Sign in to follow this  
ordep81

Downstream vs. X-Jet?

The more I read the more I get confused about this subject. Was just hoping somebody could clear things up. From that past couple days of reading I understand that both apply chemical after the pump. The xjet's chems get mixed w/ water at the nozzle and the downstreamers typically get mixed w/ water after the pump and travel through hoses, is this correct? Also w/ xjet you typically carry around the chem whereas with the downstreamer you can leave chem next to the pw. Now what im wondering is why would you choose one over the other? I have a 4gpm cold water machine and would like to start doing residential washing (siding and roofs) hence at choosing the right equipment. I know w/ roofs its best to have a chem pump with the proper setup, but if i can downstream or xjet roofs as of right now im just looking to start small and get my feet wet at first. Thank you for any help.

You are correct about the xjet and ds. I would say definately go with downstreaming. That way you don't have to carry the bucket of chem around with you. It is nice to have an xjet on hand though for those times you might need the chem a little stronger. You will definately want a seperate set up for roof washing. Downstreaming or an xjet won't get the chems on strong enough for most roofs.

The more I read the more I get confused about this subject. Was just hoping somebody could clear things up. From that past couple days of reading I understand that both apply chemical after the pump. The xjet's chems get mixed w/ water at the nozzle and the downstreamers typically get mixed w/ water after the pump and travel through hoses, is this correct? Also w/ xjet you typically carry around the chem whereas with the downstreamer you can leave chem next to the pw. Now what im wondering is why would you choose one over the other? I have a 4gpm cold water machine and would like to start doing residential washing (siding and roofs) hence at choosing the right equipment. I know w/ roofs its best to have a chem pump with the proper setup, but if i can downstream or xjet roofs as of right now im just looking to start small and get my feet wet at first. Thank you for any help.

Please go to your "settings" and complete your signature line. House rules .

Welcome to TGS.

Edited by Adrian
potter scares me!!!!!!!!.

One -vs- the other...

Overall it is a matter of preference and condition of your back I guess.

I prefer the M-5 x-jet with the adjustable nozzle pattern over downstreaming.

1. It doesn't allow chems into your high pressure line which can degrade the lining leading to possible burst hose(s).

2. When I am done applying, I don't like to have to wait for the line to clear to start rinsing.

3. Ball valves often get stuck to the O'ring inside the unit and require maintenance and downtime to correct. When they get stuck, it won't draw chemical.

4. Under low pressure injection while downstreaming, there is not enough pressure to reach upper levels of houses unless you are going to use an extendable wand (18'-24') which is a back killer for sure.

Carrying around a 5 gallon pail with a lid on it and fitted with QC's, a draw hose w/filter extending into the bucket takes care of the spill issues while a siphon valve helps to provide air intake. A set of male and female QC plugs connected together through the lid makes this easy.

Having a longer hose (15'-20') for the draw helps minimize the amount of carrying you have to do and gives you more freedom to move around and work while applying your chems.

One could also get a small dolly to carry the bucket around with. Saves the back.

I am just one of the ideas on this. Others have their preferences but remember they will be based on the type of work they are doing. For residential, trust me, the M-5 x-jet rocks!

Rod!~

One -vs- the other...

Overall it is a matter of preference and condition of your back I guess.

I prefer the M-5 x-jet with the adjustable nozzle pattern over downstreaming.

1. It doesn't allow chems into your high pressure line which can degrade the lining leading to possible burst hose(s).

2. When I am done applying, I don't like to have to wait for the line to clear to start rinsing.

3. Ball valves often get stuck to the O'ring inside the unit and require maintenance and downtime to correct. When they get stuck, it won't draw chemical.

4. Under low pressure injection while downstreaming, there is not enough pressure to reach upper levels of houses unless you are going to use an extendable wand (18'-24') which is a back killer for sure.

Carrying around a 5 gallon pail with a lid on it and fitted with QC's, a draw hose w/filter extending into the bucket takes care of the spill issues while a siphon valve helps to provide air intake. A set of male and female QC plugs connected together through the lid makes this easy.

Having a longer hose (15'-20') for the draw helps minimize the amount of carrying you have to do and gives you more freedom to move around and work while applying your chems.

One could also get a small dolly to carry the bucket around with. Saves the back.

I am just one of the ideas on this. Others have their preferences but remember they will be based on the type of work they are doing. For residential, trust me, the M-5 x-jet rocks!

Rod!~

What Rod says is what we do. I did the downstream thing years ago and it never worked as good as I wanted it to. Today we have a 15 gal tank on a hand truck that has the chemical mix in it and also about 30' of hose and a M5 X-jet at the end of the hose. We wheel that around the house and hook it up to the tip of the wand and presto the chem draw is amazing. No comparison for residential wash when using the M5 x jet and I down streamed for at least 5 yrs until I discovered the x-jet around 10 yrs ago.

Both downstreaming and X-Jetting are efficient methods for house washing. If they weren't both efficient methods there would'nt be all of the debates of one vs. the other. It's simply a matter of preference.

Personally, I find dragging a soap bucket or soap cart around a house and dealing with the extra (soap) hose to be a bummer. I've used both methods and prefer the downstreaming method by far.

Both methods are very effective at getting chems where you want them to be, and both have their downsides. A work around for having to wheel a cart around with the x-jet is adding longer hose, but it means more hose to get tangled up on trees and plants and other hose and even you.

I know about pressure hose blow outs over time in the middle of a job when downstreaming, chem spouting everywhere. Not that I choose one over the other but at least you would be able to complete the job if you had the x-jet as backup. And that's what I do ,keep one as a backup for the other.