Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

Travertine strip and reseal in Tampa

Question

Here is a travertine deck we recently finished in Avilla in Tampa.

The contractor had used Seal N Lock but did not know how to do travertine properly and the sealer was de-laminating badly. We stripped and resealed with the proper techniques so the sealer will last. Ive seen more and more contractors using Seal N Lock now in this area, but many don't want to take the time to train on how to use it properly. This cost the customer 3 times what it would have cost to have a qualified applicator do it right the first time.

post-4622-13777241051_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772410566_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772410639_thumb.jpg

post-4622-13777241073_thumb.jpg

16 answers to this question

Is that Seal N Lock again?

I've been "certified" SNL (Tampa) & done four jobs (small) with SNL. This is the first I've ever heard of de-lamination with this product. Could you please expand on the cause of this problem? I've got a very big job coming up when it gets warm enough to use here again and I don't want to mess it up.

Thank you in advance, Tim

Charlie-very carefully. Takes practice

Tim. Delamination will only happen on natural stone like travertine and granite. with regular pavers it penetrates and will not do this. Any one doing travertine is welcome to call me for tips. Or Richy is happy to take your calls also at Seal N Lock. I only know what Ive personally seen and done but he talks to contrators with other issues that I may have not seen. Ive done enough now so I think Ive seen everything, but two problems have come up in the last two months that I had never run into and had to call him for help figuring it out. Rich Colletti has been in the paver business a long time but Im happy to pass on my knowledge when I can.

david, all travertine pavers are polished, but not usually sealed.

Rick, at first glance yes, but once the tricks are learned, it pretty much remains the same, unlike wood where each deck is different. Concrete pavers are a different story though. I'm seeing more and more variations due to manufacturing processes changing, or reducing ingredients to reduce costs. Travertine, being natural, basically changes only due to the quarry its coming from.

Job looked fantastic! I am curious what is causing the SNL to fail too?

The travertine wasnt even prepped and not applied properly. Near as I can tell, it wasn't even cleaned prior to applying Seal n lock. Then the SNL was sprayed on thick with no blow off or rolling. Some people just blow it off the surface But I roll it with a foam pad so its even. You have to remember travertine is as different from pavers as pt pine is from IPE.

If your going to do travertine, you have to treat it differently than pavers, The guy that applied it on this was just in it to make a quick buck, didnt care about his work.

Ive done close to 500k sf with SNL now and I still run into different things that I have to treat differently. Just like any other sealer it takes experience.

If you are doing a travertine job, feel free to call me or call Rich at SNL for some tips.

its freshly applied but wont change appearance when dry.

You would have a chance of delaminating omly if there was no prep on a extremely dense surface.

Travertine is from the limestone family, we have had 2 instances where there was excessive amount of calcium

(efflorescence) emitting fro the travertine which created a clouding underneath the coating. Seal'n Lock sealer has never failed with delaminating with proper cleaning before sealing. What we believe is that it depends on where the travertine is mined, some do have higher amounts of calcium which can affect appearance after time. As I said there are only two instances where we saw this situation. What I can recommend is wait 60/90 days for the pavers or travertine to cycle (new installation) so that the travertine can emit the calcium hydroxide and exhaust itself, the areas that are under cover will have to be hydrated with a hose to start and complete the cycle. If anyone needs more info, call me on my cell 813-545-1200 Rich