Sign in to follow this  
Shawn F.

My general questions!

Question

I have about 3 general questions that I thought of while washing my home and doing my first actual job on a friends home...

1.) First question is about applying some kind of wax to the vinyl siding of the home. I understand this has somewhat been discussed before but I am still confused as to if I mix it into my cleaning solution or what? Also what are some of the top brands and kinds to use to seal the vinyl after stripping/cleaning?

2.) Second question is cleaning the exterior of the gutters. I could not get the black marks off the white gutters at my friends home. I used Landa cleaner called Road Grime I believe in a 6 gallon bucket. I messed with my mixes and no matter how strong it didn't budge. I even tried some bleach on a rough rag and still no luck along with degreaser (Simple Green to be exact). Is there some kind of cleaner out there that you guys would recommend to clean these black streaks off metal and gutters?

3.) Last question is for my own home. I need to clean the algae from the shingles of my roof and have read up on some cleaners which I have one in mind I will use and also read NOT to use pressure nor much bleach if any at all on a shingle roof. My problem is the pitch and height of the roof. What are you guys doing to clean high and steep pitched roofs?

As for my setup currently I am using a 4 gpm 3200psi pressure washer with a 12 foot aluminum wand which I found much better than a heavy telescoping wand and cut my time WAY down compared to climbing a ladder and hand scrubbing and applying the detergents. I understand my pressure washer is a bit small, I will eventually move up to at least a 6 gpm heated skid unit or maybe spend the extra money on a 8 gpm depending on how things go.

Anyways, I'd greatly appreciate any information, suggestions and opinions!

20 answers to this question

1) I've never waxed before, but use the search function and you'll find some discussions about it.

2) You'll want to use a product such as "Gutter grenade" or Streak magic to get rid of those black streaks. PWP or Buy the pressure washer items you need at affordable pricing. We have Suttner Cat Giant General Pump Delavan Pressure Pro Hansen Mosmatic Comet Whisper Wash AR pumps trigger guns surface cleaners lances wands duct spinners swivels ball valves chemica to order

3) That would be incorrect about the bleach on the shingles, SH is the ONLY way to go to clean shingles!!!! It is the reccommended methof form the Asphalt Roofing Manfuactures Association. There are several great forums to learn about cleaning shingle roofs. Search for the RCIA, it is a forum dedicated only to roof cleaning

Get yourself set up with a nozzle holder and the appropriate nozzels to ds your chems on the house. Will cut your time way down compared to the 12 foot lance and much easier on the back.

Not sure on the wax but some people have said they use some type of car wash wax with success. Also heard nothing but good things about the "wet wax" from Russel and South Side Implement I think.

F13 for the gutters

Bleach for the roofs. Some people add some sort of soap on the steep pitched roofs just to give the sh some cling.

Thanks a lot for the info guys! Seems like I will be buying some of the F13 you are mentioning. NateF, what do you mean by a nozzle holder? Sorry if that's a dumb question, not sure what it is...

As for cleaning the roof, is there such thing as any equipment out there that will reach from the ground to the roof to rinse?

Thanks again!

NO MORE WET POCKETS OR MISSING NOZZLES! (NOZZLES SOLD SEPERATELY) - SPRAY NOZZLES QUICK CONNECT / 1/4 MEG / 1/8 MEG / HOLDERS / SPECIALTY That is the link to the nozzle holders. Im not sure if you can get them elsewhere or not. You can also buy the F13 there in gallons or 5 gallon pails. In your nozzle holder you can put 4 nozzles and soap and rinse right from the ground "to about 35-40 ft high". I use

Soap Low 1540 nozzle

Soap High 0040 nozzle

Rinse Low 2515 nozzle

Rinse High 0015 nozzle

You might want to check ou the simple cherry house wash also. Works excellent for me. Others might have some other ideas but that's what I've been using for a few years and its worked great so far. Bob or Andy will answer any questions when you call.

Those things are great, they really are. I use a set for my roof gun but I've got to order a few sets for the regular guns. Too many times I've gotten to a job site only to find I've left my chemical tip on the kitchen table back home. Start digging through the truck and trailer looking for a spare.

I will give the Simple Cherry a try. I hear a lot of good things about it but have not used it myself.

Nate, as far as those nozzles, where are these at on the site? Do they attach to my gun and shoot that high or what?

Thanks again guys!

Call and talk to Bob or Andy and tell them the gpm and psi of your machine and they will set you up with the correct nozzles. Should be able to easily shoot 30 feet high or so with your machine. Attatch them right to your gun or the end of a lance if you need more height.

Thanks a lot Nate, I will give them a call and see what I can get. That would be great to be able to do this. I was looking at the X-Jet but just not sure I need it, I like the down streaming and dont mind having to tote around the bucket if I have to. If the nozzles are even easier than the 12 foot lance then I will be VERY happy.

I used a small hose clamp to hold a QC to my gun. My 0 nozzle clips in and out.

I will give the Simple Cherry a try. I hear a lot of good things about it but have not used it myself.

Nate, as far as those nozzles, where are these at on the site? Do they attach to my gun and shoot that high or what?

Thanks again guys!

Shawn, if you want to get "Hands On" and get all your questions answered, take a couple of hour trip down my way. More than happy to help.

1) I've never waxed before, but use the search function and you'll find some discussions about it.

2) You'll want to use a product such as "Gutter grenade" or Streak magic to get rid of those black streaks. PWP or Buy the pressure washer items you need at affordable pricing. We have Suttner Cat Giant General Pump Delavan Pressure Pro Hansen Mosmatic Comet Whisper Wash AR pumps trigger guns surface cleaners lances wands duct spinners swivels ball valves chemica to order

3) That would be incorrect about the bleach on the shingles, SH is the ONLY way to go to clean shingles!!!! It is the reccommended methof form the Asphalt Roofing Manfuactures Association. There are several great forums to learn about cleaning shingle roofs. Search for the RCIA, it is a forum dedicated only to roof cleaning

Can you tell me where to buy this SH for shingles please?

NO MORE WET POCKETS OR MISSING NOZZLES! (NOZZLES SOLD SEPERATELY) - SPRAY NOZZLES QUICK CONNECT / 1/4 MEG / 1/8 MEG / HOLDERS / SPECIALTY That is the link to the nozzle holders. Im not sure if you can get them elsewhere or not. You can also buy the F13 there in gallons or 5 gallon pails. In your nozzle holder you can put 4 nozzles and soap and rinse right from the ground "to about 35-40 ft high". I use

Soap Low 1540 nozzle

Soap High 0040 nozzle

Rinse Low 2515 nozzle

Rinse High 0015 nozzle

You might want to check ou the simple cherry house wash also. Works excellent for me. Others might have some other ideas but that's what I've been using for a few years and its worked great so far. Bob or Andy will answer any questions when you call.

Nate, I need some help decoding the nozzle numbers you listed? Thanks.

Revive, the first two numbers refer to the fan pattern in degrees. "00" would be a zero degree shooter tip "25" would be a 25 degree fan tip. The second two digits refer to orifice size. An "04" will develop 4000 psi at 4 gpm an "08" will develop 4000psi at 8gpm. Oversize orifices will lower the pressure. A 40 orifice will significantly lower the pressure to allow you to inject Chems via downstreamer.

Pat Norman 663-316-7685