Sign in to follow this  
cwenbass

Gutter cleaning ?

Question

I bought this gutter cleaning tool from home depot. seemed like a cheaper alternative to the gutterball.

PowerCare 3,000 psi Gutter-Cleaner Attachment for Gas Pressure Washers - AP31052 at The Home Depot. Should I be using the max psi when using this? I have a dual lance wand but when the wand is tightened so the max pressure should come out, the water that sprays from the gutter nozzle has very little pressure but the gutter nozzle uses max pressure with a regular gun/wand but i have no way to adjust the psi.

26 answers to this question

I'm not knocking gutter cleaning tool but IMO the best way to clean a gutter is to go up a ladder and remove all the gunk by hand into a bucket. I also bought one of those gutter attachment's from the depo ( probably the same one ). when I used pressure to clean a gutter it made a huge mess that you have to go back to and clean up (time consuming ). I personally think it's easier to clean by hand or with a gutter scooper and use a garden hose to rinse and test out the down spouts. Just my thought's and experience's. Best of luck to you.

I use a simple attachment to my pw... they make the job easier and safe and can be had for cheap... KIT, GUTTER CLEANER w/M22

I finally got myself one of those.

What for nozzel do you use in it?

And do you run it at half pressure?

I tried it on a long wand and when I pulled the trigger the lance snapped back so fast it broke the quick connect off, and could hardly hang on to it.

I threw it back in the truck.

I'm not knocking gutter cleaning tool but IMO the best way to clean a gutter is to go up a ladder and remove all the gunk by hand into a bucket. I also bought one of those gutter attachment's from the depo ( probably the same one ). when I used pressure to clean a gutter it made a huge mess that you have to go back to and clean up (time consuming ). I personally think it's easier to clean by hand or with a gutter scooper and use a garden hose to rinse and test out the down spouts. Just my thought's and experience's. Best of luck to you.

Agreed. Bucket, LAdder, Done

I finally got myself one of those.

What for nozzel do you use in it?

And do you run it at half pressure?

I tried it on a long wand and when I pulled the trigger the lance snapped back so fast it broke the quick connect off, and could hardly hang on to it.

I threw it back in the truck.

many moons ago I had the same thing happen to me, as soon as I realized no one saw me I laughed my butt off!

I actually bought one of the curved gutter cleaners as well and had the same thing happen to me. However, I didn't chalk it up as a waste of money. I added a 1/4" T and two over sized 15 degree screw in tips. My machines are 5.1 GPM at 3500 PSI. I added two 5.5 tips which cut my pressure in half. It works great. I actually built a shield for it as well but didn't like it so I took it off. I have done both ways, the bucket and scoop and the modified gutter attachment. I like the gutter attachment better now that I have used it for some time.

It does make a bigger mess but it is fairly simple to clean up. With the water shooting out both sides there is no snap in the wand. I simply move the attachment up and down inside the gutter. It cleans very well. When I get to a downspout I just turn it to shoot down the spout. Also, when I get close to the wall of the house (end of gutter) I will clean the gutter as usual then rinse the house with the attachment. The 15 degree tip at low pressure works fine.

I am a ladder and bucket guy too. A lot less mess and you are certain to get everything out, like golf and tennis balls.

And the nasty dead squirrel I had the displeasure of meeting once.

many moons ago I had the same thing happen to me, as soon as I realized no one saw me I laughed my butt off!

Same thing happened to me, but I was so shocked I had to do it again, thinking I had done something wrong like pulling the trigger wrong or something. Same result, same "stupid A@# feeling,

Been there too...if you use the hook you need a lower pressure nozzle like a soap nozzle and just use it to rinse when you are done or to blast out the downspout. I prefer the ladder and bucket method myself as well for clean out but I will rinse with the gutter hook form time to time.

Actually, I am also facing the same problem and getting information through this forum that the best way to clean a gutter is to go up a ladder and remove all the glop by hand into a bucket. Can it is right to handle this problem through this way. I need some more suggestions.

Just make sure that when using a ladder, it is a must to attach a stabilizer to avoid slippage. Remember we all have only have one set of legs and arms...lol

Just make sure that when using a ladder, it is a must to attach a stabilizer to avoid slippage. Remember we all have only have one set of legs and arms...lol

You are right. An addition to this, make sure that when using the ladder system, you have all the safety equipments. No matter how high or low the gutter is, it is important to ensure safety. Sometimes, even on low altitudes you can get serious injuries.

If it is dry, which isn't often in the northwest these days, I will blow them out with a backpack blower. But most days

we clean them by hand. Try to clean them from the roof if they are not too steep.

I have never been a fan of gutter cleaning tools like these, because I doubt my customers want a major mess in their landscaping or yard. I also don't blow out dry leaves for that reason. We use ladders and buckets. We always use a stabilizer on the ladders. If it looks too dangerous, I decline the job. Taking safety risks is not fair to my family.