Sign in to follow this  
metcalfec

Need Help With New Trailer Set-Up!

I am currntly in the process of building my trailer, after much research I feel I am ready to tackle this project. But I still have a couple of questions and hopefully some of the pro's can help!

I am using a 4GPM, 3700PSI BE pressure washer(cold), it has a 13HP Honda with a Comet pump(direct drive). Up to this point I have been using either a direct GH from the customers water to my PW or I use a 250gal tank which I fill at home through the top and gravity feed to my PW. After much reading on this site I will be setting it up as most do, I will use the Tank as a buffer, I will be connecting my inlet hose to the top of the tank with a bulk head at the 250gal mark, on the inside I will install a float valve so I don't overflow the tank (anymore lol), in the inlet line I will install a water filter. On the outlet side which I already have in place I will not change much of anything unless you guys/gals advise me to do so.

My questions are:

1. I use hose that has a 3/4" inside diameter for the line from the tank to the PW, is this enough or should I go to a 1" line? My fear is as some have pointed out, I don't want to starve my pump.

2. Same question for the inlet line, what should the inside diameter be on the hose? Again I don't want to run short on water but am also afraid I can go to big also. I know if I start with 100gal or so in the tank I most likely will not run out on any job, I just am looking for some clarification.

Thanks again

Chris

1) 3/4'' hose feeding to the washer for your machine is going to fine, I have a 3/4'' hose that feeds my 5.5 gpm unit with no problems what so ever.

2) When running hose to your buffer tank make sure that you use 3/4'' reason being is when you have to run over 200' of say 5/8'' garden hose friction will cause the water to barely come out, where if you us 3/4'' you will have the volume to mantain the stream. As for the filter, I have the small screen style strainer on my 3/4'' hose that attaches to the water spigot that dumps into my buffer tank (This has saved me several times from getting things into my tank), then I have a small micron filter between the tank and pump to stop any small debris.

Also where you said that you are going to fill your tank at your house make sure that your tralier has brakes on it to help stop the weight. And when you pumb in you pressure washer to your buffer tank make sure that you purchase hose that will not collapse under suction and its best not to use pvc pipe I can't remember where I purchased my hose from but its black in color and has 3/8'' walls with the 3/4'' ID you can not squeeze it together

In my opinion, for durability, I would run a larger line to just before the machine, then use the 3/4" line going into the head. Most of my machines I have set up with a piece of 2 inch pVC from the tank to about 6 inches from the head, and then use a 3/4" hose to go into the head. I have had excellent luck this way. I also include a filter before the hose that goes to the head. It works great, and I always have enough water. I have machines that used as small as a 3/8" hose going to a 5 gpm, pump. That was the factory setup, and it was disastrous.

I have one tank, with 2 machines running off of it. I have it all hard piped with 2 inch pvc, then its reduced down to 1inch hose right before the pump. I have a strainer on each hose.

In my opinion, for durability, I would run a larger line to just before the machine, then use the 3/4" line going into the head. Most of my machines I have set up with a piece of 2 inch pVC from the tank to about 6 inches from the head, and then use a 3/4" hose to go into the head. I have had excellent luck this way. I also include a filter before the hose that goes to the head. It works great, and I always have enough water. I have machines that used as small as a 3/8" hose going to a 5 gpm, pump. That was the factory setup, and it was disastrous.

I agree with Scott on this. You never want to " Starve" your pumps. For 21 years, we have always used 2 inch pipe from the tank down sizing to 1 inch to a reducer sleeve to our pumps. We also use a 2 inch filtration unit as well BEFORE the reduction. Reason, less restriction especially if the filter is particle clogged. Those smaller SS Screen filter elements are more flimsy as well. Spending a few dollars will give you better performance and longevity for your system.

I am currntly in the process of building my trailer, after much research I feel I am ready to tackle this project. But I still have a couple of questions and hopefully some of the pro's can help!

I am using a 4GPM, 3700PSI BE pressure washer(cold), it has a 13HP Honda with a Comet pump(direct drive). Up to this point I have been using either a direct GH from the customers water to my PW or I use a 250gal tank which I fill at home through the top and gravity feed to my PW. After much reading on this site I will be setting it up as most do, I will use the Tank as a buffer, I will be connecting my inlet hose to the top of the tank with a bulk head at the 250gal mark, on the inside I will install a float valve so I don't overflow the tank (anymore lol), in the inlet line I will install a water filter. On the outlet side which I already have in place I will not change much of anything unless you guys/gals advise me to do so.

My questions are:

1. I use hose that has a 3/4" inside diameter for the line from the tank to the PW, is this enough or should I go to a 1" line? My fear is as some have pointed out, I don't want to starve my pump.

2. Same question for the inlet line, what should the inside diameter be on the hose? Again I don't want to run short on water but am also afraid I can go to big also. I know if I start with 100gal or so in the tank I most likely will not run out on any job, I just am looking for some clarification.

Thanks again

Chris

with 4 gpm, I think you would be fine at 3/4" id.

I like the idea of a filter before the tank, Matthew mentioned, i get rust in my tank from the fill line hose reel.

Question for you Chris, did you notice a increase in flow or force at the gun with your direct drive pump, being tank feed and the same unit that was pressure feed from a good supply spigot?

Just wondering , because I did, and questioned an AR pump engineer, he said that most direct drive and pulley/gear driven pump have a higher volumetric efficiency being pressure feed.

Just some trivia Chris/Guys, did you know that a pump that has a flow rating like yours for example of 4 gpm (at a particular speed) there are moments during the revolutions of the plungers with in a minute that the pump requires more than 4gpm supply?

Why? It has to do with the acceleration and deceleration of the plungers.

It is actually recommended that you feed the pump with 1.5 times the advertised gpm at a particular speed.

We run a 1" line to the pump with an inline filter. If you're only going to use one filter, put it between the tank and the pump. You can always rinse out the tank if you get a lot of trash in it.

2" manifold off the tank is a good setup, works great fo us.