Sign in to follow this  
jdiosana

New construction is leaking water: enclosed patio kitchen

Question

Video: Flickr: OneADayHouston's Photostream

Scenario

My buyers are purchasing a new construction home with a patio they enclosed for a second kitchen. The video above is what they encountered visiting the site.

The builder says that it is do to pressure washing the weep holes. My client wants the builder to fix the issue. Builder says that it is an abnormal circumstance.

Is this correct?

5 answers to this question

Question for you, what was the surface that they were washing made of? You mentioned weep holes so I have to assume it was vinyl. You are correct, it does indeed look like water was forced behind the siding, and is now between the siding and the drywall. Most likely there is insulation there too. to be absolutely sure that you do not end up with mildew and mold growing inside the walls, you need to get into the area behind the drywall and re-insulate, and replace that drywall.

The reason this occurred is not because the house was washed, but because the house was most likely washed INCORRECTLY. When too high a pressure or too close a range or the incorrect angle is used when washing then water will get forced behind the siding. Low pressure washing is always advised, and an experienced contractor knows how to clean without the results seen in your video.

Hope your contractor is insured......

Beth

p.s. Add your signature please.....

Edited by Beth n Rod

If all 3 sides were affected and they are all outside walls, the only thing I can determine is that whoever built it didn't install a moisture barrier.

Still, that looks as if the siding was washed under high pressure, forcing water behind the siding and without a moisture barrier, you get what you see.

Another possibility is directing the spray into the soffits added to the problem.

Abnormal circumstance? Not really, just a combination of factors on both the builder and the pressure washing company.

This is a perfect example of why a little knowledge is dangerous...

My question is why a new addition required such high pressure cleaning to begin with?

Edited by Beth n Rod

Maybe they were pressure washing inside open head joint weep holes for brick / masonry ? But I cannot imagine someone doing such a thing.

Proper Drainage for Weep Holes

The problem with them is usually the bricklayers are sloppy and drop so much mortar down the holes that they are closed and thus pointless.

Based only on the video, I suspect that the water penetrated under the bottom plate. Not through the wall, not through weep holes. Looking at 42 seconds in, it appears that the wall is on a slab, not overhanging the slab. As the water pools at the bottom of the wall, it seeps under the bottom plate.

It is an abnormal situation because normally that wall would be detailed with a flashing behind the exterior wall surface (EIFS assumed) that would direct all water out away from the bottom or sole plate.