Sign in to follow this  
gbran

Could this be a possible fix for oxidized vinyl?

Question

Some of you may have tried this and posted about it, but I don’t have time to look right now. I’ve battled cleaning oxidized vinyl several times this summer, so I’ve looked for cleaning products and methods about it on here, and other boards with no definite answers. This past week I did some rental property for my parents and one house has 15yr old vinyl siding, which is a clay/tan color (originally). Over the years it has increasingly got worse with a white haze of oxidation. So, I mixed some F-13 4:1 in a pump up and applied it to small sections, rinsed, then applied standard SC house wash and rinsed again. Went back the next day after it was dry and what a difference! ALL the oxidation was gone and the vinyl had its original color with a nice sheen to it. I plan to do the whole house (and try different ratios) when I have time and I’ll post pics then.

Last year I purchased Vinyl Renu for my own house and I’m completely satisfied with it, but trying to up sale that product is difficult since it’s so expensive. So, I’m thinking if this works, and I can build a designated pump/sprayer for method of delivery, I may offer this as a vinyl restoration up sale, but I have some concerns about F-13 at that strength around plants, windows, light fixtures and what not.

Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

22 answers to this question

It's easy to get a small section looking good but I would be concerned about a consistent look on a whole wall. If some spots come cleaner than others it's going to look like hell.

Give Cleansol from Eacochem a try. Works darn good one oxidized vinyl. Have to bump pressure up a bit but not so far that it will hurt anything.

I've used Cleansol on oxidized painted metal for a commercial building, and applied it with a designated sprayer - then rinsed. Worked very well and never touched it with a brush. After talking with Bob at PT he said F-13 would do the same thing. When I conducted this experiment with the vinyl I had some Cleansol left over that was diluted 5:1, but it had been sitting around since May. The Cleansol didn't work as well, but it might if it had been fresh. I still need/want to go back and do the whole house, just haven't had the time plus it's been rather windy here in VA. As soon as I get the chance I'll post some before and after pics.

The thing I hate about brushing is you can't tell if you missed a spot until the surface has dried.

F 13 is potassium hydroxide , Clensol has sodium hydroxide in it. You can add either PH/SH to boost the power of your house wash to combat oxidation . Agitation always helps (brushing). Acid will eliminate oxidation also. This works better after the mold and dirt is gone.Acid will actually zap off the oxidation before your eyes like magic but this takes much practice.

Do some reading on your chemicals and what they do.

From my experience after doing several oxidation removal projects - I think once you perform a restoration, the surface is much much smoother and that smoothness actually deters regrowth for mildew. This is based upon several homes I did, one being huge oak trees completely covering the north side of a home. Usually there would be strong mildew and algae growth within a year's time - as the 'north' side doesn't need any close proximity of trees to have violent regrowth. But add in a grove of trees completely surrounding the home on the North side with braches resting/covering the roof as well - and you have a disaster of mildew regrowth.

This one home I observed had very negligible regrowth even after 4 years time. So I suspect the relatively slippery surface of vinyl after all oxidation has removed deters atmospheric pollutants from sticking to it which is first step of mildew regrowth. I washed a friends truck completely that had mildew growth on 3 months later - it had a very porous oxidized paint surface.

And lastly how many times have you heard homeowners say for the first 12 or so years the home never had mildew growth? I suspect the mildew starts to appear after appreciable oxidation buildup, which is probably the amount of time customers say before they started seeing the stuff.

So let me ask you this, if oxidation 'grabs' onto atmospheric pollutants faster which promotes mildew growth - why would you promote a service that will inevitably greatly reduce repeat work? At the very least - if a house will go 4X longer before noticeable regrowth, you should charge 4X as much.

Hey James, I'm in your town tonight. Actually I'm typing this from the Holiday Inn in Waterbury. We've been telling the little one we'd take him to the indoor waterpark Coco Key. Patrick was having a great time until some kid puked on the waterslide So now we had to get changed and it's off to the arcade. Can't wait, hundreds of little kids screaming and running around in circles. Maybe Polina will take him and I can stay here and rest.

My son was there the 19 for his B-day. Get a Blackies Hotdog before U go back. Great Homemade Relish ! Take a right out front mile on left.

Good advice, we loved it.