Sign in to follow this  
CCHSNC

Citric Acid

Question

6 answers to this question

Yes....I use citric acid exclusively,and it works 100% just as well as oxalic. When it's said to be slower, you're talking about maybe a minute.

Oxalic is almost instantaneous, citric is within a minute you see the brightening.

I also like citric because when I order it, I don't have to worry about a hazmat shipping fee, or having to ship via a commercial carrier. Citric can be shipped via UPS with no problem.

Below is a picture I took probably 30 seconds after applying citric to a cedar deck. You can see the difference where it was and wasn't yet applied. The deck completey brightened within another minute or so, although that pic appears uneven. You can see the handle of the gun attached to my pumpcart setup.

I have not had any premature stain failure, and really the bottom line is that the acid neutralizes and brightens properly.

Oxalic is too darn toxic. If it was the only acid suitable, I'd have to use it, but since citric is available, that's the route I go.

I'm sure this is another thread somewhere concerning rinsing of oxalic and/or citric, but I'm more interested in the answer where the citric based product is concerned. Do you rinse after applying the citric? If so, is it the same, rinse, rinse & rinse again or do you leave it?

Celeste