Sign in to follow this  
staudend

Keeping Airless Overspray off house while deck staining

Question

How does everybody do this? I'm very picky about the airless FOG - so I spend hours putting plastic up in all directions 10 feet. Anybody have any quicker way to do this without worrying about blowing stain all over the house and siding?

Thanks!

22 answers to this question

I use the best I can get with out ordering it (I hope) in SW Deckscapes toners and semi transparent Oils. I'm doing my next one SW Waterborne Semi at the request of the client.

I just heard about putting a tarp on one side of rails and shooting into the tarp to catch a lot of it, then reversing when doing the other side, then reversing the tip to put volume on the floor (backbrush) without atomizing. Trying to find a timesaver that protects the house still!

I'm a part timer and can't afford a deckster, and truly try to stay away from decks because of time limitations - I have a Graco Pro X7 I got refurbished for 400$, but looking for a low cost time saver. HVLP would require a good sized portable compressor right? If somebody has a used deckster they want to let go of I'd be more than willing to look into buying.

Titan 440i is the airless we use for certain stains. It does need to be a heavy bodied stain for that though. A deckster will pay for itself with one deck if that is the route you want to go.

If you are trying to keep the over spray off of everything except what you are spraying you can go to your local Home Depot and pick up a sheet of luan plywood and cut it into 4x4 sheets and put it up against the house and spray and keep moving the sheet then follow behind using a brush to touch up the small section that the luan covered. The luan plywood is only about $10 a sheet and will save you tons of time.

I do like that idea for the floor, but when doing rails the overspray drifts wherever the hell it wants to go if spraying from the outside in. Can you use Waterborne stain in a deckster and/or HVLP/Pressure Pot? I don't do many of them, but I am tomorrow.

For the railing to keep the stain from going every where you can take the sheet of plywood and put it on the railing and have it held in place by several clamps or by making a hook design out of some scrap 2x4 boards that will hold it on the railing then spray away and keep moving it a long.

I hope that this is what you are asking.

Yah exactly. Sorry I can't answer- at the full time gig now. I think with the time limitations I'm going to plastic like crazy for this deck, and try out the 4 X 12 drop cloth method clamped on the railing to catch stain. Not too used to waterborne on decks - should be interesting...

When using drop cloths neodymium magnets work great to hold them in place providing you can find a nail or other metal to attach them to. if you get stain on the siding a weak mix of hd80 removes it quickly.

So I did my Deckscapes semi-tran, waterborne deck this morning. I tried the 4X12 drop cloth and clamped it on the railings with plastic hand quick clamp things. It went really smooth on the railings and caught a ton of FOG that would otherwise drift...

Get away from the decks :)

SW waterborne is going to end unpleasantly. We're already seeing the stuff peel around here much like the BEHR Acrylic.

Yikes! Not what I like to hear about Waterborne, but that's what he requested. I've been spraying and back brushing for the last 8 years or so, just looking for an easy way to ease my paranoia about getting stain on people's houses. The tarp on railing method worked great, although I still plastic'd the crap out of everything. I wish there was a good source of readyseal here in MO, not being full time I don't want to stock anything or pay for shipping, do the best that's convenient in SW stains (oil from now on) I guess.

Problem is when it fails (and it will) he'll assume you did a poor job and that caused the failure. I guarantee thats what Sherwin Williams will blame it on (poor prep, underapplied, overapplied, etc...).

What Greg said.

People are naive about products being on the shelves and thinking that "they must be good if they are for sale" and therefor the contractor that applied them did something wrong.

We have all seen good and bad products in some way and know better. It is just that the customer doesn't.

Rod!~