does not please me. I'd like to say the OVT maybe their better option but have not revisited locations with that version and it also not recommended as being compatable with just about anything such that the ProVT was billed as being.

Coincidence perhaps, but I also not too pleased with mildewcide situation on a job with ProVT. Yes job environment was prone to regrowth but still.. regrowing stuff within the same year or so does not please me. I'd like to say the OVT maybe their better option but have not revisited locations with that version and it also not recommended as being compatable with just about anything such that the ProVT was billed as being.

Yea we had to do a "freebie" for a customer who emailed me less than 6 months after my initial application of PROVTand he had black and green mold all over the rails. If I run into another tough strip and we are forced to do two tone, might as well try theo sherwin williams and see if it seems better against mildew.

Yea we had to do a "freebie" for a customer who emailed me less than 6 months after my initial application of PROVTand he had black and green mold all over the rails. If I run into another tough strip and we are forced to do two tone, might as well try theo sherwin williams and see if it seems better against mildew.

Charlie, I use the SW (and Ben Moore) paints so I am more familiar with the make up of their materials. The Deckscapes is loaded with mildewcides. I had a few problems with Cabot's with mildew - once because of over-application and the others just product. After a few months talking with Cabot's they finally offered to send me a few gallons to recoat if I wanted to. I like the SW stains better than BM and I've stayed with the SW ever since.

Rick - Scott put them in this morning :)

GREAT JOB TONY!!!! Everything turned out ok with the sealed custom concrete around the spa & steps etc?

Yep, for the most part. I posted a couple of pics in the other thread - the duct tape did more damage than the stripper