Sign in to follow this  
Chad16

Angry Homeowner

Question

17 answers to this question

You shouldn't have left your flyer on Lighning Gene's door. He hates that kind of stuff.

Kidding.

Some people are just " Richard Heads" that way.

Carry on.

I was threatened with legal action once by the post office if I "Ever did that again!" I stuffed my neighborhood mailboxes with snowplow flyers years ago.

Tell us your story.

I was just passing out flyers in my own subdivision and I was on the last street before walking to my house. Which her street is connected to our loop and I see her all the time, but I guess she didn't reconize me. As I was placing the flyer in the door she drove up with her 3 kids so I walked back to the driveway and she jumped out and asked how @#*k I was I tried to tell her what I was doing and she started cussing and yelling at for being on her property. I told her I was sorry that it would n't happen again. Then she starts saying she calling the cops while I'm walking away from her house and calling me trash and a few other colorful words that would make a sailor blush. The funny thing is she called the H.O.A rep for her street . The HOA rep for her street is my wife. So my wife knew about it before I could even tell her. Kinda pops your ego alittle, but I guess thats part of the job.

Well, you're going to have those days sometimes. I'm sure there's a few more in the future for all of us, don't let it get to you.

I know some don't agree with me on this. I will not knock on doors, use door hangers or other forms of advertizing that takes me on to anyone's property. I do not like it when someone does that to me, so I will not do it to someone else.

I'm not saying it's wrong, it's just not for me.

I know some don't agree with me on this. I will not knock on doors, use door hangers or other forms of advertizing that takes me on to anyone's property. I do not like it when someone does that to me, so I will not do it to someone else.

Took me a while to realize the same thing. When we first started out, I knocked on doors, hung door hangers, etc...realized that it usually pissed people off more than anything. We have much more success with professional looking postcards and local advertising. I agree with David...

And also to add to what David is saying you better check the town ordinance where your doing this because it may be a Violation. Where I work its a Violation and if you get caught you will be summons and you will have to appear in court and explain it to the judge as to why you trespassed and Violated the Town Ordinance... Oh yea ignorance to the law never works. Besides that I to would not do that because I don't like it done to me. The first person I chase off of my property is the Jehova Witnesses. I can't stand them trying to shove something down my throat on my own property. My attitude to them is to take a hike..

Not exactly...

Just put it behind you.

Can't win 'em all, and some people oughta have a license just to breathe.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks you can get along with just fine.

... If there's some kinda ridiculous town ordinance regarding soliciting, or trying to earn money by doing work of a common nature,

and you get tagged, go to the little muni court if they give you a citation... You just stand up there and tell that goon in the black robe that you are doing your best to earn a meal and shelter. Would he prefer you stand in line to sign up for welfare ?

You are not guilty of a crime and don't be bashful advising him so.

Edited by Tmrrptr

It's likely happened to anyone of us who are in 'Sales' .. angry Hm Owner's.

However, it comes w/ the type of business that we do.

Contrary to belief, I've had a great deal of success w/ cold calling door to door and find it to be a very challenging experience.

Mind you it's a ratio game of numbers and the more NO's you get, tends to drive me (us) further and further for YES's!

I'll add that I was in the "Yellow Pages" for a year and THAT was a TOTAL WASTE OF HARD EARNED $$$$$$

Edited by mrwindow

just smile and take it off their door. crumple it up and say. "most people just do this, but I can see your having a bad day so Ill do it for you."

Knocking on doors does work, but is mostly a waste of time.

I cold called before, many times and for every irate person you come across, I found you meet 10 really nice people, their all not going to use your service but don't let a couple individuals stop you from trying to earn a living. It beats sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring. The fact that a lot of people don't like cold calling gives you an advantage by just showing up and letting people know what a great guy you are and what great service you provide.

I cold called before, many times and for every irate person you come across, I found you meet 10 really nice people, their all not going to use your service but don't let a couple individuals stop you from trying to earn a living. It beats sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring. The fact that a lot of people don't like cold calling gives you an advantage by just showing up and letting people know what a great guy you are and what great service you provide.

I Like It!!!

I've never experienced an angry Homeowner when out cold calling, want to know the secret????...............Don't Sell!!!!!!!!!! That's not a joke, it works.

I did ,but the problem I had with her was that even after saying I was sorry and leaving her property she was still cussing me in the street walking away. Oh well Still passing them out only ran into one other HO kinda like that since then. For the most part you run into some pretty nice people.