Sign in to follow this  
James

Acid issue

Question

First time that this has happened to me. Usually the residue ( white haze) from the neutralizing process will just wipe off the painted trim or rinse off. This time it went through the paint and I have etched droplet marks all over the trim.

Same mix forever and same process. Has anyone noticed this on the newer paints being used. Or was it a crappy paint and or job ? Customer is touching up because job came out great and they are great understanding people.

Even after I wiped it down and tried every trick(abrasive) to remove the white droplet marks they would reappear .Have never seen this reaction before.

5 answers to this question

I've been getting it a lot on the newer james hardie siding....even if we have one guy rinsing the siding down it will still show. Almost like the acid reacts and lightens the paint. We will touch up the homeowners paint for free when it happens but you might be right about it being newer paint I didn't think of that.

Were these recently painted by any chance? The premium grade paints are much thicker than before and with a heavy acrylic it's possible they may have been 'softer'. Now, if its cheap paint, all bets are off and there may not be enough protection there to keep the chem from penetrating.

@Charlie - I've seen where those guys in new construction will fog a coat of color on Hardie plank that will almost come off with a house wash.