Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Unreliable pressure washer

We only work wood. It's not as demanding as flatwork or truck washing but still, we do clean and strip a fair sq. footage of dead trees per season.

Today, my Hydrotech pressure washer broke down in the middle of a job. Not being of mechanical skill, into the truck it went and over to ACR Products for repair.

After 9 years of use, the unloader was toast. After replacement and diagnostics, the unit is as good as new. Thank you Tom, Barbara (my sweet wood minx), and crew.

Aside from annual oil/fuel filter, pump and engine oil changes, this Hydrotech has never failed to start and do its job. For nine straight years. The AR pump has never been touched, aside from a preventitive belt replacement a few years ago.

Moral of the story. Buy the best equipment you can realistically afford. It pays substantial dividends.

I've used a HydroTek skid (8gpm/3000psi) for almost 6 years and somewhere around 4000 hours. I've replaced seals and valves a few times in the AR pump, but otherwise mostly routine maintenance. Not having to wonder whether it will start and run on the next job - or worry whether it will make it through the current job - is worth spending a little extra for. Of course, if you don't do the maintenance, it won't matter, much, what you run. BTW, I carry a spare 5.5gpm/2500 gear drive in the van...better safe than sorry!

I wish I was closer to ACR, they're good people.

We have two Hydro Tek units and keep them maintained annually. As was said above, they are work horses, champions, and serve us well. We bought the first one...well Rod says it was 2002? Pretty long ago in any case.

Beth

Love it! Professional equipment last a long time if maintained properly!

+

People wash and wax their cars frequently. What's up when they fail to do even basic maintenance on their equipment? It is your living, not another date for dancing or dinner.

Love it! Professional equipment last a long time if maintained properly!

How True Russ. The first rig we built back in 2005 and later sold, is still running with what I heard, no issues except for the reg maintenece...Oil changes, radiator flushes, hydraulic filter changes, etc. Even the 16 ply 17.5 inch tires ( Load range G) are still on the unit. Trailer has no rust anywhere on the unit. All wiring was enclosed in metal harness when possible.

The oldest rig we currently have is from 1999 I think. The electrical stuff went out on it, so we just replaced the pump and motor to take it to new again. The frame is the same, though... It is on the oldest truck (and only chevy) in our fleet, and the guys hate it, until they use it, because it runs so well.

We have a variety of units from 2009 to as old as 1989. After following Jerry's "bulletproofing" instruction we've had none of the little problems that plagued us before.

I wish he had a class on how to bulletproof and aerial lift!

We have a variety of units from 2009 to as old as 1989. After following Jerry's "bulletproofing" instruction we've had none of the little problems that plagued us before.

I wish he had a class on how to bulletproof and aerial lift!

I'll give you one way to bullet proof an Ariel lift Tony but you probably don't deal with these issues. Rinse it down after using Chlorine mixtures all day long. My bucket truck and especially my trailer now is getting eating alive due to Chlorine. That chemical is the best for residential cleanings but is as corrosive as heck with just the gases alone from it.

The oldest one we have has 1000 hrs on it. I don't keep equipment long enough for it to break. I would freak out if I had a unit with 4000 hrs on it. I've had Alkota's, Mi-T-M's, & Landa's....guess Hydro-Tek is next.

I'll give you one way to bullet proof an Ariel lift Tony but you probably don't deal with these issues. Rinse it down after using Chlorine mixtures all day long. My bucket truck and especially my trailer now is getting eating alive due to Chlorine. That chemical is the best for residential cleanings but is as corrosive as heck with just the gases alone from it.

Thanks John, but the only chlorine our trucks have ever seen is the single tablet we put in the water tank in the summer to kill tank algae

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The oldest one we have has 1000 hrs on it. I don't keep equipment long enough for it to break. I would freak out if I had a unit with 4000 hrs on it. I've had Alkota's, Mi-T-M's, & Landa's....guess Hydro-Tek is next.

They are barely broke in yet! I've got stuff with well over 10,000 hrs on them. I've actually got a burner that is 23 years old and still making us money!

They are barely broke in yet! I've got stuff with well over 10,000 hrs on them. I've actually got a burner that is 23 years old and still making us money!

Yea I know, but I can sell and replace for next to nothing so it makes me feel better.....plus I'm a equipment junkie....Thanks for letting me share;)

Edited by Guy B