Sign in to follow this  
Rick2

Mixing Sodium Hydroxide

I just picked up a 5 gallon of liquid Sodium Hydroxide today and have a few questions about it. I have never used the stuff but I do know how nasty it is. I plan to use it just for around the garage as a degreeser. "CedarSam" told me he mixes 2 to 6 ounces per gallon to wash trucks, does this sound about right? Will a regular pump sprayer work or do I need Viton seals? Any other information about Sodium Hydroxide you can share? I'm not planning on touching this stuff until I know all the facts. Thanks!

PS, I used the search button but can't find all I need to know.

Yes use Viton seals donot use brass wands yes you can use a pump sprayer.Watch out for soft metals risk of gas,discoloration,burn through,ect.Be carful around you can be a bad burn to skin wear saftey glasses or goggles.Resperators is nice to.Hope this helps.

Marko

Thanks Marco. What do you recommend for a weak mixing ratio? I'm just looking to clean oil spots in the driveway, the lawnmower and other garage type things. My neighbor would like his Bobcat cleaned as well, it gets pretty greasy. Does it actually turn the grease into something soap-like?

Edited by Rick2

Thanks Marco. What do you recommend for a weak mixing ratio? I'm just looking to clean oil spots in the driveway, the lawnmower and other garage type things. My neighbor would like his Bobcat cleaned as well, it gets pretty greasy. Does it actually turn the grease into something soap-like?

I would say for a weak solution between 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup per gallon and a splash of soap(dish soap or any cheap degreaser).

And your question yes in a way it does turn grease into a soap like.I never confirmed that though but from what ive seen it looks like it or the mix i use just likes to sud a while,lol.

Marko

Rick i forgot that is for powder,just an add on.As with any chem use caution on the surfaces you wash and yourself good luck bro.

Marko

The sodium hydroxide I purchased is 25 percent liquid (if that helps to answer my mixing question). I didn't think to buy beads, didn't even think to ask. Do you think 75 dollars is an average price to pay for 5 gallons?

To me Rick, that seems high.

I get 30 lb. bags of beads for 30.00 and some change.

It makes a lot more than 5 gallons. A whole lot more.

Do you think 75 dollars is an average price to pay for 5 gallons?

Yes.Bigtime.call me i will sell you 50 pound sodium hydroxide beads in five gallon bucket with pour spout for $42.50 plus shipping cost.

Marko

Saponification: . A reaction in which an ester is heated with an alkali, such as sodium hydroxide, producing a free alcohol and an acid salt, especially alkaline hydrolysis of a fat or oil to make soap.

When used on grease, it forms a type of soap but not one of the quality we use.

Rod!~

25 % in weight so if water is roughly 8lbs and there are 5 gallons of mix into the bucket you have 40lbs of water. 25% caustic mix would yield around 10lbs of beads into the mix roughly. I am unsure if that calculation is correct but its a good guess

That sounds about right. I'm going to try it tomorrow and use Marco's suggestion of .25 cup per gallon.

Marco, if you're reading this, do the beeds have a shelf-life? This isn't a chemical I would use too often. I'm sure it would take over a year to use the beeds. I think I'll be taking you up on the offer of buying some from you. Thanks.

That sounds about right. I'm going to try it tomorrow and use Marco's suggestion of .25 cup per gallon.

Marco, if you're reading this, do the beeds have a shelf-life? This isn't a chemical I would use too often. I'm sure it would take over a year to use the beeds. I think I'll be taking you up on the offer of buying some from you. Thanks.

You will have to pay hazmat shipping costs on this order from Marco, save yourself some time and money and call around locally to find it. Look in the yellow pages at chemical suppliers/distributors and see who you can get it from. Brenntag, Harcros, Ideal, there are several that are possibly in your area

Anything you would recommend? I don't use it at all in my powerwashing work, I just want something for use around the house and garage. I know that mixing my own is about a zillion times cheaper than buying it at an autoparts store.

I'm not the right person to ask. Maybe Scott Stone or someone else who does a lot of garages. For petroleum oil stains purple power or anything with sodium metasilicate works better than sodium hydroxide in my limited experience.

Petroleum oil is not the same as kitchen grease. Sodium Hydroxide works on kitchen grease. I have had it splash on my vans, it discolors paint. No way would I try SH as an engine degreaser unless it was my equipment, and did not care if the paint came off or the chrome was discolored or the glass was etched. Free advice for what it is worth from someone who never tried SH on anything except grease.

Have you tried SH on petroleum or finished surfaces Marko?

remember this old formula.

2 pails 2.5 gal water in each.

to 1 pail add 5 lbs NaOH, stir.

the other a box of corn starch, stir.

pour starch water into HaOH water,stir.

Thick and gloppy.

ALL SAFTY GEAR ON AND USED, STAY ALIVE.

No way would I try SH as an engine degreaser unless it was my equipment, and did not care if the paint came off or the chrome was discolored or the glass was etched.

I clean my engines with hydroxide.....not that hard to get it only on the engine. I can't stand working on a oily or greasy motor.....first thing I do is warm it up, shut it off and hit it with some dawn and caustic in a pump-up.