Sign in to follow this  
Don EMS

Hog Barns

Question

Thats right, "HOG BARNS" I'll be going to a farm with 5 49'x198' hog barns that need the concret floors cleaned before thay bring in the new pork. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experence with this type of cleaning. I drive past them daily and I know it wont be pretty. I'm thinking surface cleaner w/ hot water, and a helper rinseing. Hopefully this will be the last job for the year befor the snow starts to fly. I cant wait to put away the washer and start pushing snow . Seasons rock!!!!!!!!!!!

17 answers to this question

Don,

I have actually read somewhere online about the process used to clean hog barns.It is very detailed including use of respirators and protective suits.As best I remember chlorine is the product off choice for disinfecting after removing the heavier waste.

Give me a little while and I'll post a link to the website.

Thanks Scott, I'm in the process if looking also. Suits/boots and respirators onr on my list. Dealing with airborn animal waste and just the smell makes them a must

Don,

If I didn't want to find the link it would show up in my search 1000 times,but tonight I can't seem to find it.Give your county extention agent(can you tell we live in the country....lol) a call they should be able to give you the run down on what is involved, as well as,what PPE's and chemicals are needed.

My nephews show market hogs with 4H maybe one of them will have some info on the topic.

Thanks Scott, I'll let you know what I find out tomarrow. I think your right adout the chlorine and then something for the odor. I think you have to look out for what chems. you release into the waste lagoons also, so not to kill or bother the bacteria in those ponds. I wouldent give up living in the country for anything. I grew up in the city and it would take alot to get me back. But then again haveing a Taco Bell under 15 miles would be nice. lol

Ugh....probably the only thing nastier than hog barns might be poultry....however, we have a HUGE one just outside our city limits. Lemme know how you handle this one...might be worth it for us to give it a look as well. OINK OINK!

Celeste

With either hog or poultry it is a good idea to wear mask eith the appropriate filtration cartridges, I will check with our Infection Control Physicians when I work in the ICU tomorrow. I think one of the critters are colonized with a bacteria strain that is nasty if it found a home in the lungs, eyes, mouth or ears

Matt, you right about the risks. Just to name a few theres Swine flu, Salmonella, E-Coli and Strep, all pretty nasty stuff. Safty will play a big roll in this one. I've got a call into these guys

http://miracle2.net/agriculture/agricgallery_hogs.asp hopefully I can get some info from them. I'll be looking at the barns tomarrow and should be able to get a little better feel of whats going to be involved. If this goes good this could be a new market for us.$$$$$$$$$$

I talked with one of our Infectious Disease Attendings in the ICU at work yesterday... By all means she reccommended eye, respirator and and ear protection with a rain suit and by all means make sure you have had a recent tetanus shot.

I remember seeing that a dilute formaldehyde solution was used to disenfect poultry barms. You may want to check into this. You may want to use the grade used to treat porta-johns. If you go this route, you need to insure you have covered all the safety bases. Formaldeyde, even diluted, is nasty stuff.

Bill3752,

You are correct formaldehyde is one of the products used in cleaning hog barns.There are several more including chlorine as I mentioned before.My understanding is it takes several products to get a desirable result.

Well, it turned out this time all thay wanted was the insides pwed. Thay do there own disenfecting through their overhead sprayers. Thay also had the area's scraped for us when we got there. Next time we'll be doing the scraping (nasty) and the pwing. All we used was a little bit of powerstroke as a presoak and then hit everything hot. Walls, ceiling, cages and floors, we even got out the rust stains on the walls with a little bit of rust-a-way. (thay loved that ) I thought it was going to be worse but once you get used to the smell its all cake. We did use respirators, glasses and rainsuits. We'll be going back in march for another round, it sound like this will be a 3 times a year gig, hopefully we can grab a few others. 5 49x198 barns in 2 days at .07 psf. Still need to figure out how much to charge for scraping next time. Thanks for all of your help and replys to my question.