Sign in to follow this  
Hose Jockey

What's your "preferred" application method for Ready Seal?

What's your "preferred" method of Ready Seal application  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What's your "preferred" method of Ready Seal application

• Airless Sprayer
    • Pump-Up Sprayer
    • Roller
    • Brush
    • Lamb's Wool Applicator

Question

18 answers to this question

Airless sprayers typically do not let you get enough product on the surface. With Ready Seal it is more a "feeding the oil to the wood" than "laying it on". Larger dropplets are desirable which is why the low pressure/higher volume sprayers work best.

While we do not use Ready seal, we do use a blended oil (Armstrong Clark) and are also fans of the HVLP. Additionally, we back brush every inch. The brush will work in the product, and of course you can apply as much as you need to apply and work it into the substrate.

We have a couple of deckers that we use for other things these days, but not for sealing.

Beth

Okay, so is the Deckster a HVLP, or is it something different? I always thought an HVLP was the type the auto painting industry used with the paint can attached to the gun. So, I'm admittedly confused to hear about a 2.5 gallon pressure pot. Must not be a part of the gun like I'm used to seeing - I'm guessing.

I used my airless sprayer the other day and it seemed to atomize terribly. When I tried lowering the pressure it messed up the spray pattern of the tip. That's why I was contemplating another method.

Initially I was thinking airless or pump up to hit the tops of the pickets where they meet the top rail and cap to get it into all the difficult to reach nooks & crannies. Then either brush or lambswool the remainder of the pickets and bottom rail. Finishing up with pump up on the floor followed by either a pad or 9-inch lambs wool to rub it in. Sounds like I'm way off!!

HOW do I get the airless to perform better for me? What tip size is recommended for the railings & pickets and what size tip for the floor, steps, and stringers?? :lgbonk:

Heres a shot of the deckster at work. I dont know much about the technology of a true HVLP (the pressure pot ones that people talk about) but this is what I am referring to for our sprayer.

*edit....looking at it now I wish I could say it was still yellow haha!

post-2382-137772346418_thumb.jpg

Here's what I use...

Wagner Hvlp Conversion Gun w/ 2.5 gallon Pressure Pot - Pressure Paint Pots

I've used this setup for everything from painting latex paint on trim carpentry to spraying waterbased polyurethane on my new brazillian cherry floors. The lack of overspray means I only have to mask off a few inches from the surface I want to coat. When I did the floors, I just ran a strip of 2" painters tape around the baseboards and that's all I needed. When I use it for decks, the wind is usually blowing to some degree so I mask off a little more. But not much. This gun is also very good at getting into the little nooks and crannies as well as for the spindles. I set it to spray in a circular pattern for that kind of intricate work.

Is it difficult to refill the pot while working? Some decks we will use 10+ gallons and some fences that take 20 or 25 sometimes.

Nope. Just unhook the air supply, bleed the pressure, unscrew the lid bolts, pour in the stain, screw it back down, reconnect air and you're off. Takes about a minute or so...

In the deckster video it looked like there was quite a bit of overspray. Is that because it was water? Is there really that much overspray when using Ready Seal as well???? Seems like I would need to mask just as much as I have to when using my airless. If I'm wrong, please let me know. Thanks!!

With the pressure up, as would be when applying cleaners, you get speedy delivey and a harder spray. Since you can go from 50 to 200 PSI AND the cone nozzle can be adjusted, you can really dial in. It allows you to work from pump-up pressures and mists, to higher, motorized spray pressures, up to steady streams.

Edited by Tracy Handl
word change