Sign in to follow this  
Oxfordlawn

White Ox rust stain remover--what is it?

Question

I purchased some White Ox rust stain remover to try it out, and it seems to work well for what I needed. Some of the houses I was washing had sprinkler water stains on them and some other unknown stains and I am easily able to remove them by spraying the White Ox, hitting with a brush and then rinsing immediately. Anyways, I am just about out of the White Ox, it was pretty pricey and am wondering if anyone knows if its just Oxalic acid being sold under a different name. I tried to find a MSDS sheet for the White Ox but couldn't. Anyone know ???

Edited by Oxfordlawn

9 answers to this question

Pharmco Labs makes it..I have seen it mentioned here on these forums before but I feel it just a rebranded box of Oxalic or something else. Thought this would be a quick one but any help would be great. It works well and I would buy more if necessary but I am trying to watch my monies spent on chemicals, and this one isn't the cheapest. The website for the product follows and I hope this isn't against some rules.

White Ox - Well Water Rust Remover

White OX is NOT just Oxalic acid. I looked at the stuff in the past and with the info sent to me from the manufacture, learned it was a bit different than just Oxalic acid. It has a different blend of acids. I don't remember just what they were now, but I assure you it is different. Oxalixc acid works for rust removal. Keep in mind, manufactures develope products for a varied amout of reasons. SOMETIMES it's just to be different for marketing and product reasons. Sometimes they really do build a better mouse trap. Sometimes they do blends for buffering reasons; to make the product less/more aggressive; to get different action. I see too much on these boards about how a product is just too expensive and that the same can be accomplished with a "less expensive" way. While maybe true - use of a product is usally for a specific purpose to get specific results.

Envirospec used to sell it but stopped carrying it about a year ago, it is different than regular Oxalic in its blend. Like Russ and Tracy suggested I would go with the Oxalic it should do the job for you just fine but the dwell time may be a bit longer or you will need to mix it a bit stronger.

White OX is NOT just Oxalic acid.....It has a different blend of acids.....

Thanks for the replies. Thats the exact info I was looking for.

I see too much on these boards about how a product is just too expensive and that the same can be accomplished with a "less expensive" way.

Which is why I have learned to ask on these boards. Thousands of years of combined knowledge...someone always has the answers that get the job done right, in a cost effective and safe manner.

Thank you:beerchug:

I realize this is 9yr old thread but, in a general sense, chemical composition and first aid needs to known prior to using any chemical. After injury it is often to late.

White Ox is extremely caustic.

Composition: Oxalic Acid, Ammonium Fluoride, and Hydrogen Fluoride

If you wish to find the ingredients used in any product just search the commercial name + MSDS.

https://white-ox.com/xcart/WHITE-OX Rust Remover Liquid 32oz SDS.pdf