Sign in to follow this  
Jim Gamble

We Are THINKING about building a Toy Hauler for our larger equipment

I am wondering if any guys out there have information where to buy accessories for the Toy Hauler industry.

I also would like anyones thoughts on the designing and / or add-ons for this type of trailer.

We are thinking on BUILDING a 20,000 lbs GVW "TOY" type trailer. It will have 8 inch I beam frame with 4 inch " C " channel cross members every 10 inches. The (2) Steel Ramp Door entries, one on the side the other in the back, will have a 10,000 lbs rating and will be powered up and down with a flick of a switch. All uprights will be powder coated to prevent rust. No wood / Plywood will be used. Flooring will be in Diamond Plate 1/4 inch steel with 7,000 lbs SS "D" rings inset into the flooring every 2 feet to hold equipment.

The length will be at least 24 ft. long not counting the goose neck and a inside height of 9 ft with a lowered suspension. The tires will be the 16 PLY Steel Belted. Rims will be 1/2 inch thick steel rims powder coated. Wheel size will be the standard 17.5 inch rims. The unit will have insulation and a 10,000 watt generator with sleeping quarters.

We currently have 2 motorized units for Garage Cleaning that are very heavy and may build another one this year. Each unit is about the size of a sub compact car. This trailer will house those units to and from the job site. The Living quarters will be for sleeping/ resting on the site. We are thinking of a small buffet style kitchen, though it is unlikely.

Any thoughts ?

Jim Gamble

Crystal Cleaning Company LLC

Serving California, Oregon and Washington

www.GarageCleaning.net

510-612-0437

That would be a heavy trailer Jim, putting the rubber ride axles on there too? What about the color, Crystal Cleaning Company "Yellow"

You know It.

From our experience in building our trailers from scratch, we find that the rubber ride axles with the oil bath and the forward movement over-sized self adjusting brakes feature provides the best handling and performance of any axle on the market.

Why don't you just buy one haulmark, renegade makes some real nice totor homes and trailers. They are purpose built for racing, so just order one that is gutted so you can put your equipment in it. http://www.renegadedirect.com/index.html

There is another manufacture on the West Coast as well. We are looking into this as well. However, from our experience, we find it is usually cheaper to custom build our trailers. With this economy being what it is, that may of changed.

Thanks for the recommendation !

I understand your desire to over build your trailer, but what you are describing is going to weigh close to 12,000 lbs. Add in the interior, and it will be even heavier. You might want to rethink your specs, or what kind of truck tows it.

I understand your desire to over build your trailer, but what you are describing is going to weigh close to 12,000 lbs. Add in the interior, and it will be even heavier. You might want to rethink your specs, or what kind of truck tows it.

As you may already now Scott, our diesels have been upgraded. I think I wrote a thread on it last year.

In case I did not post it here on TGS, this is what we did so far....

Our trucks are upgraded from suspension to 5 inch SS exhaust to the HP to the 50lbs Boost of the Turbos to the Jake brakes to even the new larger braking system. Frame has been " Computer Stressed tested " and re enforced where as needed. All of our trucks are over 450 HP with 673 LBS of torque ( Dyno tested ). One has almost 600 HP. The trucks have double clutches installed as well as the new 6 speed tranys. We spent over 10k per truck for the upgrades.

We are however looking at (2) Semi with trailers to haul our current trailers and trucks up and down the coast. Again, ONLY looking. Not sure to buy or to contract out. MAY contract out.

This way our crews can fly to the location, thus not get so tired from all of the driving from a city to the next. They will be fresh and ready to go with the 20 hr per day cleanings. Plus our equipment will not have so many miles on them as well.

You know with me, I must justify the expense before I buy. AGAIN THIS IS ONLY ON THE DRAWING BOARDS and will NOT happen any time soon.

This trailer design, thanks to computer engineering, will not weigh in at 12k, but allot less.

Thanks for your input Scott.

How about a bathroom?

Garages always are next to a building that has a Bathroom. Some Garages have bathrooms in them as well. We always make arrangements in our contracts to have access to these facilities.

Good thought !

Jim I would just use a prevost bus, this way you could be comfortable when crews are cleaning. LOL

You know, I did think about a used one last year at the RV Show..... a GREAT tax write off according to my CPA. My Wife however, said ..... NO :lgtear:. LOL

You should get one Ron. :lghohoho: You can afford it.

Our trucks are upgraded from suspension to 5 inch SS exhaust to the HP to the 50lbs Boost of the Turbos to the Jake brakes to even the new larger braking system. Frame has been " Computer Stressed tested " and re enforced where as needed. All of our trucks are over 450 HP with 673 LBS of torque ( Dyno tested ). One has almost 600 HP. The trucks have double clutches installed as well as the new 6 speed tranys. We spent over 10k per truck for the upgrades.

Hope it was worth it. As all the new carb, and smog laws here in Calif. Not sure if you are talking pick up, if you are they wont pass the new smog laws, You cant do anything or add anything that the dealer didnt offer as a up grade when new. You will fail and have to remove everything you added. If you are talking big trucks over 14500 lbs chassi, you are going to have problems there aswell, and depending on year you will have to add PM filters to some and others already need 2010 model year engines put into them. California is looking to screw everybody that they can. If you need the web address to see all the carb info on bigger trucks I can send it to you. Also I forgot to say that aux engines have a major clean up in affect also. You cant just build what you want and run it like you could before. All aux engines above 40 hp have to be tier 3 as of now and i forget the date will have to be tier 4. You must also regester the engines and get a green stick to place one the equipment to be legal, or face fines.

Hope it was worth it. As all the new carb, and smog laws here in Calif. Not sure if you are talking pick up, if you are they wont pass the new smog laws, You cant do anything or add anything that the dealer didnt offer as a up grade when new. You will fail and have to remove everything you added. If you are talking big trucks over 14500 lbs chassi, you are going to have problems there aswell, and depending on year you will have to add PM filters to some and others already need 2010 model year engines put into them. California is looking to screw everybody that they can. If you need the web address to see all the carb info on bigger trucks I can send it to you. Also I forgot to say that aux engines have a major clean up in affect also. You cant just build what you want and run it like you could before. All aux engines above 40 hp have to be tier 3 as of now and i forget the date will have to be tier 4. You must also regester the engines and get a green stick to place one the equipment to be legal, or face fines.

Got pics of the trucks Ed, sounds sweet!!,

Jim always mentions about the rigidity of the emission laws in Ca . I think that is one of the reasons why he upgrade his pressure washing power plant a few years ago because he knew of some upcoming laws that would have meant additional investment for a leaner emissions motor.

NO NO NO, not my trucks. Copyed what Jim had wrote about his trucks. And was letting him know if he has really done all this to his trucks, how screwed he is. Forgot the quotes

NO NO NO, not my trucks. Copyed what Jim had wrote about his trucks. And was letting him know if he has really done all this to his trucks, how screwed he is. Forgot the quotes

LOL I guess I did not read Jim's post in its entirety, my error.

Your right about the new smog laws. As of January, we did past all smog tests and requirements. The 12 valve had to be de tuned to 350 or so HP. The other trucks passed. One of the reason why it was so expensive to up grade is because no " Black smog" can be seen when they floor the throttle after 3 seconds. Out 12 valve needed a double catalytic converter plus de-tune it just a bit. Bummer. All upgrades was bought only after the State approved them on there CA.Gov approved smog options list.This is another reason why we waited so long to upgrade the trucks. As many know our newer trucks cannot fit in some garages. Thats why we keep the 1999 & 98 black Dodges. Not only are they paid for, not only do they have low mileage ( 58,000 & 72,000 miles ) but the can fit in any garage that we clean and now, have more HP and Torque then any new truck on the market.Now that we found away to get our equipment from coast to coast....including Hawaii, we are now looking into building our equipment for this expansion. We will have a minimum contract pricing for us to arrive in another state, but so far, it appears not to be a problem.

We have passed all of the Smog requirements for our trucks in Jan. 2011. One of the reasons why our parts were so expensive was because they all meet Ca smog reg for the next 10 or so years.

I did check with that BEFORE purchasing any part, no matter how good the price was. If you can't use it, it is worthless.

We are looking forward to our newest drivable rig. Tonight is the test. I may post some photos..... I will may also have to re-think about posting photo's of the unit since .....

Hope it was worth it. As all the new carb, and smog laws here in Calif. Not sure if you are talking pick up, if you are they wont pass the new smog laws, You cant do anything or add anything that the dealer didn't offer as a up grade when new. You will fail and have to remove everything you added. If you are talking big trucks over 14500 lbs chassi, you are going to have problems there as well, and depending on year you will have to add PM filters to some and others already need 2010 model year engines put into them. California is looking to screw everybody that they can. If you need the web address to see all the carb info on bigger trucks I can send it to you. Also I forgot to say that aux engines have a major clean up in affect also. You cant just build what you want and run it like you could before. All aux engines above 40 hp have to be tier 3 as of now and i forget the date will have to be tier 4. You must also register the engines and get a green stick to place one the equipment to be legal, or face fines.

Ed, you are sooooo right about the smog. However, we did past. We also was concern about the high performance products and only bought performance upgrades that meet strict CA diesel Smog laws.

As far as our diesels on our rigs, we was in contact with the State. It is not cut and dry as one may think. There are plenty of " Loop Holes" in the system. One being a Diesel Mobile Unit permanently built on a trailer, not stationary for more then 7 days or X amount of hours in a single location. However, I still called. Confirmed... got name of supervisor/ manager and operator number with the direct telephone line.

I want you to know, that anyone who knows me, understands I do my research before I buy or build.

Again, Thanks for the information. Allot of users may not know or understand what it is to be a successful business in California.

Again, good post !!!

We have passed all of the Smog requirements for our trucks in Jan. 2011. One of the reasons why our parts were so expensive was because they all meet Ca smog reg for the next 10 or so years.

I did check with that BEFORE purchasing any part, no matter how good the price was. If you can't use it, it is worthless.

We are looking forward to our newest drivable rig. Tonight is the test. I may post some photos..... I will may also have to re-think about posting photo's of the unit since .....

Jim,

Out of curiousity how do you get a guarantee that you will meet any future Smog Reg? Thats interesting to me as things change yearly. Almost sounds like you are flashing cash to someone. Otherwise I would think that you are just kidding about being able to meet requirements for the next 10 years.

On another note, good luck with the jake brakes. They are not allowed in alot of towns anymore. Signs are posted quite often noting that no jake brakes are allowed. Did you get something saying you can drive them anyhow or are they just not that worried about noise in CA?

Ed, you are sooooo right about the smog. However, we did past. We also was concern about the high performance products and only bought performance upgrades that meet strict CA diesel Smog laws.

As far as our diesels on our rigs, we was in contact with the State. It is not cut and dry as one may think. There are plenty of " Loop Holes" in the system. One being a Diesel Mobile Unit permanently built on a trailer, not stationary for more then 7 days or X amount of hours in a single location. However, I still called. Confirmed... got name of supervisor/ manager and operator number with the direct telephone line.

I want you to know, that anyone who knows me, understands I do my research before I buy or build.

Again, Thanks for the information. Allot of users may not know or understand what it is to be a successful business in California.

Again, good post !!!

Well to start, Im going to think that we are talking about trucks that are below 14,500 lbs. There is NO WAY that you passed a smog check, unless you know a smog person and he let you by when he shouldnt! Dosent matter what you bought, If the selling dealer didnt offer it as a extra from the FACTORY it isnt legal in calif. We were able to put chips in that used to be sold that stated they were legal in all 50 states. Not anymore, calif dosent allow them. You could go anywhere and add 5 inch exhaust and it was ok, not anymore. Calif says no. You could go and add jake brakes, which I think is ok, but calif says no more. Again if it wasnt a factory option it isnt allowed period. You stated that, "one of the reasons why our parts were so expensive was because they meet all Ca smog reg for the next 10 or so years" First stop trying to make yourself so big and bad about how much money you spent, we couldnt care less. Second, I sure hope that you got that in writing from whoever you bought the parts from as they now owe you a refund, but I dont think you are going to get it. Alot of thing that we sold were legal at on point in calif, but that has changed, there not legal anymore.

Now going with they are above 14500lb trucks. I have a 2001 truck that is completlely stock, bought by me new in CA. Guess what, I have to add a PM filter to it soon as it wont pass new CA smog laws. Once I do that it buys me a couple of years, and then, guess what, It wont pass CA smog laws again. Unless I change the motor out to a 2010 model year engine or newer. So I have to spend apx. on this truck $8000 for a PM filter then what 15,000 on a new motor, but wait, I will also have to buy wiring harness and computer crap to even be able to put it in. I also have a 2007 truck that again I bought new in CA. Guess what, I have to install a PM filter to it in 2014, or it wont pass CA smog laws, For that truck IM told it will be over 12,000 for that filter. CA has screwed us all big time, we cant go back to the dealers as they were made to pass smog then not now. not fair to us, you, or anybody, I agree that if CA wants new smog laws, fine , add new laws, but we should be grand fathered in with what was legal before the new law. So if they want new laws, they start with that date and go forward with that year on, not go back. And now being a smart ass and doing what I told you , you shouldnt do, They first truck cost me 90,000 and the second truck cost me almost 200,000. I havent even got to my other trucks and what they cost me. It dosent really matter what you paid, CA says cant have it anymore, you have to change it, they dont care what it costs or dosent cost, or whoever it might put out of business as they cant afford to do it.

Now to get to your Aux engines, Yes there are some loop holes to buy you some time, depending on what you have right now, how old they are depends on what loop holes you are able to use now. Depending on that you can use them for so many hours but it is a total number of hours per year not location. I forget right at this moment but it can be as low as 100 hours per year that you can run it , if it is a tier 0, as you move up in tiers, it goes up a bit for each one. If it is mounted on a trailer or if it is a second engine mounted on a truck to run other equipment, You still have to reg. it with Sacramento and show proof that all mods have been changed to pass smog. Once you do this and only when you do this they will give you a green sticker to mount on the trailer and or truck to show it is ok. If you get caught and you will, you can be givin a ticket and fined big time. Again CA is screwing everybody.

And dont think that if you reg it in another state that will get you by. It wont, If that truck or equipment is in CA, it has to pass all smog laws to be here and operate. And if you get pulled over in your 14500lb truck and your stuff isnt smog legal at that time, you will be givin a ticket, and no you wont be able to drive it away either. It will be towed either to a repair shop or out of state. You will not be able to just continue doing what you want. Alot of companys have left CA and will not come into CA anymore because of all of this.

Lastly, I want to be the fly on the wall, when you get stopped and try to tell the cop and or the dmv that so in so told me it was ok. Not going to happen, they will laugh in your face and ask you one thing! Do you have it in writting? Thats right your answer will be NO. Bottom line , your trucks, your equipment engines will have to be up to CA smog laws for that model year period. Or it wont be able to use in CA.

Jim,

Out of curiousity how do you get a guarantee that you will meet any future Smog Reg? Thats interesting to me as things change yearly. Almost sounds like you are flashing cash to someone. Otherwise I would think that you are just kidding about being able to meet requirements for the next 10 years.

On another note, good luck with the Jake brakes. They are not allowed in allot of towns anymore. Signs are posted quite often noting that no Jake brakes are allowed. Did you get something saying you can drive them anyhow or are they just not that worried about noise in CA?

Ya your right, i am kidding about the 10 year mark. But I do not think it's to off since it has been so many years since Cali has done anything to Diesel's for smog.

Your other concern is the Jake Brakes. You are CORRECT in saying that Jake brakes are not allowed in some areas of a city. Though the more expensive ones take this into consideration to " Muffle" the noise, it is still louder then trucks that do not have them. For example, all 2007 or newer Dodge diesel trucks have Jake Brakes standard on them. They have came alone way from 10 years ago.

However, I do have the capabilities to turning the Jake brake system off at the stick shift with a flick of a button.

Jim,

Ok so you were kidding about the 10 yr mark. This is just what you think not the truth. Remember someone on here might actually believe your words.

As for jake brakes, good luck with them. I will tell you whether you have a "batman" switch and can convert your whole rig into a volkswagon or not if you get stopped and have them (per lets say a DOT inspection) you will get fined no matter what. You can muffle the noise or not I dont think they are going to care.

Well to start, Im going to think that we are talking about trucks that are below 14,500 lbs. There is NO WAY that you passed a smog check, unless you know a smog person and he let you by when he shouldnt! Dosent matter what you bought, If the selling dealer didnt offer it as a extra from the FACTORY it isnt legal in calif. We were able to put chips in that used to be sold that stated they were legal in all 50 states. Not anymore, calif dosent allow them. You could go anywhere and add 5 inch exhaust and it was ok, not anymore. Calif says no. You could go and add jake brakes, which I think is ok, but calif says no more. Again if it wasnt a factory option it isnt allowed period. You stated that, "one of the reasons why our parts were so expensive was because they meet all Ca smog reg for the next 10 or so years" First stop trying to make yourself so big and bad about how much money you spent, we couldnt care less. Second, I sure hope that you got that in writing from whoever you bought the parts from as they now owe you a refund, but I dont think you are going to get it. Alot of thing that we sold were legal at on point in calif, but that has changed, there not legal anymore.

Now going with they are above 14500lb trucks. I have a 2001 truck that is completlely stock, bought by me new in CA. Guess what, I have to add a PM filter to it soon as it wont pass new CA smog laws. Once I do that it buys me a couple of years, and then, guess what, It wont pass CA smog laws again. Unless I change the motor out to a 2010 model year engine or newer. So I have to spend apx. on this truck $8000 for a PM filter then what 15,000 on a new motor, but wait, I will also have to buy wiring harness and computer crap to even be able to put it in. I also have a 2007 truck that again I bought new in CA. Guess what, I have to install a PM filter to it in 2014, or it wont pass CA smog laws, For that truck IM told it will be over 12,000 for that filter. CA has screwed us all big time, we cant go back to the dealers as they were made to pass smog then not now. not fair to us, you, or anybody, I agree that if CA wants new smog laws, fine , add new laws, but we should be grand fathered in with what was legal before the new law. So if they want new laws, they start with that date and go forward with that year on, not go back. And now being a smart ass and doing what I told you , you shouldnt do, They first truck cost me 90,000 and the second truck cost me almost 200,000. I havent even got to my other trucks and what they cost me. It dosent really matter what you paid, CA says cant have it anymore, you have to change it, they dont care what it costs or dosent cost, or whoever it might put out of business as they cant afford to do it.

Now to get to your Aux engines, Yes there are some loop holes to buy you some time, depending on what you have right now, how old they are depends on what loop holes you are able to use now. Depending on that you can use them for so many hours but it is a total number of hours per year not location. I forget right at this moment but it can be as low as 100 hours per year that you can run it , if it is a tier 0, as you move up in tiers, it goes up a bit for each one. If it is mounted on a trailer or if it is a second engine mounted on a truck to run other equipment, You still have to reg. it with Sacramento and show proof that all mods have been changed to pass smog. Once you do this and only when you do this they will give you a green sticker to mount on the trailer and or truck to show it is ok. If you get caught and you will, you can be givin a ticket and fined big time. Again CA is screwing everybody.

And dont think that if you reg it in another state that will get you by. It wont, If that truck or equipment is in CA, it has to pass all smog laws to be here and operate. And if you get pulled over in your 14500lb truck and your stuff isnt smog legal at that time, you will be givin a ticket, and no you wont be able to drive it away either. It will be towed either to a repair shop or out of state. You will not be able to just continue doing what you want. Alot of companys have left CA and will not come into CA anymore because of all of this.

Lastly, I want to be the fly on the wall, when you get stopped and try to tell the cop and or the dmv that so in so told me it was ok. Not going to happen, they will laugh in your face and ask you one thing! Do you have it in writting? Thats right your answer will be NO. Bottom line , your trucks, your equipment engines will have to be up to CA smog laws for that model year period. Or it wont be able to use in CA.

Sounds to me that you are having issues with your trucks and / or your mechanic shop is not well informed about the loop wholes in the laws. To bad.

You need to go to CA. GOV to look at the pending exceptions. Yes it is long and boring and will take a few hours to find, but they are there. All of my performance products have been approved or in pending status. These pending status can last up to 10 years from going through the CA courts. By that time, I will be buying a new fleet of dodges. By the way, Jake brakes have NOTHING to do with smog according to CA Smog. Most higher priced ones are approved for smog.

By the way, I resent your thought of me buying my way out. I went to two different smog places for our trucks. Reason, had a sale. ALL passed except one. Our 1998 12 valve which is the baby of our fleet. Has only 450 hp. Our injector pump had to be adjusted because at idle, when they floor the motor, Black smoke was seen for longer then 3 seconds. I think it was for 5 seconds. We had to detune the pump from 500 hp to 440-450.Replace the catalytic converter to a more efficient one that was approved for replacement for our model truck and now the black smoke is only visible for just under 2 seconds.

May I suggest that you go to a reputable performance shop for Diesel's.

Dodge Cummings are the easiest to modify to Ca Smog specs since most are complaint without any or limited smog equipment. Unlike the Fords or the Chevy's/ GMC or Isuzu.

Again, I am sorry that you are having all of this trouble with your diesels. You really need to get in touch with someone who knows how to upgrade your equipment without violating any smog laws.

If you still feel strongly about how I did pass and why you can not, maybe you should fly up here and I will show you. You could drive with me to an approved Diesel SMOG station, oh pick any station up here in California, for me to smog it again, you pick up all costs, including my time of 2 hours and a nice sit down lunch, Chilli's or TGI Fridays will do. Nothing to expensive.

If you agree to this, I will be happy to entertain you by passing again.

I think that would be a small price to pay for the knowledge that is eluding you for the moment.

Jim Gamble

Crystal Cleaning Company LLC

Antioch, California 94509-6911

www.GarageCleaning.Net

510-612-0437

Jim,

Ok so you were kidding about the 10 yr mark. This is just what you think not the truth. Remember someone on here might actually believe your words.

As for jake brakes, good luck with them. I will tell you whether you have a "batman" switch and can convert your whole rig into a volkswagon or not if you get stopped and have them (per lets say a DOT inspection) you will get fined no matter what. You can muffle the noise or not I dont think they are going to care.

Rob,

Here in California, DODGE Trucks equipped with Cummings Diesels, New for 2011, come standard with Jake Brakes and are legal. You cannot order them without the Jake Brake. There is an off switch for residential noise. You have the option to use them or turn them off.