Sign in to follow this  
Rick2

Japan

Question

5 answers to this question

My brother-in-law George has been teaching children of US servicemen

on US military bases in Japan for about 10 years.

George was promoted to Administrator and family moved just 6 months ago

from close to Sendai, to half way between there and Tokyo..

they and their things are fine, and locating all the school kids

that were on their way home from school at the time was a "scary",

and that went well, but..

If those nuclear power-plants continue exploding and melting down,

and the wind is blowing the wrong way, they will be evacuated by the US Military.

.. as he's on the Yakota Air-Base.

I guess nobody from his school was hurt,

but many thousands of people to the north are without homes, roads, food, water and family.

I sent my 14 year-old daughter there to visit her 18 year-old cousin for Christmas and NewYears'..

..and I was nervous about earthquakes the whole time she was there.

How's that for an anticipating gut-feeling ?

..that place shakes ALL the time.

Anyway we have lots of Americans and friends there

Keep them all in your prayers for health and safety.

this ordeal is FAR from over. :(

You're right about that place shaking all the time. I lived there for several years in the early 1990s in Osaka for a little while before moving to Wakayama. Minor earthquakes are something you get used to. In fact one of the first things I learned about that is to not leave your coffee cup too close to the edge of your desk or it will shake right off at any given time. I moved back to the USA shortly before the huge quake that destroyed Kyoto in 1995. I had several friends in Kyoto that I kept in touch with when I returned to the USA but I never got a reply from them after the earthquake. After a while I gave up trying. Sometimes I miss living there but then I look around and see how much I have going for myself here in the USA. I wish the people only the best in Japan.

Here's the latest direct from the US Air-Base 180 miles south of the reactors..

"Number 1 and 3 are cooling down - with sea water. Number 2 is having some containment problems. They have water in the containment but they are having troubles covering all of the rods. Number 4 reactor which was down for maintenance but their spent fuel rod containment area was damaged. They are trying to figure how to get water to the containment pool. The reactors were not as "hot" as if they were fully powered up. The news reported that one good thing is the reactors were turned off automatically during the earthquake. It was the tsunami which destroyed their power generators so they have no power to cool the reactors.

I guess they are doing everything manually."

Edited by Jerry
font size