Sign in to follow this  
mike c

Stripping Sikkens Cetol 1-23

Question

Just looking for some advice on stripping Sikkens Cetol 1 & 23 on a mahogany t&g porch. About 1800 sq ft floor only no rails or spindles. Approx. 2/3 is covered and finish is in great shape the rest- not so much. Finish is about 5-8 yrs old. I know this is the wrong product for this application. I'm thinking strip with HD-80, neutralize, light sand with 60-80 grit. Would you recommend light cleaning and neutralize again after sanding? Any advice and recommendations greatly appreciated. Also how would you price this per sq ft, I've heard this is pretty difficult stuff to remove. I will be refinishing the porch also. Thanks

7 answers to this question

You need to put the stripper on straight and let it sit for hours, keep it wet and clean it and then do it again. Also you will need to sand it. Charge a lot. We have done a lot of them and every time I hate it.

Is 1-23 at all similar to Cetol Dek? I have Cetol Dek strip coming up never done one before. I've done old old old sikkens (not sure what type) but this Dek is 2 years old with 3 coats on it.