Sign in to follow this  
PowerPlay

Lightening up Med. Brown Ready Seal

Question

I have a customer that wants to change from a Medium Brown to a bit lighter brown.

I do not currently have light brown ready seal in stock. Would adding more oil or anything lighten it up a bit and be OK.

Of course I do not normally do anything with their stain other then put it on. And I wouldn't want to effect the stains performance in a negative way.

Linseed Oil?? I dunno?

10 answers to this question

Nathan,

Mixing linseed oil into Ready Seal is like putting cheap, no name 87 octane gas into a top fuel dragster. 50/50 mix of Ready Seal med. brown and Ready Seal clear is the ticket.

Call Tom of ACR Products in the morning and the RS clear will be on its way pronto.

I have done it many times with better results than AC. I use boiled and add some mold protection.

Diamond Jim,

Aside from the additional mildewcide that is obviously required, do you also need to add a bit of Japan dryer to help cure the boiled linseed oil?

NO you do not sir !

Hah! Another wood guru sharing secrets of the brotherhood. First, M. Smith, out of the west, now D. Jim, wood expert extraordinaire out of the east.

No fear. Most of the so called competition cannot read or spell English! And they are United Statesian born!

Gracias senor.

Edited by RPetry

I thought Dan already had the East Coast? geesh, I need to keep up :-

Tony,

Daniel is the life of the party on the wood web sites. He keeps everyone on their toes and is entertaining. Without Daniel, the boards would be boring.

You don't miss your water 'till the well runs dry. Long live Plainpainter! Seriously.