Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

1st time scenario / spots came back.

Question

post-1033-137772338504_thumb.jpgClearly the spots on this resi were removed. Clearly. ( before and after pics show this fact)

Customers states that the spots came back not long after the cleaning. ( maybe a week).

I think it is some sort of mud nest building insect that has targeted this customers house because of the planks design which leaves a gap for entry into the inside of the roof area. His place had various assortment of "critters" running around the property.

OR: it could be something entirely different.

The customer is NOT upset with my service, however he is just as confused as I am about the spots returning.

Initially, the texture of the spots felt as if they were mud and bonded to the surface. However they also look like ariel splatters.

Any ideas?

post-1033-137772338571_thumb.jpg

10 answers to this question

OOPS.....Somehow I posted the pics in reverse order.

The second picture is the "Before" pic that I took when I arrived onsite.

The first picture is "After" taken at completion of project.

Customer states the "spots" have since returned.

Yes, lots of rain on and off. Even flooding.

However, initially when I touched and felt one of the actual spots before the cleaning. The gritty mudlike surface of the spots felt as if they were "bonded" or "glued" to the surface.

That's what's wierd, I actually had to use force with my hand to loosen the bond and break it up to make any of it crumble.

So I don't think that it would grip like that because of rain splatter.

However "non-uniform" the actual splatters look, they do seem to be strategically located only at the top of the structure around the house near the divet or groove lines of the panels.

Really wierd, because after I cleaned the resi, there were no more "gritty " to the touch, splatters anywhere. Plus there were no visible splatters remaining. It has been about 2 weeks since the cleaning.

I still believe that it is an insect burrowing "inside" the house at the access points of the exterior paneling. An insect that uses mud or dirt for it's nest, and the splatter marks on the outside are it's nest building refuse that gets pushed back out through the access divet in the paneling.

Not really sure though if I can pin this one on the rain due to the bonding of the mud/dirt and the way it presents itself.

It seems to have too strong of a bond for it to be rain splash.

Just my take though.

Yes, lots of rain on and off. Even flooding.

However, initially when I touched and felt one of the actual spots before the cleaning. The gritty mudlike surface of the spots felt as if they were "bonded" or "glued" to the surface.

That's what's wierd, I actually had to use force with my hand to loosen the bond and break it up to make any of it crumble.

So I don't think that it would grip like that because of rain splatter.

However "non-uniform" the actual splatters look, they do seem to be strategically located only at the top of the structure around the house near the divet or groove lines of the panels.

Really wierd, because after I cleaned the resi, there were no more "gritty " to the touch, splatters anywhere. Plus there were no visible splatters remaining. It has been about 2 weeks since the cleaning.

I still believe that it is an insect burrowing "inside" the house at the access points of the exterior paneling. An insect that uses mud or dirt for it's nest, and the splatter marks on the outside are it's nest building refuse that gets pushed back out through the access divet in the paneling.

Not really sure though if I can pin this one on the rain due to the bonding of the mud/dirt and the way it presents itself.

It seems to have too strong of a bond for it to be rain splash.

Just my take though.

I will take a wild guess at this....Looks like a dirty roof bleeding down thru a gap in the gutters.....maybe gutters full and when it rains it causes overflow

I vote for carpenter bees. (They are easily identified by their tool belts.) They actually look like bumble bees and hollow-out fascia trim or any wood - including pressure teated - to lay eggs. Usually, woodpeckers attack the fascia boards to get at the larva. They leave the trim looking like a machine gun has strafed the house. The mess is referred to as fras - a mix of wood and bee poop.

Carpenter bees will bore a perfect 3/8 hole in the wood and you will see bits of "sawdust" below it. Look for the sawdust on the edge of the roof and then look up.

Thanks alot guys. I have given this suggestion to my customer. Again, he is not upset with the cleaning project at all.

Just baffled as to why the spots have returned.

When I cleaned his resi, I actually felt the surface afterward with my hand, and it was as smooth as glass with no debris left behind.

He is very appreciative ( sp?) of your suggestions as well.

We agreed that he should at least first consult an exterminator to identify and confirm the cause.

Thanks again