Sign in to follow this  
JOgden

Repair concrete flake off in garage

Ice has been building up at our garage door and freezing there, the snow is melting off cars over night and running in that direction. I should have kept up on it more. I chipped away at the ice a few weeks ago and then again tonight. I noticed that tonight, the top layer of the cement flaked off. It's the are where the cement is taper down to meet the driveway. It's very thin flaking however I am upset that I did this and want to repair it this spring so it doesn't get worse.

Do I just use quickrite cement and trowel it until it gets smooth? Or should I use something else? Would sealing the garage floor with a good cement sealer help as well?

Thanks,

Hi James.....like Beth said, photos would be really helpful! It sounds like you've had some spalling - it happens. Throw some photos up and let's see how big of an issue you have before you try to smear some more concrete on. Just like with decks - prep is everything! Don't want the same problem next year :)

Here you go.[ATTACH=CONFIG]16928[/ATTACH]

On yours I would grind down the bad spots, pressure wash, let dry half decent, then follow the instruction on the repair video on this link: http://www.concretenetwork.com/fix-spalled-concrete/fixing-a-spalled-driveway.html

Even then though, shear could still result next year, especially since your problem is very topical; this is why I suggest grinding it down a bit first to help prevent that.

Alternately, you might try a silicone application, but that would not look too good. For that just pressure wash and apply to seal the pores.