Sign in to follow this  

Question

Hello TGS'ers, i have a situation where a boom truck had leaked hydraulic fluid and motor oil on cobblestone. I will be cleaning the entire perimeter of the cobblestone, this includes the affected and unaffected areas so I don't run into discoloration if i were to only remove the affected areas. I will be using Hot Water.

My question is, what is the best cleaner/degreaser/detergent i should use on a situation like this, and where would i be able to purchase this product?

Any help and tips are much appreciated! Thank You!

11 answers to this question

Yes I do sell it, but I don't sell it to Pressure Washer Contractors. If he contacts me I'll hook him up with the manufacture so he can buy directly from them at cost. Certainly not trying to break any rules here. Just tryingto help him out.

Muriatic acid should work or and is always great for any stone or masonry surface. If this doesn't work you could try Prosoco 600 Detergent or Prosoco Heavy Duty Paint Stripper both should be safe on the cobblestone. I'd love to hear what you used and how it turns out.

Are these actual cobblestones or pavers? (Cobblestones are stone and pavers are concrete.) Assuming they are pavers, the best - and fastest - solution is kitty litter. Buy some of the cheap stuff (oil dry will work) and spread it over the spot(s). (Again, I'm assuming the oils have penetrated and there is nothing on the surface.) Grind the kitty litter into the paver with your boot until it is the consistency of talcum powder. Let it sit for a few minutes, then sweep-up. Repeat if needed, leave overnight if really stubborn.

The idea is that the clay in the litter, when crushed, will pull oil from the pores of the paver. I have used this technique successfully for over 30 years, so it should work for you. P.S. This becomes rather tedious if the area in question is large, but it will still work, it just takes longer. Tip: I carry a 5 lb bag in my vehicle - just in case I drip something oily.

I would avoid muriatic acid, it will literally eat the concrete and if it is pavers, it will change the surface and texture. If it was me, I would go the kitty litter route, and sort of grind it in so that it can get into the pores of the pavers. If it is cobblestone, and John had the correct description, I would just pour it on, because they are a lot harder then pavers.

I do apologize for the late reply. Thank you for all the help guys! The cat litter worked it's magic, furthermore, i went over the whole area with a high grade degreaser, the customer was happy to get those stains out. Thanks again!

I have done many roofs and building exteriors, if you guys have any questions in this area (chemicals, nozzles, etc.) please feel free to ask, i will do my best to reply within a day or two. Merry Christmas!