Sign in to follow this  
BGMBGM

Best way to remove Epoxy on a yacht (Included Photos)

Question

I have a commercial project to remove epoxy off of a large yacht. I was wondering if you guys can give a suggestion of the best way to remove it. My first initial method of removal is Ice blasting. For those who have never heard of that method just google it. If you guys have any other suggestions please either pm me or post.

The first pic shows a square within a square. The outer square has a brownish color to it which is the top side of the epoxy. This is what is exposed after the teak wood is removed. Then the inner square shows the metal surface (finish product). So it’s really simple removal of epoxy in order to expose the metal surface. This epoxy is really tough and wet Medias for removal can’t be used.

The second pic shows a piece of the epoxy. These pieces were chizzled off so that you guys can get a reference.

The project is time sensitive, so any fast methods would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

epoxy2.jpg

epoxyphoto1-1.jpg

11 answers to this question

Possibly....

http://www.wscoatingsinc.com/?gclid=CK_i89yHiacCFcpU2godLW_Hdg

.....That came up under the tag line of your post.

or glass blasting.

Wouldn't ice blasting eventually turn to wet media?

Possibly soda, or cobb blasting.

Welcome to TGS.

While you are here please go to your settings tab and complete your signature line. House Rules.

That way we know who we are talking to. You will get more responses that way.

Hopefully Beth & Rod will chime in.

They are the media blasting guru's around here.

good luck with your project.

Again welcome to TGS.

Hey James,

Thanks for the compliment on the website. I used the guys over at footbridge media to make my website for me. As far as the steam machine we cant use that due to the fact that it gets way to wet and messy. But the heat Idea can work. What temp would I have to get the epoxy at in order to start making it loose?