Sign in to follow this  
bhenson

Pro's and Con's on using a PW on decks.

Question

Hey Everyone,

Hope your Sunday is going good. I recieved this email today for a potential client and was wondering what the pro's and con's were on using a PW on decks. I searched but couldnt find anything. Just want to make sure I have all the right info when I talk to him tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for all who reply,

Bryan

"Hi Bryan,

This is Gregory again. I would like to ask you if you are interested in discussing this project with me again. I already hired somebody to make all the repairs, but I'm not sure at this point if they will be able to prep the deck for restaining it the way it has to be done.

First of all, I heard that pressure washing necessary to strip the old paint may cause the damage of the wood and I would like to know what you think about it.

Second, is it possible to try pressure wash some area on the deck down to bare wood, as you suggested, just for the test purpuses ?

And third, if you are interested, can you give me 2 different bids: 1. on stripping and prepping the deck only without repairs and stain.

2. stripping, prepping and painting with MY Stain (which does not require a seal) but, again, without repairs."

11 answers to this question

New here...I don't want to state the obvious but...

Pros - Pressure washing a deck (wood or composite) is very efficient and will remove more of the dirt, moss & grime than scrubbing by hand. Depending on how bad the deck is you may or may not need to apply any chemicals.

Cons - It is possible that some parts of the deck may be rotten in which case too high of pressure could blow out parts of the deck. This can be avoided by a quick but thorough inspection to all parts of the deck including hand rail prior to washing. The only other con I can think of is that if you have no experience doing this it is possible to apply too much pressure directly into the surface at close range which will destroy the wood even if it is not rotten.

Hope this helps some.

-sam

Pros - Pressure washing a deck (wood or composite) is very efficient and will remove more of the dirt, moss & grime than scrubbing by hand. Depending on how bad the deck is you may or may not need to apply any chemicals.

This is either outdated thinking or just plain inexperience. All decks or wood for that matter should have some type of chemical or as we like to say "Cleaning Solution" on the wood before Power washing. A powerwasher is definitely a tool that is needed for decks. To use a garden hose with chemicals will just take to long but a Power washer with chemicals speeds up the process 10 fold and the cleaning itself is mostly done with the chemicals and the rinsing and rinsing again is done with the Powerwasher.

Well, for one thing, I would like to get clarification on what is actually on the deck.

Highlighted in red, the word 'paint' is used as the currently installed product.

This brings up a host of issues if this is actually the case.

If it is a solid stain then knowing what is the products basis (acrylic, latex, oil, alkyd etc) helps to determine the means necessary to remove it.

Rod!~

...Depending on how bad the deck is you may or may not need to apply any chemicals.

Hope this helps some.

-sam

Sam, like John mentioned, a pressure washer is for the most part nothing more than a rinsing tool on wood decks. The chemicals should be doing all the work for a proper restoration. I've never cleaned a deck with only a pressure washer....for it to have any affect you would need to use high pressure...a big no no.

Cons - . The only other con I can think of is that if you have no experience doing this it is possible to apply too much pressure directly into the surface at close range which will destroy the wood even if it is not rotten.

Hope this helps some.

-sam

Really? Wow I learn something new everyday, Id suggest reading a bit, before answering any questions, you obviously know nothing about.

Cons - It is possible that some parts of the deck may be rotten in which case too high of pressure could blow out parts of the deck. This can be avoided by a quick but thorough inspection to all parts of the deck including hand rail prior to washing. The only other con I can think of is that if you have no experience doing this it is possible to apply too much pressure directly into the surface at close range which will destroy the wood even if it is not rotten.

Hope this helps some.

-sam

Don't listen to this advice. Pressure only is NEVER EVER the answer to cleaning wood. No exceptions.

Beth

Beth,

Looks and sounds as if you'll soon need to start checking out backgrounds of 'Newbie' ppl, like these. With inexperience, any wrong or bad advice either given or taken from the board, may come back to haunt you.

samanddallas

Pros - Pressure washing a deck (wood or composite) is very efficient and will remove more of the dirt, moss & grime than scrubbing by hand.

Depending on how bad the deck is you may or may not need to apply any chemicals.

Edited by mrwindow

Nah, this only comes back to haunt the poster.

Obviously, this person has only a perspective of his own experience and deemed it to be correct when in fact it demonstrates that they have done little to expand their knowledge and feel comfortable with what they produce.

We agree that this persons knowledge is incomplete but we do not need to "pre-qualify" any new members here to post what I will call their 'Opinions' on how to ... whatever.

Those with better experience and/or training/education will clear the fog and expose the incorrect information and provide the best information that is more widely accepted in this industry.

Rod!~