Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Good bye, 2011

Question

This has been a challenging, but fruitful season. The weather was very wet, we lost more than the usual number of days due to rain and humid conditions.

But overall, it was a good season. Did some very high end work for wonderful new customers, and the numbers should come out close to last season, our best ever. The biggest plus of this year was finally delving into the wood siding house restoration market. Finished up a long waiting mahogany stain today, and stripped but cannot logically stain a nice cedar job until next spring. The wood will not dry out.

So good by to the wood restoration season for 2011. The book for 2012 is the best ever, so its time to rest, recuperate, and have some fun! If that is possible in winter ...

44 answers to this question

This has been a challenging, but fruitful season. The weather was very wet, we lost more than the usual number of days due to rain and humid conditions.

But overall, it was a good season. Did some very high end work for wonderful new customers, and the numbers should come out close to last season, our best ever. The biggest plus of this year was finally delving into the wood siding house restoration market. Finished up a long waiting mahogany stain today, and stripped but cannot logically stain a nice cedar job until next spring. The wood will not dry out.

So good by to the wood restoration season for 2011. The book for 2012 is the best ever, so its time to rest, recuperate, and have some fun! If that is possible in winter ...

Good stuff, unfortunately dec & jan is my busiest time of the year. More revenue each jan for the last 14 years.

Don't know what I do if I had to relax all winter.

Enjoy I'll be washing

Ron ********** text me for questions 480-522-5227 Pressure Washing Institute

way to go Rick, you get bored you can come down here and stain my kids swing set. I hate wood. If you don't come, I'll just get Christian to do it again like the past 3 years. Did I mention I hate wood

Myself, I could use a little slow time. But not to much or I'll be whining about that. Its weird I find it hard to relax, when its busy or slow.

Oh well, what will 2012 bring

The handwriting is on the wall even down here for sure. Going on two weeks for a job we ended up running the fans on so it would dry out. Still some warm weather but that sun just doesn't get up high enough anymore for some of these jobs. I know I'm looking forward to hibernating for a few weeks!

Congrats on the great season Rick, hope you rest well and can kick it even more in 2012!

Seasons don't make much difference in my business. Although I was wishing I had Goretex pants on at 38 degrees this morning with water to my knees!

We had to work on iced up roofs this morning. How does a roof ice over at 38 degrees?????

Ron & Jeff,

We don't wash. We are not pressure washers. It's an efficient tool that is helpful, but not a primary piece of equipment in what wood restorers do. On many jobs, a hose and a nozzle is sufficient.

We are not pressure washers. But we work as hard as you guys, just in a different way. Exterior wood is very different.

It is more an art, not sq. foot per hour. It is primarily residential, not condo's or parking lots. It is a very satisfying way to make a living. If you are geared that way. 4 to 5 months off is not too bad. But we'll be chompin' at the bit come April!

... Congrats on the great season Rick, hope you rest well and can kick it even more in 2012!

Hey Charlie,

Yeah, it gets to the point of diminishing return. We've been starting at 11:00 AM or 12:00 noon for the past few weeks as frost, heavy dew, even snow, and low air temps make wood working difficult. With the "fall back" time change, it is too dark by 6:00 PM.

I'm at the age and point in life where the volume of work is just about right. Wish I was 25 or 30, there is huge potential in the business. But I did that twice in other businesses, working like a madman, and building a good net income when I was younger. Now its time to relax and smell the roses.

I wish I was an art guy. I can't even stay in the lines in a coloring book!

I'm just a science geek!

Tony,

Funny, but me too. I cannot draw a stick figure. Graduated with a degree in Geology. I hate painting drywall and exterior trim. But there is something very satisfying restoring exterior wood. The "art" part is mostly in stripping off some of the difficult finishes encountered. And I can detail with a natural bristle brush with the best of them!

Still washing a week or more. Lost too much wood work this year due to the weather. Finishing an interior job tomorrow(sun porch). Spring is filled with work I coundn't get to or got rained on . Still getting request for wood work as of yesterday.

Finally finished the job from hell this week with the help of Charlie/Apex DeckSavers......still doing deck work and deck estimates this week. I'm ready for a lucky lottery ticket so we can have the winter off!

Hey Petry.....God Bless you man and here's to a quite winter for you. Hop on a plane and visit. Jake's up the road from me. I owe him dinner anyways. :)

Seasons don't make much difference in my business. Although I was wishing I had Goretex pants on at 38 degrees this morning with water to my knees!

We had to work on iced up roofs this morning. How does a roof ice over at 38 degrees?????

Its frost.....mid to upper 30's...it does suck the cold but restaurants dont wait for the winter to be done. The cold nights and the extra hr of time to winterize my stuff after each job is here as well.But i love it!!!!

Congrats rick and may the next season be just,if not more fruitful then this!!

Rick, you're the man. Congrats on a great season.

Adrian,

Thanks, I appreciate it. No, YOU ARE THE MAN. Anyone who can play the guitar as well as you, and fly friggin' helicopters, is someone to be admired. You obviously live life to the limit. Good for you!

Go figure. We had too much rain, you guys were digging in the sand for water. I hope Texas has a wet winter.

Hey Petry.....God Bless you man and here's to a quite winter for you. Hop on a plane and visit. Jake's up the road from me. I owe him dinner anyways. :)

Carlos,

It is so good to see you on TGS! Being an agnostic heathen, I guess I got lucky! Life has been an interesting road to travel so far, and it is not over yet. I'm a bit tempted to drive out to California before Christmas, as my newly purchased used car needs dry, no snow roads. The SR1 route along the coast would be memorable, as well as a round at Pebble Beach with you and Jake! Ahhh, dreams. I'll have to have an interesting talk with wife Saint Judy. She can't go, there is no room for a passenger and golf clubs! Life has blessed us.

I waited 40 years for this car. My best friend freshman year at CSU had a beat up Lotus Elan that we use to take out at night up the Cache La Poudre. Never forgot those drives. Can't duplicate being 18 when your 58, but I'm trying.

Congrats rick and may the next season be just,if not more fruitful then this!!

Marko,

Next year's schedule is shaping up to be a good start to the season. We'll see, the economic climate is actually good for mid $ home maintenance. Keep up the "Water Cooler" quotes, the more the better!

post-170-137772407476_thumb.jpg

Edited by RPetry

Good stuff, unfortunately dec & jan is my busiest time of the year. More revenue each jan for the last 14 years.

Don't know what I do if I had to relax all winter.

Enjoy I'll be washing

Ron ********** text me for questions 480-522-5227 Pressure Washing Institute

Good for you. We love the challenges wood care brings. It's not like what you do at all....it's much harder. :dancing:

Beth

Adrian,

Thanks, I appreciate it. No, YOU ARE THE MAN. Anyone who can play the guitar as well as you, and fly friggin' helicopters, is someone to be admired. You obviously live life to the limit. Good for you!

Go figure. We had too much rain, you guys were digging in the sand for water. I hope Texas has a wet winter.

Carlos,

It is so good to see you on TGS! Being an agnostic heathen, I guess I got lucky! Life has been an interesting road to travel so far, and it is not over yet. I'm a bit tempted to drive out to California before Christmas, as my newly purchased used car needs dry, no snow roads. The SR1 route along the coast would be memorable, as well as a round at Pebble Beach with you and Jake! Ahhh, dreams. I'll have to have an interesting talk with wife Saint Judy. She can't go, there is no room for a passenger and golf clubs! Life has blessed us.

I waited 40 years for this car. My best friend freshman year at CSU had a beat up Lotus Elan that we use to take out at night up the Cache La Poudre. Never forgot those drives. Can't duplicate being 18 when your 58, but I'm trying.

Marko,

Next year's schedule is shaping up to be a good start to the season. We'll see, the economic climate is actually good for mid $ home maintenance. Keep up the "Water Cooler" quotes, the more the better!

Rick, that car is awsum.

Rick, that car is awsum.
Yes! The new ride rocks.

Beth

Its a dream come true. A one owner, 20K mile '05 Lotus Elise, never tracked, and very well taken care of. Aside from the raised lettering on the rear clamshell, completely stock. It is a little monster, weighs just 2000 lbs, with a 190 bhp Toyota engine. When the 2nd cam kicks in at ~6200 rpm, it just screams.

It is the only car I've ever driven that you don't brake, but accelerate going into turns. Hope to take courses and driving lessons at the track next year. Not to race, but to learn how to really drive and maybe participate in time trials.

Photos are just after delivery and the title purchased. This was a Saturday afternoon, and could not register it until the following Monday morning. The temptation to throw on another set of license plates and go driving was almost overwhelming!

post-170-137772407797_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772407806_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772407814_thumb.jpg

Rick, go to Palm Beach for the Geriatric Time Trail races sponsored by, AARP, Lark and the National Funereal Association. I think they are in March ? Congrats , I'm jealous.......LOL

Rick, go to Palm Beach for the Geriatric Time Trail races sponsored by, AARP, Lark and the National Funereal Association. I think they are in March ? Congrats , I'm jealous.......LOL

Diamond Jim,

Ha! Had to buy one now, in 5 yrs. I won't be able to get in or out of it ... Wasn't the Lark a Studebaker? Someday I hope to track it up at Lime Rock in your neck of the woods. Care to be pit crew, 2nd driver, and local hostel proprietor?

Its a dream come true. A one owner, 20K mile '05 Lotus Elise, never tracked, and very well taken care of. Aside from the raised lettering on the rear clamshell, completely stock. It is a little monster, weighs just 2000 lbs, with a 190 bhp Toyota engine. When the 2nd cam kicks in at ~6200 rpm, it just screams.

It is the only car I've ever driven that you don't brake, but accelerate going into turns. Hope to take courses and driving lessons at the track next year. Not to race, but to learn how to really drive and maybe participate in time trials.

Photos are just after delivery and the title purchased. This was a Saturday afternoon, and could not register it until the following Monday morning. The temptation to throw on another set of license plates and go driving was almost overwhelming!

Way to go Paul Newman!!!!! That is awesome

My wife thinks Rick looks like Paul Newman

... My wife thinks Rick looks like Paul Newman

Jeff,

Paul Newman is dead. For awhile. I don't think he looks so good. I still have a few years left!

Sick car Rick...is that new estimate mobile hahaha

Charlie,

Funny you should mention that. Just got back from a fun drive. Stopped by 2 maintenance customers on the way home. Booked both for Spring!

Adrian,

Carlos,

Marko,

I could of swore Jake told me you got a BMW but again my hearing is at it's all time worst. What I see here is the "cream of the cream"....NICE RIDE. The 'irons have been dormant for quiet some time but Pebble Beach would be the ticket or the Presido in S.F. Never the less, find an excuse to come out. If not, I will be in NY at Matt and Jack's function in March.