Sign in to follow this  
Jeffrey Abrams

Quad for snow removal?

Jeff,

You do know us southern guys call them fourwheelers.You darn Jersey guys and your fancy talk...........LOL.

I think the pro would be getting into tight places and easy mobility.The con,have you ever rode a fourwheeler in 30 degree weather?It's darn cold and after 30 minutes to an hour you will be ready to stop.Then again living in NJ you should be used to cold weather and it may not bother you.As loading and unloading from a trailer or truck could be tricky in cold slippery weather.

Dress like you would when going snowmobiling and you won't have a problem...that's basically what snowmobiling is.

I can't imagine that you'll be able to push too much on a slick surface with such little mass (assuming you mean a fourwheeler motorcycle-type), but with no experience that may just be talking out of the mute end.

It's just to much wear and tear on the four wheeler. Hitting uneven curbs and obstacles under the snow isn't good for the machine itself. IE..frame,steering,trans,etc.. We have a few for just goofing around pushing snow on our sidewalks and it hurts when you find the inmovable object in the snow.

Use the couple grand and find a beater of a truck with a plow and have at it. Just have the trans and such extra important stuff checked out for excessive wear. Or you may need that snow suit for the long walk home.

I agree with Dave and Ryan and have tried using one before on commercial lots to get in-between cars at apartment buildings and found the blade is much to small to move the snow far and there is not enough weight to do any good.

I guess for short runs of sidewalk and very small driveways you could do ok if your not in any hurry. (I see a lot of Homeowners and teenagers doing this) I use a combination of snow blower, truck/plow, and sometimes the Bob Cat which is very hard and dangerous to pull.

I would recommend trying out a 4 wheeler with plow before you buy anything. I also thought it would be the answer to getting more work done fast until I used one in an emergency......it sucked.

Edited by Jesse

Why are you thinking of useing a quad for doing residential snow plowing? Thay work OK for apartment complex's on there side walks and such but for driveways their not effecent enought. We 're adding a 76 CJ5 with a 6.5ft Western to our list. Short wheelbase and smaller blade will make easy work of driveways and tight places. Good luck

My buddy Mike used to take out his 4 wheeler with a plow and do the sidewalks in our neighborhood when we were growing up. He did it just to be nice then some guys in the neighborhood raised up some money and gave hime like 300 bucks at the end of winter for doing it. He never asked for money but boy was that a nice suprise.

Jeff,

I dont know if you have seen my quad but I do have a 48inch snow blade on it. I have moved up to 15 inches of snow down my whole driveway with out a problem. The drive took only 5 minutes to do.

The only problem is the cost of the quad and the cost of the blade for it. Between the quad and the blade I have over 8k invested in it. Of course I had to have the bigggest and the best utility quad at that time of purchase. If I was you I would go buy a really nice snowblower instead.

I Live Outside Of Buffalo Ny ( Snow Capital Of The N East ) Lol! And Quads With Plows Are Fine If You're Pushing Light Fluffy Snow. But It Won't Push The Heavy Wet Stuff Very Well.