Sign in to follow this  
MaineWindowCleaning

Residential customer is grilling me about chemicals

Question

Hey all,

I'm bidding on a job here in Grand Rapids MI and this prospect wants the chemicals I'm using. So I break it down for her to, 12.5 % chlorine, simple cherry and water. Then I just received a follow up email that the other two estimates mentioned that they were using a biodegradable chemical application. What am I missing? Are the chemicals I'm using biodegradable? Please educate me...Thanks much in advance

Ken

22 answers to this question

The last time I was asked what chemicals and processes I used, my reply was "That is proprietary information that I do not share." They either do not trust you, or they want to make sure you are not making too much money, or your competitor is telling that you use chemicals that will cause their children to be born with 3 eyes. If you wait long enough, most chems will disolve

Once in a while you will meet one that asks too many questions about what kind of chemical for this and what kind do you use for that. If the questions are being asked from a home handyman type and he starts asking ratios you can be sure he's just pumping you for information so he can do the job himself with a rented washer. Feel free to say any chemical that pops into you mind at that moment. Uranium 232 works great at removing those black streaks from the white gutters, I dilute it with 50% water, sometimes a little stronger if the stains are tough.

Haha I would pass on the Job Ken, or as other mentioned simply explain that you use industry standard and job specific cleaning detergents to achieve documented and professional results.

Once in a while you will meet one that asks too many questions about what kind of chemical for this and what kind do you use for that. If the questions are being asked from a home handyman type and he starts asking ratios you can be sure he's just pumping you for information so he can do the job himself with a rented washer. Feel free to say any chemical that pops into you mind at that moment. Uranium 232 works great at removing those black streaks from the white gutters, I dilute it with 50% water, sometimes a little stronger if the stains are tough.

Rick, I need more info on the U-232. This might be solution to those of us who work at night and need a dependable light source.

Haha I would pass on the Job Ken, or as other mentioned simply explain that you use industry standard and job specific cleaning detergents to achieve documented and professional results.

Awesome statement. Mind if I quote you?

Rick, I need more info on the U-232. This might be solution to those of us who work at night and need a dependable light source.

I might have just reduced the world's energy crisis while cleaning black streaks from gutters.

I just say soap. If they ask what kind, and its a roof, I say roof soap.

There biggest concern, most, is it gonna kill something. Damage something. void a warranty.

Show confidence, Maintain control of the conversation. Ask for the job. Today! (the contract)

None of the stuff hurts anything, we use, hurts anything, if managed properly.

Here is a lil joke. When they have to know what I use. I ask them if they are my competition? Or thinking about it? lol!

Sold those too!

When they tell me that my competitor said that they "only use bio-degradable products" I then explain to them how that EVERYTHING is bio-degradable. Including their house. Inform what Bio-Degradable really means and turn it on your competition for using that term. That's a term used to try and WOW a customer, when they having nothing else to WOW them with. Explain to your customer you would never insult his/her intelligence by using that term just to make a sale. (by the way, sounds like he/she doesn;t understand the term) And then do like DOug says, "propreitary infromation" that you are not allowed to divulge, but that all your cleaning products are safe for the environment, if they are. Educate your customer in a professional manner and you'll win them for life.

Most chemicals (not all) in this industry biodegrade because they are designed to. It is easy enough to look up the chemicals specifically in a google search by chemical name and including the term biodegrade.

The customer has every right to know what you are using since it is 'their' property. Out of respect for our customers and the potentials of having been through an unpleasant situation with another cleaning contractor, I will discuss whatever they need to know about the products I will use on their property.

I can tell them what each chemical is and what that specific one is in the formulation to do.

Rod!~

Most chemicals (not all) in this industry biodegrade because they are designed to. It is easy enough to look up the chemicals specifically in a google search by chemical name and including the term biodegrade.

The customer has every right to know what you are using since it is 'their' property. Out of respect for our customers and the potentials of having been through an unpleasant situation with another cleaning contractor, I will discuss whatever they need to know about the products I will use on their property.

I can tell them what each chemical is and what that specific one is in the formulation to do.

Rod!~

I agree with Rod 100%. When I am out doing estimates, I will answer whatever questions the client may have about the process and the chemicals, how they work and why they will in fact run off as neutral when we are finished. If you had someone come onto YOUR property and you knew chemicals were involved would you not want to know more about it? BS. You know the answer is yes, you would.

Beth

Sodium hypochlorite degrades in a matter of minutes in direct sunlight.The chlorine gases off pretty quick.As far as bio-degradable?That a catch phrase used to make people think that everythings green and safe.Phosphoric acid is bio-degradable too, but you wouldn't wash your hands in it would you?

yea I never call acid, acid. I call it brightener. "Hey you want me to spray acid on your truck!?!" lol....It tends to not scare as many people off. I call chemicals, detergents.