Sign in to follow this  
Emminz

Seal Once

Question

Has anyone used a sealer called Seal Once? It's a water based no VOC sealer. I have a sample on the way to play with. I wanted to see if anyone had any long term experience with this.

14 answers to this question

Customer just asked me to use this product. They bought a whole bunch of it and think it's. I have never used a water-based stain. How much coverage does it have compared to an oil based? Deck is PT. What's it like to work with.

My preference would be to use an oil based product. But not sure how to approach them because they think this stuff is great.

Any ideas or input?

Let me interject here, I've been put nearly out of business using a popularly used oil based product many 'pros' here endorse. My experience with Seal-Once is using mainly the clear sealers

and not so much the tinted - but so far results have been spectacular. The product is excellent and not snake oil. It's watery, easy to use, normal spread rate and you'll never any issues like you will

have with many oil sealers. If you want to follow a blind ideaology that oil is best - that's your deal. I'd be lying if I said oils didn't make up 90%+ of what I use - but I am looking to use these waterbornes more and more. Seal-Once along with a couple of others are in the testing mode. I have one brand out in the "field" on customers decks. To the hobbyist perpahs these waterborne variants aren't as nice as their oil counterparts - but I am trying to run a profitable business, using these products take 30% less time including all the nasty cleanup. They are sufficiently good looking for most folks and I've seen reviews where folks are even happier - I've had failures with an oil in as little as 4 months!

I listened to many 'pros' on this board over the years and have learned my lesson. Just always look out for #1, because you can't use these 'pros' as an excuse to your unhappy customers. Always have a plan 'B' in the works, and a plan 'C'. And be open minded to these newer generation products. I can tell you first hand, oils are no fun to use!!!!!

According to what I have had time to read, the product is a sealer but does not keep the wood from turning grey.

It can be painted or stained afterwards or you can use a tint formula they provide.

Once in the wood, it becomes a part of the wood much like linseed oil hardens it.

P.I.T.A. to sand I am suspecting.

There is little feedback on the product here and I have not had the chance to look for any reviews.

I will look into that later but for now, I am skeptical.

Rod!~

I love oils and find them significantly easier to use than any waterborne products

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

The very fact you have to use turps/thinner as a cleanup as well as having oily rags already makes oils more difficult in my book.

Daniel,

What is your experience with applying this product? From my understanding its a 2 coat wet on damp system. How long do you usually wait for it to get 'damp'? What kind of brushes and pads have you tried on it?

Will report on my results.

What oil stains almost put you out of business. If it's this much of a concern, I for one, would like to know exactly what product you are talking about, and how it failed you. I am very interested in what you have to say and what your experiences have been, whether they mesh with everyone else or not. Please do elaborate. If something is this bad that it could cost you your business, I want to know exactly what product that is. As a business owner, I think information like this is vital, so please share more. I'm sure everyone who is using oils would like to know which product you're talking about, unless I'm the only one who doesn't?

The very fact you have to use turps/thinner as a cleanup as well as having oily rags already makes oils more difficult in my book.

Daniel,

You are using the wrong oils.