Sign in to follow this  
Bennyhonda

Treating an Asphalt Driveway for Moss

Question

Has anyone ever treated an asphalt driveway to kill the moss growth? The driveway in question is not thick with growth, but has a green sheen to it. In the past I have sprayed it with a diluted 12% so I would assume a treatment similar to the Apple roof formula would do the trick but has anyone used something else with success? Also, how would the TSP affect asphalt? Thanks.

Edited by Bennyhonda

3 answers to this question

You are always going to find it in the shaded damp areas of the driveway. I've always used a mix of 15%SH before/after a run with the surface cleaner and it works well. Gonna have to do my own one of these days.

Um, I wouldn't recommend a surface cleaner on asphalt (unless it is equipped with much larger nozzles). If you want to see striping, go for it (I know because I tested out a new Big Guy for about 5 seconds on my own driveway, OOPS!!) Use the diluted 12.5% by itself, and a wand with a wide fan to rinse, and keep the nozzle as far from the surface as possible. I'd stay away from the TSP, Dawn, or any other caustic type cleaners. Asphalt is made with LOTS of oil, so you wouldn't want to be removing it from the asphalt.

Thank you both for the suggestions. I've seen enough damage from surface cleaners, turbo tips and wands on asphalt so I wouldn't risk hitting them with high pressure. Spray and rinse of 12% was my go to, however, I was curious about other possible treatments such as zinc that may have a longer lasting affect and I'd be interested in the environmental impact from such treatments.