Sign in to follow this  
buckeyepw

100 year old interior brick wall acid wash?

Question

Have a customer asking about acid washing a interior brick wall in a warehouse, they most likey are turning into living space. Have no idea what to use. Was told soda or dry ice maybe. Any suggestions are appreciated as I have never done any of above. Thanks, Pat

18 answers to this question

If you can manage the wash water, and nothing is in the space, then you can wash the walls with acid. Why do they want it acid washed? Is there efflorecence? Mortar splash? Just grime? The type of dirt and substrate should dictate the cleaner. Let me know if I could help further.

The customer might not know how they want it cleaned, they just want it cleaned. Maybe they heard the term "Acid Wash" in the past and assume this is the only way to do it.

post-7011-137772361837_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple pics of an interior wall I acid-washed last year. The brick was over 100 years old and no pressure washers were used per insurance company. Some tuck pointing was needed, but was pre-existing to the brick cleaning. The brick has been sealed since these pics were taken and is the interior of a new hip restaurant in Louisville, KY.

post-7011-137772361848_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16664[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16663[/ATTACH]

Here are a couple pics of an interior wall I acid-washed last year. The brick was over 100 years old and no pressure washers were used per insurance company. Some tuck pointing was needed, but was pre-existing to the brick cleaning. The brick has been sealed since these pics were taken and is the interior of a new hip restaurant in Louisville, KY.

That's a pretty incredible job -- nicely done. :-) Do you have any pics with the restaurant bedecked? ;-)

That's a pretty incredible job -- nicely done. :-) Do you have any pics with the restaurant bedecked? ;-)

No. I havent gone back to eat at there. Next time I am in the area, I will stop by and take some pics. I think its a vegetarian restaurant, so it kinda fell off my radar.

Welcome to TGS. We are glad you are here. Please go to your "settings" tab and complete your signature line.

House rule. Again, .... welcome to TGS.

Sherwin williams actually sells the acid wash chems.

Locally, I can get better quality chems from a brick/block dealer. I think those walls were washed with a prosoco restore chem.

This is a project we did last week which we're just wrapping up right now.

The building was from 1920's and had close to 100 years of dirt and crud on all the bricks.

You can see the old color of the building on the left side and the restored area on the right.

hopewell1.jpg

This is the side of the building wet abrasive blasted... note how there is no dust and no water on the ground... very clean!

hopewell2.jpg

This is what this side of the building looked like all cleaned up

hopewell3.jpg

This is the back of the same building before we wet abrasive blasted it.. the area on the right is still being worked on by the masons.

hopewell4.jpg

This is what the back looked like all cleaned up

hopewell5.jpg

This black stuff was all over the building and pretty much is what had to be removed without damaging the bricks.

hopewell6.jpg

Again what the bricks looked like all cleaned up and ready for sealer.

hopewell7.jpg

Again the wet abrasive process in action... Note how there is very little water (Just enough to control dust) and how the ground stays dry.

Still the building cleaned up real nice even in 100º temp

Hey it's good to be green!:thumbsup:

HWGfrontbefore.jpg

This is the front of that building we've been working on for the last week or so.

HWGfrontafter.jpg

This is the front of that same building right after we restored it with our wet abrasive blasting process.

The history of the building is that it was originally constructed in the 1920s as a Chevrolet dealership in Hopewell New Jersey and operated as a Chevrolet dealership until General Motors shut them two years ago.

Anyway it's being repurposed as a Green Organic Farmers Market... and no chemicals were used in this restoration.

This is a project we did last week which we're just wrapping up right now.

The building was from 1920's and had close to 100 years of dirt and crud on all the bricks.

You can see the old color of the building on the left side and the restored area on the right.

hopewell1.jpg

This is the side of the building wet abrasive blasted... note how there is no dust and no water on the ground... very clean!

hopewell2.jpg

This is what this side of the building looked like all cleaned up

hopewell3.jpg

This is the back of the same building before we wet abrasive blasted it.. the area on the right is still being worked on by the masons.

hopewell4.jpg

This is what the back looked like all cleaned up

hopewell5.jpg

This black stuff was all over the building and pretty much is what had to be removed without damaging the bricks.

hopewell6.jpg

Again what the bricks looked like all cleaned up and ready for sealer.

hopewell7.jpg

Again the wet abrasive process in action... Note how there is very little water (Just enough to control dust) and how the ground stays dry.

Still the building cleaned up real nice even in 100º temp

Hey it's good to be green!:thumbsup:

Very nice work

Ron ********** text me 480-5225227 ???Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk