Sign in to follow this  
Chazz

Never knew it took so much

I would like to introduce myself my name is Charles Muli. I have so far created my LLC and opened up a business account. I have yet to get insurance and create a website and buy my equipment. I never realized how much thought and planning one needs to get into this business. I was originally going to try to get my business up and running quick with cheaper equipment and no insurance, but after reading many hours of different subjects on this forum i knew i was sadly mistaken and i had to reverse my thoughts and carefully plan this through. I would like to thank you all for this correction and i hope you are all there when i need you, because i know for sure i am going to need you guys/gals

Thanks in advance Hydro Powerwashing Staten Island New York still working on a logo...

Charles, you have come to an understanding, that not many people who tried to start a pressure washing business has come to. I have seen so many guys buy equipment first, only to find out they had no idea how to run a business, and then have to sell a $20,000.00 rig for $7,000.00 6 months later.

You're on the right path, Educate yourself first, have a plan. Washing is the easy part, running a successful Pressure Washing Business is the hard part!!!!

Good Luck Buddy!!!!!

Sounds like your definately on the right path. I've been in the biz over 3 years now and still find myself needing to buy all kinds of new tools and equipment all the time. Probably wouldn't have to but just find that some things work better, faster, and easier and just have to have them ya know.

Thanks Buddy...i appreciate the advise, also i would love to buy a $20,000.00 rig for 7 grand...haha

Don't laugh, I bought 1 of them off a guy who went under, rig had 18hrs on it. I felt bad for about 10 mins. :)

Hi Charles, welcome to the world of powerwashing. The best thing you can do is educate yourself before buying anything. You can waste a boatload of money by purchasing the wrong things. Educate yourself here, ask questions.

Hi Charles, welcome to the world of powerwashing. The best thing you can do is educate yourself before buying anything. You can waste a boatload of money by purchasing the wrong things. Educate yourself here, ask questions.

Thank You Rick2...I am however thinking of buying a 5.5 gpm cold 20 hp 3500psi system, and a classice surface cleaner and an m5-xjet withsome extra hose and qc's

I will be doing mostly residential, decks,patios,fences,cement driveways, and houses. Does that sound of to you? or do ineed to spring for the hot water 4gmg 3500psi

that i don't really have the cash for right now?

Charles muli

Thank You Rick2...I am however thinking of buying a 5.5 gpm cold 20 hp 3500psi system, and a classice surface cleaner and an m5-xjet withsome extra hose and qc's

I will be doing mostly residential, decks,patios,fences,cement driveways, and houses. Does that sound of to you? or do ineed to spring for the hot water 4gmg 3500psi

that i don't really have the cash for right now?

Charles muli

Charles, Go with a hot water skid, 5.5 3500psi unit. It may cost more right now, but that will be recouped very fast in time savings. Hot Water opens revenue streams that you won't be able to do with a cold water machine. Don't want hot water, cut the switch OFF. Keep an eye on ebay and craigslist, you can pick up a good used unit for a third of the price of new one.

Matter of fact I have a Alkota 5355 J for sale only a 1000 hrs. $2500.00

You've done your homework on your Business, don't limit yourself on equipment. I do 80% residential work, but all of my units are Hot Water skids, why???? Because I want to be prepared for whatever job comes my way. If you're dead set on a cold water unit, go with higher gpm, like 8 gpm. The more gpm the faster you wash.

Edited by Guy B
added content

Charles, Go with a hot water skid, 5.5 3500psi unit. It may cost more right now, but that will be recouped very fast in time savings. Hot Water opens revenue streams that you won't be able to do with a cold water machine. Don't want hot water, cut the switch OFF. Keep an eye on ebay and craigslist, you can pick up a good used unit for a third of the price of new one.

Matter of fact I have a Alkota 5355 J for sale only a 1000 hrs. $2500.00

You've done your homework on your Business, don't limit yourself on equipment. I do 80% residential work, but all of my units are Hot Water skids, why???? Because I want to be prepared for whatever job comes my way. If you're dead set on a cold water unit, go with higher gpm, like 8 gpm. The more gpm the faster you wash.

Well i would love a 8 gpm but from what i think i understand from reading the forum, i would need a float tank in order to feed my washer the 8 gpm it needs

and that starts to get very advanced for me, i would be better off buying a trailer set up then with a 200 something gallon tank and a soap tank with reels for my hoses and all, which would mean a lot of extra cash$$$ i can do it that way but i would have to save up and come out of the starting gate next season...

or i could buy the 5.5 gpm cold right now and start making money next week, i already started paying insurance

thoughts? also please let me know about that alkota thanks charles

Again, you have done your homework Charles. Would it be a problem to hit the ground running next season fully prepared, or jump the gun with improper equipment??? In your region you only have a few months left anyway.

Look you seem to be doing everything right, LLC, insurance. Why go to all that trouble if you're not going to equip yourself for maximum profit?? What if you snag a chain of stores??? Are you going to be able to pop gum, clean dumpster pads, or quickly clean dirty concrete with cold water, I don't think so.

I know some people will disagree with me on this, and thats cool. But I know what has worked for me, and it's worked pretty good.

Don't short change yourself on equipment, do it right.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down guys that use cold water. But from the time I started thinking about getting into pressure washing, I knew I was going to buy a hot water rig. You leave too much money on the table by not using hot water.

Fleets- Hot Water

Greasy Concrete- Hot Water

Dirty, Greasy Heavy Equipment-Hot Water

Gum- Hot Water

Houses- Hot Water Soap, Cold Water rinse (Great Selling Tool)

Hood & Vents - Hot Water

Will a cold water machine clean all of the above....sure, but it will take longer, and cost more in stronger chems to make up for the temperature difference, so you make less money. I don't know about you, but I didn't start this business to make less money, I started it to make as much as possible.

Just Think About It.

Honestly the chemical part of the business does not sit right with me after reading stories of emergency room visits, and not to mention what the long term affect will be...so yes i would like to use less chemicals and it looks like i'll have to wait till next season to buy a hot waster unit. But im still chomping at the bit and my wife is getting tired of me pointing out every dirty house i could be washing..haha thanks for your insight..

Notice nobody is trying to sell you on a cold water unit. You came here to ask the pro's and these guys are the best. a hot water unit can keep you busy in the winter also so you can make up the differance instead of having your equipment parked. around here we have 5 or more months of snow a year and cold water just wont do. Buy a used machine to get you started if you need to, come up with some creative financing if you need, just dont sell youself short. You have already done a ton of research and are on the right track and you know you need hot water. I started my business last year so I know what challenges are going through your head. You are doing the right thing by educating your self here.

A float tank doesn't have to be complicated. you can pick one up on e bay /craigs list all the time. Good luck

is it a bad idea to try and set up a system in the bed of a pick up truck, or should i buy a trailer? I love the look of an open trailer

it looks so professional when it's done right and uniformed, i have never seen anything like that around here in staten island new york and i think the customers would be either very impressed or very afraid....haha not sure but i love the look and feel i would have a lot of confidence pulling up to a house even though i am clueless of what i am doing i will sure look the part.

Thanks ... i'm torturing myself as is on what to buy and i know your right about the 10 gpm's...and i like the idea of less maintenance, being mechanically challenged as i am, but having the ability of hot water at my disposal i think is a plus...

But you do have me thinking...

I like that myself...what kind of van or pickup do i need to pull a rig such as yours? I prefer the pick up because i would like to unhitch and use the tuck for personal use....can i get away with a ford 150?

Depends on how big your rig is. i run an E-250 & an E-150, with 5.4 & 4.6 engines.

While a lot of guys use pick ups, I prefer vans, just a personal choice, more advertising area, and to me more professional.

I don't own a personal vehicle, where I go so does the van, and so does the business name.

Buy a cold water unit to start and then get the hot water as you go. It sounds like you are doing houses and decks and buildings. You only need hot water for grease and gum. I have been doing it for 21 years and all my trucks have tanks with 2 or 3 machines on it and they all have a 10 gal. Cold water Machine that is used more than anything.

As I mentioned before I started my business last year and I had my rig in the back of an F-150 all summer. It was great I got all kinds of looks and people began to recognize my company very quickly. Also it was very easy to maneuver, back up and park in tight spaces. the downside was there was very little room for all the other equipment besides the PW and it was exposed to all the elements. I put it in an insulated enclosed trailer when it started to get cold out to protects it but

now that its hot out again I wish I could go back to the pick up but now its just not enough space

. post-4869-137772334332_thumb.jpg

Edited by nlightning