Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Ipe' stain longevity

Question

The more ipe' we do, the more I am convinced that letting the wood naturally age and weather is the best course, prior to applying a finish that will last for any appreciable time.

Case in point. On the way home yesterday, stopped by to look at a small ipe' job we stained 9 months ago. As can be seen in the last two pictures, this ipe' was moldy, dirty, and very weathered to the point of surface degradation. The owner stated that the wood had not been cleaned or stained in at least 5 years.

At the 9 month mark, this ipe' looks terrific. The stain pigment has held up remarkably well. The wood is near perfect. The stain used was Ready Seal medium red, two light applications on the floor and a single application on all vertical wood.

post-170-137772325434_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772325446_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772325456_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772325465_thumb.jpg

Edited by RPetry

82 answers to this question

The first two photographs are of the original application of The A/C Mahogany (Top half) and The old Cabot 550 Mahogany Flame (bottom half) and the test location.

post-28-137772357785_thumb.jpg

The next two photographs are the A/C Mahogany alone and the entire test board (A/C Mahogany on the top half and the old Cabot 550 on the bottom half) after one (1) year of testing.

post-28-137772357857_thumb.jpg

I lightly cleaned the above board with a weak solution of Dawn and water and let dry a couple of days before taking the photographs.

As you can see, The untreated portion of the IPE board is finally turning gray.

post-28-137772357721_thumb.jpg

post-28-137772357851_thumb.jpg

Edited by weathershield
changes

First photograph is of the test location just as the snow was melting.

post-28-137772362998_thumb.jpg

Next two photographs are of the A/C Mahogany and then the entire board with the A/C Mahogany on the top and the old Cabot 550 on the bottom.

post-28-137772362867_thumb.jpg

post-28-137772362735_thumb.jpg

Edited by weathershield

Last year's stain test on ipe' was Defy for Hardwoods, a water based "nano-technology" product reputed to be longer lasting than most stains on hardwoods.

Attached are two pictures, taken this spring about 11 months after initial application.

IMO, the stain did not outperform quality oil stains. In fact, the wear pattern on the deck is probably a bit worse, with many bare wood areas that have "greyed" out. As can be expected on a film type coating, Defy also scratches worse than oils on ipe'. On the plus side, Defy easily strips off with a medium strength sodium hydroxide stripper.

post-170-137772380269_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772380282_thumb.jpg

This year's ipe' test is A-C's mahogany oil stain.

The previous year's Defy was stripped, oxalic acid applied to brighten, and rinsed. The ipe' was lightly sanded with 60 grit.

Two separate light oilings were applied a day apart on the ipe', with one heavy application on the PT. The spindles, gate, and lattice are pressure treated wood. The teak furniture is stained with Ready Seal medium red stain.

This is a tough test deck for any ipe' stain. In addition to two dogs, the deck gets a lot of use and full sun for most of the day.

post-170-137772380291_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772380301_thumb.jpg

post-170-13777238031_thumb.jpg

The first two photographs are of the original application of The A/C Mahogany (Top half) and The old Cabot 550 Mahogany Flame (bottom half) and the test location.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16561[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16562[/ATTACH]

The next two photographs are the A/C Mahogany alone and the entire test board (A/C Mahogany on the top half and the old Cabot 550 on the bottom half) after one (1) year of testing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16563[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16564[/ATTACH]

I lightly cleaned the above board with a weak solution of Dawn and water and let dry a couple of days before taking the photographs.

As you can see, The untreated portion of the IPE board is finally turning gray.

....it's about time! :lol:

Beth

Diamond Jim (AKA) James,

How are your tests for the Armstrong Clark Mahogany Stain coming? Or are you just willing to post disparaging words?

Jake

Glad things are thawing out for you there Rick! Deck looks nice. We've been doing a lot of those style chairs like you have lately...seems they are always missing one of the "stopper" bolts on the chair back...very comfy though!

The test board is an IPE deck board that had never been exposed to the elements. The board was cleaned in January 2010 with a very mild stripper solution and neutralized with a very mild acid solution.

The top portion of the board is two coats of A/C mahogany stain that has been exposed to the weather for 18 months at an elevation of 5500 feet.

The middle section of the board is the balance of the top portion which has been cleaned with a mild sodium percarbonate solution and recoated with a medium maintenance coat of A/C mahogany stain (brushed).

The bottom portion of the board is the original IPE.

The board will be placed in a horizontal position for additional testing.

post-28-137772385009_thumb.jpg

The test board is an IPE deck board that had never been exposed to the elements. The board was cleaned in January 2010 with a very mild stripper solution and neutralized with a very mild acid solution.

The top portion of the board is two coats of A/C mahogany stain that has been exposed to the weather for 19 months at an elevation of 5500 feet.

The middle section of the board is the balance of the top portion which has been cleaned with a mild sodium percarbonate solution and recoated with a medium maintenance coat of A/C mahogany stain (brushed). Now in the second month of exposure.

The board is being tested in a horizontal position.

post-28-137772389496_thumb.jpg

I have an old Ipe deck (10+ years old).

I've stained it off and on in that time.

The last couple of times have been with wood tux.

This spring I decided to sand the deck as many of the boards were discolored, wouldn't hold a stain evenly, some areas were greyed out, etc.

I used 40 grit as recommended on many sites (you apparently don't want the wood too smooth).

Took the stain nicely.......but now, only after 2 months max, the stain is basically gone & the deck looks blotchy.

I had done the whole cleaning/brightening process before staining too.

Would you recommend applying more stain before fall/winter hits (I'm in Minnesota), or letting it sit till next spring.

Any ideas why the stain disappeared so fast?

I'm not surprised at all by the results you are getting. It is your prep. You took off the open wood, went back to new wood. If it had been pine or cedar, your sealer would have performed better. With ipe, it's like applying to new wood. Wood prep on ipe is a very fine line to walk.....

Beth

Hello Bill,

I rarely post as dialogues answer so many more questions than multiple monologues. As a manufacturer, I would suggest you call WoodTux and ask for their advice, though I think Beth nailed the problem. Lyle is well experienced also. If you wish, please feel free to give me a call on my cell 1 209 541 6579.

Jake

IPE test board:20 months exposure on original and 3 months on recoat

The top portion of the board is two coats of A/C mahogany stain that has been exposed to the weather for 20 months at an elevation of 5500 feet.

The middle section of the board is the balance of the top portion which has been cleaned with a mild sodium percarbonate solution and recoated with a medium maintenance coat of A/C mahogany stain (brushed). Now in the third month of exposure.

The board is being tested in a horizontal position.

We are in the monsoon season, so the test board has been rained on almost every day.

post-28-13777239419_thumb.jpg