Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Be careful who you hire!

This note is to home owners who think that the lowest price, the fastest availability and the prices for wood care given over the phone are the way to go. These photos represent a company operating in our area illegally, that matches the above criteria. Sadly the photos are typical of the work, and we repair this type of damage on a regular basis every year. This deck was washed and sealed the same day.....if you want to call it that.

Ask to see a copy of the license. Ask to see a copy of the liability insurance. Check the Better Business Bureau rating. Don't get burned.

Beth

p.s. let us know if we can help....

post-1-137772346898_thumb.png

post-1-137772346904_thumb.png

We see this a lot too!!! Bad for Homeowners, Great for our Business!!! Unfortunately Homeowners have what I call "The Wal-Mart Mentality" low prices all the time. There's a time and place to save, and then there's a time and a place to spend. I preach this to the Homeowner all the time. Some get it some don't, some call back with stories like this one.

Is it bad for our Industry's Image...Yes. But we improve that image by doing the job right. Educate first, then sell. We've talked a lot of Homeowners out of this same mistake through education.

Great Post!!!!

A license cost 25 bucks here. Liablity insurance for a one man show runs about 400 bucks a year. Insurance and license will not prevent that kind of work. I price everything over the phone, and I don't do work like that. The BBB is a scam outfit. They were just exposed here in Raleigh for deceptive practices. Most savvy homeowners know they are fraud. So, what is the answer to the problem. There isn't one. Some people do bad work. That's it. You getr a bad plumber or mechanic sometimes. Luck of the draw. Be glad it wasn't your house and move on. Life is to short to worry about what other companies are doing.

A license cost 25 bucks here. Liablity insurance for a one man show runs about 400 bucks a year. Insurance and license will not prevent that kind of work. I price everything over the phone, and I don't do work like that. The BBB is a scam outfit. They were just exposed here in Raleigh for deceptive practices. Most savvy homeowners know they are fraud. So, what is the answer to the problem. There isn't one. Some people do bad work. That's it. You getr a bad plumber or mechanic sometimes. Luck of the draw. Be glad it wasn't your house and move on. Life is to short to worry about what other companies are doing.

A business license doesnt mean much, I believe Beth is talking about a state contractors license, which requires testing etc. That's pretty cheap liability ins. even for a one man show. For the record, Not All BBB offices apply deceptive practices. As said, there are just people who do bad work, just not that bad.

The BBB is just like any other business, a FOR PROFIT corporation. My only problem with the BBB is how they seem to make the general public think they are some sort of Government Agency, like a Consumer Affairs Department.

The BBB is just like any other business, a FOR PROFIT corporation. My only problem with the BBB is how they seem to make the general public think they are some sort of Government Agency, like a Consumer Affairs Department.

It has been repeatedly shown that at the "Better Business Bureau" good grades can be bought and paid for.

http://bbbroundup.com/LeadStory.html is just one example of many, many many.

Oh, boy. I have a ton of these pics. let's see what I can dig up.

Consumers should also be aware that most licensed, reputable companies will have an additional fee to "fix" another persons previous attempts.

Here are a few pics that I have taken of "how not to do it".

Pressure washer used on asphalt shingles..

I love seeing those scribble scratch jobs.

1st their using high pressure, but secondly, their just getting up there and shaking the wand around.

That's just pure laziness