Sign in to follow this  
New Brite

Unusual cleaning job

Question

Hello all! I want to start by saying that The Grime Scene is a wonderful resource! We have learned so much from your posts! Thanks!

On to our question...We have a Magnum Clean trailer unit, 3500 psi, 4 gpm. hot and cold water, 300 gal tank. We are cleaning a municipal water tower. The tower is about 100 ft tall, but we are only cleaning the bottom 30 feet or so. The tower is painted with a white enamel type paint, but is fairly uniformly black for the bottom 30 feet or so. When I went to bid the job, it was damp on one side from condensation, the black wiped right off with little effort. There had been a fence around it in the past, but foilage, trees, weeds, etc grew inside the fence to the "black" level. The fence was removed, the weeds, etc cleared out and and the tank repainted a couple of years ago. The only criteria was that we couldn't use bleach. We got an alternative from a local chemical supplier, Sani-T-10, a bleach alternative. The supplier gave me instructions to mix 1 gallon with 5 gallons of water and spray on with a pump up sprayer, let dwell for 20 minutes and rinse....well...nothing happened!

We did use hot water as well, the only way we removed any of the black was with high pressure at short range. We also tried our house wash mix , Aerodet, with the same results...Ripper seems to loosen it a bit, but none of the chemicals are working! We are about half done, and will have to return Tuesday...Any suggestions? post-8346-13777238903_thumb.jpg

Also, please check out our FaceBook page...suggestions welcome! http://www.facebook.com/NewBrite

post-8346-137772388981_thumb.jpg

Edited by New Brite

24 answers to this question

Is the Gutter Grenade similar to Ripper from Envirospec? We have applied everything with a pump up sprayer or foamer nozzle...haven't tried to brush anything...

We have been using the extendable wand to be able to get close enough...boy that thing is a "Booger" LOL

Thanks for your reply Major Panes. :-)

SEE MSDS Document for SANI-T-10

What you bought it basically Odo-Ban. (ABDAC) The strength is low; you will need to try it full strength at a minimum. You can also buy it at up to 40% concentration but last time I had it priced it was 300 for 5 gallons...but that 40% strength is super strong...

I think you might have to brush every square inch when it's in the paint like that....

Hi People. I'd be inclined to go for something with high alkaline levels & try adding some thickening agent to it, so it has a longer ''hang time''. Good luck!

Was the reason you cant use bleach because of environmental concerns? I would make sure that some of the methods or products suggested are approved by the water company prior to using them. Our municipality does soil samples regularly around our water tanks, pumping stations, and reserviors. CYA!!

Ron, what exactly is two stepping? I've read several hundred posts and so many talk about it, but no one has said what it is exactly and I have done a search...all I get is all the posts that mention two stepping. And Veteran, I believe it was a concern about yellowing the paint.

Thanks for the replies!

Edited by New Brite

Vids not working Ed/Sally.
MMM, I don't understand that! I could watch it from here after I posted...Try looking at our FB page... New Brite Pressure Washing Services - Local Business - Red Boiling Springs, TN | Facebook

the video link is... Log In | Facebook

I'm sorry...maybe the mods can help me with this...

Two stepping is a method we use to clean trucks. Its applying an acid. then apply a soap over top of it. Then its like a magic trick,....now you see the dirt....now you dont! waaa laaa! maybe watch one of my videos.

its really simple. you just have to be careful with the acid.

Curious why they wouldn't allow you to use bleach? It's probably the best choice of all stated above as it breaks down quick and leaves little with regard to trace.

Try the bleach from lowes that is safe for plants and some sodium hydroxide....might have to dwell a bit and agitate the surface before you wash or if you feel you have tried everything paint it.

Or if there is a contamination problem wedge plastic around the cleaning area build up walls to contain then pump the mess in a container. Then use what you want to remove the problem.

Or if there is a contamination problem wedge plastic around the cleaning area build up walls to contain then pump the mess in a container. Then use what you want to remove the problem.

That's right. It is more safe for the plants around if you'll use a thiker kind of plastic around the cleaning area.

Edited by rrestor

That's right. It is more safe for the plants around if you'll use a thiker kind of plastic around the cleaning area.

Please ad your signature

House Rules.

Did you ever do this job? I think with bleach you'd prob. still have to do lots of scrubbing.

No Sig RG.

You've been around a while.

Pls add.

Thx.

Thanks for all the comments...yes, we did finish the job (the video is on the first page) I'm not really sure why we couldn't use bleach, maybe something to do with reacting with the paint? We used hot water and pressure....kinda difficult getting the upper areas, but we did it! Check out our video! comments are welcome!