Sign in to follow this  
snookzter

Removing a stuck pump.

Hello,

I have a gear driven ts2021 thats seems as if its welded to the motor, does anyone have a trick to get it to let loose? Ive tried tapping and prying and its not budging, I don't want to damage the engine shaft. any suggestions will be apreciated.

Thanks Mike

1) Unbolt the pump from the engine block

2) Wiggle / Pry it lightly with thin prybars until you get a 1/16 or 1/8 gap between the pump and block.

3) Use wooden shims (from Home Depot, etc) to fit between the gaps and tap with a hammer. Use 4 shims on each corner at the same time.

4) as you start tapping all 4 shims the pump will seperate. Don't be in a rush because I'm sure it's rusty.

Oh, I forgot. There is a small Allen set screw (about an 1/8 inch that secures the shaft key from the pump onto the engine's crankshaft. You did loosen this screw, right.

Edited by Rick2

Some of the gear drive units have to be separated at the gearbox. Then you would remove each half, one from the engine and the other from the pump.

There is a setscrew on the pump gear, not on the engine. The gearbox to engine is a slide on connection. Get 2 large screwdrivers or pry bars and get them between the gearbox and the engine on opposite sides. Manipulate both of them at the same time to give an even pulling action. Hopefully that will do it, otherwise you're going to have to tear up some stuff to save other parts.

Thanks for the responses. come hell or high water its coming off this weekend. I'll let yall know what the damage is.

Ha! I had to laugh at that comment. You've already had the high water with Hurricane Irene. Were getting it this afternoon starting at 2:00 and lasting into Sunday afternoon. Let us know hom that pump worked.

Thanks for all the good advice. I finally got it off. I started by driving screwdrivers in at the corners then changed to cold chisels then the cold chisels with wood blocks. it didn't let go till the end then just dropped off. I cleaned the shaft with emory cloth then greased it up installed another pump bolted it down reinstalled it in the rig and I'm back in business. I hope all are safe in the hurricane area.

Thanks again,

Mike