Sign in to follow this  
Celeste

Neat Desk / Neat Receipts

OMG - relief for the unorganized has arrived!

I got my "Neat Desk" scanner & software recently and today I got to hook it all up and start putting it to work. This little bugger is THE COOLEST thing since sliced bread.

The Neat Company - Neat Desk : PDF Creator Software : Receipt Organize : OCR : NeatCo.com

There are two pieces of equipment available. A desk sized version for $400 (the one I got) as well as a portable version for about half the cost.

IMO - this is the smartest little thing created for those who don't want to keep 10,001 receipts - or can't keep them organized. It integrates with several softwares (QB included!)

post-7285-137772345401_thumb.jpg

This is what one of the screens looks like after it is scanned - it picks up the information, puts it in files and then you get to select the folder where it is stored for future reports or export.

IT IS JUST AMAZING!! :lgjump:

That looks very cool. The bank I have my business account does something similar. I use the business debit card for all things related to business and the online part of my bank keeps it organized somehow. At the end of the year you just download it into your tax program. I don't really know how it works because my wife does all the paperwork around here. It's just so nice not having to keep all the receipts. You know how crazy that can get.

We're actually going to use this in the booth at Charleston to scan cards directly to the computer rather than collecting them (saves our contractor colleagues $$)

I have NOT tried to import stuff into QB yet. Still trying to get the file system set up so I can find what I need but I am having way to much fun playing with it :)

UPDATE!!!!!!

The way this interfaces with QuickBooks is BEYOND COOL!!! You select the receipts you want imported to QB - you map what you want it filed under...push the button and POOF, it's in your register :)

You get to select the receipts you want added so no worries about overlapping expenses. Gotta get back to playing with this :)

I am a happy woman!

Celeste:

We are newbie's in New Braunfels, TX and my wife is our business manager. I have forward this thread to her and know she will be thankful for the information. Thank you very much for sharing a great business time saver and easy way to follow up with business owners and possible customer leads.

rj adjemian

www.delicatetouchnbtx.com

We got one in January and use it for business as well as our household. It has cleaned up so much of our files. Just remember to keep backup on flash drive or external drive. What I like is that it enters all the information and sort it by date. If you want to file the receipts by date you just highlight and seperate to monthly files. What a time saver.

I am the type that when I am handed a receipt it getts cramed into my pocket until I get home and then try to pull it out. Question is, will this be able to take these crinkled up receipts, and read them properly??

Still lovin' it!

I'll be honest thought I'm glad I went buckwild on day one and scanned about 1000 receipts in. Whats neat is once you set the category for a certain vendor it remembers when the next one comes through and already fills it in. And for receipts that have logos up top instead of text that it can read, once you tell it the receipt is McDonalds or whatever, it remembers that too. You can even get it to recognize which credit card you used and have a unique name for that listed. Default it just says VISA but I have 4 of those so you have it read those last 4 digits and tell it which is which

post-2382-137772363155_thumb.jpg

Ok, I bit the bullet and ordered one. We'll see how I like it. I'm really familiar with that type of technology, since my last software job years ago was with a full text retrieval and document imaging company, that had web search engine software that originated from those roots. It looks like it will perform just as their base product did, which will make me very happy indeed.

Beth

Has anyone tried using the smaller version with a smart phone? Apparently you can send images from a phone to a PC or something......

Beth

That would be much more usefull. When I or others are out on a job buying fuel supplies ect it would be much easier to have them take a picture and send it to the program right away.  In the office I am fine with just putting things in with QB but if it was as easy as they say I would switch everything over to that system.

Edited by Alexy

Have had mine for years. It is the best piece of office equipment every. And the reports it can generate is great.