Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

big deck, cheap bid

Question

Here is a deck I bid on in November. I could tell as soon as I started talking to HOs that It might not go well. He had a handy man flipping boards and was on his 2nd handyman. He stated that he wanted to use his stain, Cant remember name but was water based stain. In fact he had gone so far as pre applying stain the rail replacements, but applied before cutting ends. So- I gave my pitch, measured gave them a price for clean and prep only and for the full resto job.

Here are some pics. What you dont see is that the 1st and second floor decks cover 2 sides of the house and the second floor is screened in and explained they would have to be removed. third floor is strictly railings

Total measurement is just over 7000 sf.

Care to guess what the winning contractor's bid? What would you guys bid on this, clean and prep only and clean and seal?

post-4622-137772364024_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah. House just purchased for $750K

post-4622-137772364003_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chappy

16 answers to this question

Clean & prep $3850.

Clean, prep & seal $7700.

New screens? $1000.

How do you know the # you came up with?? 3850 and 7700 wow why not 4000 and 8000 do you know something I do not??

Lyle your close to my bid. I was just over $10K for the whole thing.

There getting it done for 1/3rd my price.

Like I said, I had a feeling that It wouldnt go as soon as husband said "Ive done my google research." and then showed me the "best" product for decks. Some water based stuff Ive never heard of before. Just his job on applying stain on un prepped rails was enough to tell me everything I needed to know that I was wasting my time.

How do you know the # you came up with?? 3850 and 7700 wow why not 4000 and 8000 do you know something I do not??

I was basing it on a sq. ft price based on the 7000sq. ft. that he supplied.

Before I even attempt to quote or do a test spot on a job like that I ask how much the budget is and did they have any idea of the the future up keep. Most are clueless.

[Rod posting]

Yikes, that looks like a time consumer to me.

$3300?!?!?

With all the screens and the possibility of them being damaged by the wash process alone, Whoever bid this and won is going to hate themselves afterwords.

Rod!~

Before I even attempt to quote or do a test spot on a job like that I ask how much the budget is and did they have any idea of the the future up keep. Most are clueless.

Exactly. Well said.