Sign in to follow this  
RGilliam

Deck Sanding

Question

We have a deck we stripped and all the stain would not come off. We had alot left on the spindles. We are going to just sand the rest of it off. What is everyone using to sand in between the spindles? Its to small of a space to get a regular orbital sanders in between them and hand sanding will just take forever. Any inpute would be appreciated!

Thanks

8 answers to this question

depends on the finish too.... acrylics actually sand off pretty quick. Oils tend to gum the paper up. Typically though we're using 80 grit on orbitals or defurring pads. Sometimes it more cost effective to just restrip as well so it all depends.

Generally, we use a grinder to get in between but under the hand-rail caps, forget it. If you didn't get it with the strip, there is no machine made which will get in those spaces.

I would break out the stripper again and concentrate on those areas. It is much easier this way than to sand.

Rod!~

Generally, we use a grinder to get in between but under the hand-rail caps, forget it. If you didn't get it with the strip, there is no machine made which will get in those spaces.

I would break out the stripper again and concentrate on those areas. It is much easier this way than to sand.

Rod!~

+1 :) 1 hour to restrip vs. 8 hours of sanding = no brainer :)

We stripped most of it. But it was a solid. I dont think stripping a solid can be done in a hr! Had to get out of the sander!

Edited by RGilliam